“Some demerit factors”

Ranked #127 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Australia
“Some demerit factors”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Given there are many apartment hotels, why might you not choose this one?
It wasn’t a good start that I rode up and down the lift a few times trying to find reception. It’s off to the side of the entry doors, but not at all well signed. I then had to walk up steps to get to the lift area, which won’t suit people with bulky luggage or mobility problems.
The suite had two rooms with a bathroom in between.
The only phone cabled in though was in one of the bedrooms, not on the work bench that ran below the windows. I couldn’t figure this out, especially given there was a phone connection at the bench but it wasn’t live. I double checked with reception but this really was the normal room layout.
The cupboards were quite high. I just reached the glasses so someone who’s really, really short won’t manage at all.
The pool is outdoor and overshadowed, so having looked forward to it, I had to forgo that idea.
Looking around the breakfast room what I saw was mainly lower level business travellers and budget groups.
The bonus is being across the road from the Rialto. I ate well on the first night at Merchant Osteria between the C19th Rialto hotel and the Rialto tower foyer then the next night had a few drinks and delightful bar snacks at Bar Lui, part of the Vue de Monde (sic) restaurant. Expensive but a great view of Melbourne and the bay, ~40 floors.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
OaksCollins, Manager at Oaks on Collins, responded to this review, September 5, 2013
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property and to offer us your feedback.

It is most unfortunate that you missed the reception as we have fairly large signage at the front of the property indicating where the reception is. There is also a ramp to one end and a lift beside concierge so please look out for them on your next visit.

We also have different configurations in the rooms with cupboards and shelving so am sure we would be able to assist with one that is comfortable for you.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (300)
  • Thai first
Reviewed August 28, 2013 via mobile

Bacon and sausages were undercooked, bread rolls were stale and fruit looked like it had been there for a few days. I ate 1/3 of the meal and had breakfast elsewhere. I have stayed in a lot of hotels and this was one of the worst breakfasts I have ever (not) had. Food aside, the hotel was perfectly fine.

• Stayed August 2013
Dear guest

Thank you for your valued feedback.

It is pleasing to hear that you found the hotel perfectly fine.

However it is extremely disappointing to hear your comments about the breakfast.

It is highly unusual as feedback about our breakfast buffet is usually very good,rest assured that this has been discussed with our Executive Chef and measures put in place to ensure that a similar incident does not take place.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Regards

Travelers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

Tasmania
Reviewed August 21, 2013

We arrived far too early to be booked in and were offered use of the baggage room, which we accepted gratefully. This left us free to wander Melbourne streets without dragging our bags along.
When we got to our allocated room we unpacked our clothing in to the adequate cupboards and drawers and settled in to have a quiet drink. It was then that we noticed the spartan cooking equipment and accessories. While there was an adequate microwave oven, there were no microwave cooking bowls in which to steam vegetables or heat porridge. There was just enough cutlery items for one meal, which negated the value of the dishwasher. And only one wine glass. A request to the front desk rectified that promptly and courteously.
Later in the evening as the temperature began to cool and I attempted to set the air-conditioner to heat, but it would not work at all. Rang the front desk again and up came assistance with a heater in hand. He attempted to get the aircon working to no avail and offered us a room change. Given that we had all our clothing unpacked into the wardrobes (and it was late) we declined and were supplied with another small heater.
Preparing for bed I noted that the vanity basin plug could not be closed, but it didn't matter because the sink was not draining very quickly at all. Removing the plug revealed a gelatinous mess blocking the outlet. At home I would have cleaned that myself, but this mess had been building up for some time so I left it and advised the front desk the next morning. It was rectified when we got back to the room in the afternoon. The vanity shelf appears to have been fitted at some stage because the mounting plates are still on the wall. The shelf itself was missing. Trying to use a very small vanity basin with no shelf to put ones toiletries is a real pain.
The shower cubicle was adequate but the hot and cold water indicators were missing, but it was not too big a problem to work it out, with one tap you froze, the other you got burned. The general condition of the cubicle was poor with several areas of mold obvious. A bit disappointing! Overall, I would suggest staying away from this establishment, it simply is being allowed to run down.

Room Tip: I would simply find another hotel.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank RoddogTasmania
OaksCollins, Manager at Oaks on Collins, responded to this review, August 22, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is extremely disappointing to hear that we were not able to meet your expectations in certain aspects and that your stay was marred by these issues however it is pleasing to hear that the the staff did try their best to offer assistance and a resolution.

Rest assured that your comments about the cleaning & maintenance have been urgently discussed with our Executive Housekeeper & Maintenance Manager and steps will be taken to curtail a reoccurrence.

We do hope that you give us another chance in order for us to change your mind.

Please do not hesitate to get in touch with the hotel direct.

