“We will never ever choose this serviced apartment again, it's terrible!”
Review of Arrow On Swanston

Arrow On Swanston
Ranked #129 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed December 10, 2013

My family and I, altogether 6 of us, had booked the apartment half year ahead. My dad had expected the apartment's authorities to arrange two rooms which is next to each and other for us, since we had booked the apartments so early. However, it end up we have to walk to and fro from my room to my parents room for the next six days. My dad was very dissatisfied with their poor service which caused us so much problems. What's more was that one of our apartments air conditioning wasn't working properly and the whole room was so warm and humid and when we complaint to the apartment's authorities, their answer was the mechanic had left so we had to wait until the next day. Luckily the air conditioning start to get cooler after working for an hour. This has fully shown that this apartment is totally lack of maintenance and the whole room with three air conditioning only use one remote to control three of them. We were so sick of that apartment. Things get worst when we discover both of our apartments room is surrounded with musty and pungent sweaty smell which make us very uncomfortable. Besides, the cook stove they provided, again wasn't working properly, it took my mum an hour to boil us 4 eggs for breakfast. The facilities that this apartment provided was next to another building, which wasn't very convenient for the travellers to do their washing, go for a swim or gym. The location from one side wasn't very good because it's near to the tram rail and you will listen the tram pass by very frequently and the other side of the building is near to a garbage collect point, where the garbage car will do their job early in the morning about 6am to wake you up and spoil your mood. We would have change a place to stay if we had a choice, but it was peak time to travel in Melbourne and it's very hard to find a new hotel or apartment nearby for us to stay for six days so it end up we stayed here for a terrible six days, therefore we will never ever stay in this apartments again whenever we travel to Melbourne and will therefore not recommend it to anyone that we know to live there. After bad mouth about this apartment, I do have one thing that I feel quite good about this apartment, is that it's location is very near to Melboune city centre and you probably can get to any places within few minutes of walking. This is the one and only thing that make me feel good about it. That's all, hope you can make a brilliance choice before you book this not very friendly apartment.

• Stayed: December 2013
3  Thank JRWong
There are newer reviews for Arrow On Swanston

Reviewed December 3, 2013

My wife and I booked a double room for 4 nights some months ago for the last week of November, happy with price and location. We later checked TA reviews and we were quite dismayed at the number of complaints we read, small rooms, bad smells, dirty rooms, lack of daily room cleaning, low water pressure, poor unfriendly staff and all round poor service. We had regretted our choice but thought seeing we spend little time actually in the room we would grin and bear it. We were checked in by an extremely helpful and charming receptionist, we went to our room on the first floor and we were pleasantly surprised by a suitably sized exceptionally spotless room with kitchenette containing all we required. During our stay we had the option of daily room cleaning but declined, staff were friendly and helpful on all occasions we engaged them with any request. We would happily stay here again or recommend this hotel to any traveller.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kim G
Reviewed November 20, 2013

I stayed here in July for a week, room was clean, staff were helpful even though fully booked. let me say one thing...you get what you pay for!! I chose because of proximity to Melbourne University. It was walking distance to everything I wanted and a tram ride to everywhere else. had problem with internet costs but it was remedied quickly and to my satisfaction. Thank you.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed November 18, 2013

Emails not responded to prior to arrival. However we arrived around midnight and was pleased to see a staff member still there to check us in, which went smoothly. We were then kept awake all night by the fan in the bathroom that would not turn off. We woke up freezing, to find that the heat pump also did not work. Very friendly maintenance guy fixed the fan, but despite numerous efforts could not fix the heat pump, he advised that he had requested a room change but the hotel was full. He provided us with an electric heater which was really loud and smelt. On the last 2 days of our stay weather was hot, so room was boiling and we could not use air con and there are no opening windows, so again sleepless nights!! Pay phone in reception didn't work so I asked to use hotel phone to make a local call, was told no so I asked that she check with manager given the problems we have had surely i could use their phone quickly, manager refused! Room service did not attend on one of the week days (they don't attend on Sundays) and when they do attend its just to change the towels and make the bed - they don't change sheets or do your dishes! They also don't start on 9th floor until after 2pm, which is not so great when you have been out walking all day and want a quick nanna nap at 3pm. Reception staff are ok but I found only one of them was super friendly and actually smiled (Aaron? from NZ) . Our room was a twin single which had single beds in separate rooms each with a small wardrobe, desk, chair & bedside table. Whilst room is small, we felt it was ok for the two of us. Beds & pillows comfy!!! Gym is in the building next door, well equipped with 2 treadmill, crosstrainer, rower, 3 bikes, weights machine plus good selection of dumbbells. Swimming pool not heated so did not check this out. I would not stay here again, and I would definitely advise you NOT to stay here in Summer given the problem with the air con!! There is construction going on across the road, but we found this started at a reasonable hour in the mornings and it did not wake us up. (or could that just be because we were so tired from being kept awake most of the night by fan/cold/hot? I dunno!)

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
2  Thank 1vs1
Reviewed November 8, 2013

Yes well where do I start. I also stayed the nights the smoke alarms went of 4 times, yes it took ages to rectify as I was on the road side, so I could here the fire trucks running while they where looking for the fire. The next night again the fire trucks came. Also to add to no sleep you have a construction site across the road and one up the street, so they arrived a few mornings and unlocked the gates and started work, 3 AM.. .Also the first day came back to the hotel room was done but the dishes where left and the sofa bed not made. Public holiday no service though it states it on the online booking- daily housekeeping. The next day I had to ask for housekeeping at 4pm they came up and again they left the dishes and it was our 4th night but no beds where change, even though my daughters bed had chocolate on it. The apartment was tiny hardly big enough for 4 adults. Pictures are misleading .

Room Tip: Only have 3 people in an apartment as they are small. Very convenient to Lygon st and resturants.
  • Stayed: November 2013, traveled with family
4  Thank sheree s
Reviewed November 7, 2013 via mobile

** WARNING: Do not stay here **

First let's start with the positives, or should I say the one positive, the location was great. A few hundred metres from Lygon St in one direction and about the same distance to the markets on the other.

Now for the negatives:
* rooms are small and you can't get into the bed from one side
* they clearly have 'systems' issues. Our room passes didn't work on the car park. This took time to sort out.
* the air conditioners in the room didn't work
* the fire alarm went off five times between 2am and 4am on a Sunday night calling a fire truck each time and sounding a horrendously loud alarm. There was no fire - this was a 'systems' issue I was told. Worst of all there was no explanation on the night provided or apology for the 3 hours sleep I got.
* unfortunately we were put on level 1 and it was noisy as due to the traffic, trams, people outside, oh and of course the fire trucks all night.

SCATHING REVIEW I KNOW BUT YOU COULD NOT PAY ME MONEY TO STAY HERE AGAIN!!

* AVIOD AT ALL COSTS *

Stayed: November 2013, traveled with friends
4  Thank Tangbow
Reviewed October 27, 2013 via mobile

Massive disappointment from the second we arrived. Having come from the most beautiful experience at the Urban Hotel in St Kilda to this hotel was a kick in the guts... Sad entrance, sad staff who could not smile or care, took full payment as we checked in of $135 (rip off) when The Urban was $99 and faultless.... Told at check in we had a Double bed which is interesting with a 6ft4 partner. Room dark miserable and for little people. Bed did not fit in the area that was designed for it so had to crawl into it. Lucy noisy all night... I could go on forever ... AVOID AT ALL COST

• Stayed: October 2013