“you get what you pay!”
Review of Arrow On Swanston

Arrow On Swanston
Ranked #130 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed July 21, 2013

I have no times recently to write in any review and this was actually back in Jan 2013, Rooms are comfortable and clean. close to famous Vic Market, old Melbourne gaol and walking distance to Chinatown & city areas, their location was not bad as there is tram stand and taxi stand right in front of the hotel.

They provided free Wifi on public area and it is absolutely free and the speed is acceptable, I would definitely go back if I have a chance to re-visit Melbourne in future!

during my stay there is only one problem I've encountered which is their access card in their lift, sometimes it just not working and you have to tried so many times, but other than this, I think their overall service is above average and last but not least, I love Melbourne! :)

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled with family

Reviewed July 7, 2013

My partner and I stayed here for a week whilst on holiday in Melbourne, and I have to say that it was one of the nastiest hotels that we have ever had the misfortune of inhabiting. The room was tiny, the heater didn't work, both the bed and pillows were hard as stone and there was no water pressure in the shower. The fridge made a loud humming noise all night, and if the mattress was not already torturing us this would have been loud enough to keep us awake.

Also, the toaster in the room had a frayed power cord which would probably have electrocuted us if I hadn't noticed the damage.

Don't stay here, there are far better choices available.

PS: When we checked in we were told that Skybus did not service the hotel. When we were leaving we asked about the best way to get to Southern Cross Station and the attendant said that we should have booked a Skybus hotel transfer, but it was now too late as it was full. Gah!

Room Tip: Book yourself into a different hotel.
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
6  Thank Adam B
Reviewed May 28, 2013

My second stay here, for a week in May 2013. Rooms comfortable and clean, and well located to the city and a range of restaurants nearby. There's a cafe / restaurant in the basement that does OK dinners (though nothing fancy), and a small business hours cafe on the ground floor linking directly to reception. Plenty of other food places and an Aldi nearby plus a convenience store with basic supplies for stocking the fridge directly next door (though prices there are high - $5 for 2L of milk!)

My door scraped when opening it but this was fixed within 24 hours of reporting it to reception. I was at the northern end overlooking a laneway; unfortunately there was a rubbish truck that emptied bins left in that lane each morning around 5:45am and even though I was on the 4th floor it woke me up every morning. I would recommend trying to get a room facing the back of the hotel.

Room had a modern enough kitchen, shower, toilet, lounge and the basics you need. It was all quite satisfactory for what I needed without being over the top or pricey.
Overall it did what I wanted

Room Tip: Try to get something facing west, away from Swanston St and hopefully noisy laneways!
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed May 11, 2013

With a tramstop out the front and another just around the corner it is handy to everything. Vic Market is in walking distance as is the CBD. Clean, quiet rooms. I have stayed here a few times & will continue to do if I need to be in the city.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled solo
2  Thank bozlady
Reviewed May 10, 2013

I stayed here for a total of 10 days for both work and leisure, and would definately stay here again when I next come to Melbourne!

Located just out of the CBD (but within walking distance) and with the tram line just outside the hotel, it is just a short walk from Lygon Street and the Queen Victoria Markets as well as the Exhibition Centre and Museum. Perfect location for shopping, eating and culture!

The room was more like a studio apartment wih a fridge and cooking facilities, a TV, couch and table, with the comfy queen bed in a small room which also held a wardrobe. The bathroom was tiny but functional.

From my room I could look into other people's apartments at the back of the building, but I didn't pick this hotel for the view! There are plenty of restaurants within walking distance to eat at, and there is a cafe downstairs in the lobby, as well as a convenience store a couple of doors down.

If you are looking for a great place to base yourself while in Melbourne and are out and about during the day and evening then this place is perfect in my opinion.

Travel Tip: If you take the bus from Tullamarine Airport that drops you at the bus station in town, you can get a free shuttle bus from the station to this hotel.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled solo
Reviewed April 15, 2013

Here is a recommendation, when you read review here see where the reviewers are from and their age group, this will give you an idea about the compatibility of their opinion to yours. (Example-is an AC standard, or nice surprise)
If you come from North America and are used/compare to N. American standards you will find this hotel to be 3/5 as best, probably 2.5/5. Rooms are very basic, in almost any aspect. The hotel has no central facilities including no Wi-Fi, not even in the lobby.
In Australian standards the pricing is very reasonable, (in North American, they are high for what you get)
Still the hotel is well located, walking distance from downtown,
Also as a side note, the Korean restaurant just attached to the lobby entrance was great.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank ChuckLu
Reviewed April 7, 2013

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
2  Thank John K