Hobart, Australia
Reviewed August 19, 2013

It has been sometime since I last stayed at this Hotel. Clearly it has become tired and the staff really don't care. The bed was very old and tired. Black mold was all through the shower area, there was no shelf for placing things in the bathroom and we were not game to place towels on the rack for fear that it would fall off the wall (even the person servicing the room left the towels on the bed). The only good thing was breakfast, lots of choice and hot food. My security deposit I am told will not be refunded for up to 10 working days yet I paid on leaving - interest in their pocket - every other hotel I have stayed at reverses this deposit at the time of leaving.

Room Tip: try and stay away from the Collins St side
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Guest,

It is pleasing to hear that you enjoyed the choice and hot food available on our buffet breakfast; we get regular feedback about the excellent value for money it represents.

On another note it is disappointing to hear that we were not able to meet your expectations in certain aspects and that your stay was marred by these issues, rest assured that your comments about the cleaning have been discussed with our Executive Housekeeper and steps will be taken to curtail a reoccurrence.

On your next visit look out for our clever cabinet concealed behind the mirror for storage of toiletries.

Regarding your comments about your security deposit it does get released immediately if you use it for payment of the room & incidentals and the team are more than happy to send a fax to the bank if you change your mind and choose to pay by cash and would like the funds released immediately – You can be assured that there is absolutely no interest involved.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Sydney
Reviewed August 17, 2013

I arrived very early on a sat morning and didn't expect a room to be available but I had advised of an early arrival through Hotel Club and when I asked the receptionist if a room would be available she automatically said "no sorry" without even touching her keyboard, so I asked if I could store my baggage and she said of course and I handed her my credit card and then she was surprised herself that my room was actually ready, for which I was very greatful after only a couple of hours sleep.
The room 1501 was one with internal corridor window, which was ok as it was at the end of the corridor where there was some natural light coming in from the windows at the end of the corridor and it was a large window, however it needed a sheer curtain to give some privacy and allow natural light in during the day, without that the heavy curtains had to be closed and even with full lighting the room felt like a cave, on the plus side I was able to have a couple of nice long sleep ins. I felt the room was very large but the living area wasted and the small TV way over on the end of the kitchen cupboards looked like a post it note and was not very comfortable to watch from the lounge.
The room amenities were a bit of a bug bear with me, there was only one cup, one dessert spoon and a bread knife, no kitchen knife, try cutting a piece of meat with a bread knife! And no wine glasses, drinking vino out of a tumbler took me back to my college days, this is a bit of a watch point as on check in you are provided with a very concise property information list which further on it covers breakages and damages, stating that "All apartments are fully equipped with a standard inventory. Please report any breakages, missing items or damaged property to reception. The cost of replacement or repair of any items broken or damaged is the responsibility of the guest". Now if you are going to uphold this clause, then you should actually have a standard inventory, perhaps printed and laminated in the kitchen. I mentioned the missing items on check out and the receptionist just said sorry. I said to her that it was ok with me as long as I don't get charged for it. My other sore point on amenities was not replacing anything, the room was cleaned well, but soap, shampoo and tea and coffee were not replenished on either day, now I travel with my own toiletries but do use the hotel soap and shampoo to cut down on travel baggage, these were not replenished and I used the 4 coffee sachets and these were never replenished, this just looked like skimping as the room was cleaned well each day. Apart from a strange look of the bed linen, it looked like the valance on the bed base was too large and a bit rumpled and the blankets and sheets were not made up on the bed far enough to cover your shoulders and I found it annoying while trying to sleep. Many other reviews here refer to the frosted glass bathroom being too small and the frosted glass not being private, this was not a problem, the size was ok for myself and once I worked out the shower flow I enjoyed the shower, the bathroom sink for a male shaving is a pain in the butt, the sink needs to be changed to a small circular sink, it would fit the bathroom and be comfortable to use, the storage was not as dire as some reviewers have made out. I used the top of the toilet cistern as well as the shelf behind the vanity mirror, granted it is not right in front of you, given the size of the sink, you wouldn't want anything there anyway. there was the occaissional bit of plumbing noise but nothing major.
The swimming pool looked so nice, but it was outdoor, in the Melbourne winter and unheated so it was really just a water feature, if it were summer I would have used it.
Overall, the room was very comfortable and spacious, but not as good as the Oaks Embassy in Adelaide or the unserviced istay River City in Brisbane, the amenities in these two properties were spot on. I would stay here again if the price was right but it would not be my first choice in Melbourne.

Room Tip: If there is a better deal for a few dollars more for the executive studio then pay for it, otherwise...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank Airline_GuySydney
Dear Guest,

It is pleasing to hear that overall you found the room very comfortable, spacious and well cleaned and that that you enjoyed an early c/in which when available we are more than happy to offer to our valued guests.

