Young and Jackson's Hotel
Ranked #8 of 194 Nightlife in Melbourne
More attraction details
Owner description: Young and Jackson is Australia's most Iconic Hotel. Beautifully restored and refurbished it is a comfortable blend of boutique bar and classic pub, a perfect destination for all occasions. Situated on the vibrant corner of Swanston and Flinders street Y&J's is the perfect place to meet with friends, watch sports on our big screens, enjoy a drink or share a meal. Our ground floor bars feature a range of over 30 taps with a focus on a wide variety of Australian Craft beer and Cider, Complemented by mainstream local classics. Chloe's Rooms on the first floor offer a relaxed destination. With comfortable couches, boutique beers, fine wine, unique cocktails and unrivalled views of Melbourne's most iconic sights. This is the home of the famous 'Chloe' who has graced the bar walls of Young and Jackson for over a century. On our rooftop is the unique and quirky Cider Bar. With 8 ciders on tap and a massive selection of local and imported ciders in bottle, this is the ideal bar to settle in for a refreshing bevie. In winter, mulled cider will keep you warm on a cold winters' eve. Food is available on all levels of the hotel with classic pub fare available in our downstairs bistro and bars and in our rooftop cider bar. Tapas and a la carte dining are available upstairs.
Reviewed April 1, 2013

Location, Location, Location
its a great place - was their just after new year - the weather was a scorcher - so went in here to get out of the heat and spent hte day watch the test match, chating with strangers - thoroughly enjoyable.

All reviews
"iconic pub"
in 11 reviews
"rooftop bar"
in 16 reviews
"opposite flinders street station"
in 15 reviews
in 21 reviews
in 8 reviews
in 6 reviews

Reviewed March 31, 2013

I used to really like going here but my most recent visit was a nightmare. I was just starting a 4th drink over a 2 hour period when I was told by security I had been cut off - no reason. There had been no problem or even a hint of a problem up until then - it had been an enjoyable evening.
I was told I could finish the drink but a few minutes later was told by security it was time to leave & the remainder of my drink taken away while two other security staff stood nearby.
I walked down three flights of stairs without using the handrail - obviously not drunk.
My friend was grabbed & pushed over by a security staff member almost to the ground. He was then pushed /bumped all the way down the stairs.
Once outside on the PUBLIC STREET I got out my camera to take a photo of the three security staff. One of them ran several metres across the public footpath & stole my camera. He threw the batteries on the ground & STOLE the SD memory card. I demanded he return the camera & he did. When I noticed the SD card missing I asked for it back & he said he did not have it.
There are hundreds of better & far safer places to go out for a drink & a meal in Melbourne.
Enjoy them & avoid Young & Jacksons for your own safety

8  Thank timthetraveller_com
Reviewed March 30, 2013 via mobile

A good choice for anyone looking for a decent and interesting beer in the city. About ten craft beers are served. Sadly no beer menu or descriptions but most staff will describe styles for you. Very noisy and bustling and unlike BeerDeluxe which is opposite you are actually inside

Reviewed March 23, 2013

Having ordered a meal after what i would call a very ordinary menu we were very dissappointed with our soup all we could taste was pepper. After taking not more than a few spoons of that ,our main course arrived ,what i would say very poor timing.Far far to quick . Main course was almost the worst fish and chips i have eaten. So all in all we were very dissapointed in the whole meal.

2  Thank Helen K
See more reviews
Reviewed March 5, 2013

I’m not sure whether the proper name for this place is the Young and Jackson Hotel or the Princes Bridge Hotel (both are shown on the outside of the building), but whichever it is, it is reputed to be one of the oldest, if not the oldest, bar/hotel in Melbourne. The hotel concierge recommended this to us as I had asked for a typical down to earth pub that the locals use and not a modern tourist-orientated place. Surprisingly he didn’t say anything about the pub’s history, but we were certainly delighted that he pointed us to this pub, as not only is it an iconic drinking place but also just what we wanted.

The corner pub is opposite Flinders Street Station, and has three bars downstairs. A back bar has a large screen showing sports which filled with locals watching the screen, a side bar is more of a lounge bar full of what appeared to be office workers, while the corner bar is geared for eating and offers a reasonable menu. Upstairs is more classy, with a more comfortable restaurant and bar, and the pub’s famous painting of Chloe on display. In fact, it has something for everyone. (For those unaware of Chloe, this is a painting of a nude lady that was first displayed at the pub in 1909. When first introduced it was said to have caused outrage amongst the conservative population, particularly the church which was reputedly incensed by it’s members rushing from the cathedral opposite into the pub to ogle Chloe!).

We went there twice, having a couple of beers from the wide range on offer before eating in the downstairs bar. Both evenings the food was good and the view of people hurrying past and the tourist horse and carriages outside made interesting viewing while dining. Prices were very reasonable, and the whole place had atmosphere – not the frenetic youthful atmosphere of the crowded South Bank restaurants but a good, old fashioned and local feel to it. I loved it.