However it is disappointing to hear your comments about the inventory & missing amenities which have been reiterated with our Executive Housekeeper and steps will be taken to curtail a reoccurrence.

Again, thank you for your feedback and we look forward to welcoming you back in one of our executive rooms.

Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed August 12, 2013

Myself, my husband and our 20 month old son stayed here for 2 nights in August. We stayed in an executive studio room (we were upgraded for free after asking about a balcony, which was we much appreciated.) which size wise was what one should expect in Melbourne CBD. There where some other up-sides and down sides to our stay which I will list below:-

GOOD THINGS
1. Very friendly restaurant staff. With a very loud and naughty 20 month old they made us feel at ease.
2. Nice room and furniture, the TV is small but still watchable.
3. Great location.
4. We left our sons jacket and bottle lid in the restaurant one night after we had dinner, no more than 2 minutes after arriving back in our room non the wiser that we had forgotten anything a friendly staff member knocked on our door and returned the items to us.
5. Upon waking one morning at 5.50am to our sons cries we realised that we had ran out of milk. We rang reception and asked if they had any we could use and they promptly brought some up to the room for us. Greatly appreciated by a tired Mommy and Daddy.
6. Buffet breakfast was very well priced and has an amazing view.

DOWN-SIDES
1. The parking - my goodness it was a nightmare. When we arrived at the car park the friendly attendant told us that it was full and that we would have to go in and see reception. So I jump out of the car quickly while hubby waits in the car with baby. When I get back there is a car behind him blaring their horn because our car was in their way. He could not leave and drive around the block because goodness knows if he would find his way back to me! Reception gave me direction to another carpark. Driving in a city that you don't know with a toddler is a nightmare on it's own, and having to leave and drive a block down to another carpark made this 3 times worse. Never mind having to haul our luggage and a toddler through the city. And believe me you have to pack a lot of stuff when you are travelling with a child. Walking with a toddler, pram, port-cot, 2 suitcases, a shoulder bag, a hand bag and a nappy bag is no easy feat!
2. Having to haul all of our stuff up the 2 sets of stairs to the lift. Even though the staff saw that we had a toddler no one offered to help us.
3. Reception staff are not very welcoming. Maybe they are not fond of children. Or maybe they were just uncomfortable because they could tell I was upset with the whole situation.
4. While the room we stayed in had a fridge, microwave and stove there were very limited supplies to cook and eat with.
5. The restaurant does not have a very expensive cocktail menu although they are cheap at $10 each. I asked for a Pina Colada and they did not have the ingredients to make this for me.

All in all this is a good value Hotel with a great location and you get what you pay for.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
OaksCollins, Manager at Oaks on Collins, responded to this review, August 15, 2013
Dear Guest,

It is pleasing to hear that you enjoyed our studio executive room, restaurant, breakfast buffet and you found the restaurant staff very friendly and our reception staff assisted with bringing milk for your baby at 6am.

However it is disappointing that we were unable to meet your expectations on a few issues and that your stay was marred by this.

Unfortunately the car park below is a public car park and due to it being full on several occasions we have negotiated an arrangement for discounted parking where you were sent as it ordinarily it would cost you $65 per day to park and I am sorry that it inconvenienced you.

There is actually a ramp on the side entrance and a lift behind the concierge desk to take you from ground to the 1st floor and it is unfortunate that this was missed.

We do look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed August 12, 2013

A beautifully appointed room and I thought ' nice hotel'
Then eftpos machine not working in the restaurant. No one with any maturity or experience was available so 2 parties of diners were made to wait while 20 minutes to pay our bill, there were only 5 guests in the restaurant while I was there.

The lower sheet on my bed was wrinkled and indented where someone had laid. It looks as though the sheets were not changed from previous visitor. I was so exhausted from a big day at work , I slept on the edge of the other side of the bed. A 3rd world experience in Melbourne.

The lift pass worked erratically, a staff member said that was commonplace. So I got caught in the lift for some time before pass would engage.
And to top it off they rang me after 10.30 twice on room phone. The second time I did not rouse myself from sleep as I need to get up for work the next day.

Thoroughly disappointed. I expected much more from oaks on Collins!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Optom2013
Dear Guest,

At Oaks on Collins we ensure that a comment/feedback from any of our guests is dealt with as soon as we are made aware of it and this then ensures what we hope to be an enjoyable stay for all our guests.

In your instance we were under the impression that you were satisfied with the action taken and sincere apologies given when you initially raised these issues upon departure.

Unfortunately there was a system error in our restaurant on the night which had a domino effect on the operations on the night.

I can assure you that all our linen is changed daily however your feedback has been discussed with our Executive housekeeper.

As you mentioned that you found the room to be beautifully appointed we hope to welcome you back at a later date and look forward to exceeding your expectations.