“A Winter Break”

Oaks on Collins
Ranked #129 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
“A Winter Break”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

We stayed at this hotel in July.
It is perfectly placed for a trip to Melbourne, be it for shopping, football or the many fine restaurants near by. It is close to everything and has many options for getting around the city on it's door step. There is the tram,catching a taxi or walking and enjoying city
The room we had for the first part of our stay was on the sixth floor and except for some noisy guests was a nice room The bathroom is small but served us well.
The room was made up everyday and on the night we came back tired and in need of a sugar hit the room service provided certainly hit the spot.
We returned to the Oaks for one night at the end of our holiday and again enjoyed a nice room. There were three of us in this room and as the one who opted for the rollaway bed I would have to say I slept well.
I have read some other not so favourable reviews of this hotel and I must say that we did not encounter poor service. We did not eat breakfast at the Oaks, preferring to find a different cafe every morning so I can not comment on this service.
I would recommend this hotel to family and friends.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel are overlooked by a large office block where light are left on all ni...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank 255103Sally
OaksCollins, Manager at Oaks on Collins, responded to this review, August 5, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you for your feedback.

It is pleasing to hear that you had good service and had an enjoyable stay.

We do look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Melbourne.

Regards

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (294)
  • Thai first
Brisbane
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

Although the room was on the small side, it was the bathroom that was disappointing. No vanity unit and nowhere to put any toiletries. The hotel is in a great location. The foyer area of the hotel comes to life in the morning and it is worth calling in for breakfast. The hotel does not do room service, apart from recommending a buffet breakfast. The best value for money breakfast is in the foyer as mentioned above.

1 Thank kiwibrent1968

Thank you for your feedback.

It is pleasing to hear that you enjoyed our buffet breakfast and found it value for money.
For future reference we do offer room service for our dinner session only.

For your next visit please note that our mirror in the bathroom actually doubles as a storage cabinet with shelving ,hair dryer,power point and additional amenities.

We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Adelaide, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 26, 2013

We were booked into this hotel to attend meeting in Melbourne. We arrived from interstate and arrived around noon. We asked if we coukd check in as we were tired and wanted to relax. Person who served us not very helpful.
We ended up hauling luggage up steps to have our bags stored. Again staff not that friendly. When we finally got into our studio room was little disappointed. Room quite large but wasted space. Shower area very small and not user friendly. Glass partition and not that private and badly designed. Mirrored cabinet above toilet only place to put things no vanity only sink. Kitchen area also disappointing. Only one fork one pot etc so couldnt cook or eat in. Also no bed lights only lamp on desk. Bed and pillows comfortable. TV small and not best position to watch in bed. The breakfast was good value and staff were helpful.

1 Thank 277Gaynor

Thank you for your feedback.

We are glad you found the breakfast good value and the staff helpful.

It is disappointing to note that the staff could not check you in early.Early check-ins are based on our availability and if we had rooms ready we would have been more than happy to check you in.

We do have various configurations in all our rooms including ones with larger bathrooms so please do not hesitate to ask our helpful staff for assistance.

We do look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit.

New York City, New York
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 24, 2013

I would've been there all day complaining. I've stayed in dumpy efficiency motels before, in Florida for $20 a night. I can handle that because I know what I'm getting for the price. But when the last night of a three-night stay is $264 a night, I certainly expect better. After the first night, I had to ask them to change my room because I wasn't going to put up with a lumpy mattress and a rattling air-conditioning unit that gave off no heat for another two nights. They did switch my room, no problem. Still, a bathroom with no place to put toiletries, except a dingy steel cabinet that's cluttered with junk. Internet that cost $60 for a day because I actually watched a Neflix movie and went over their 1,000 meg limit. But it was still better to watch a movie on the laptop because the screen was bigger than the 1997 LCD TV hanging from the ceiling. Unless you're desperate to have a stove (and good luck finding plates and utensils), there certainly are a lot of better hotels in the area, with a much better value for the money.

Room Tip: If there is a good room, I didn't see it.
1 Thank joeinnyc13
OaksCollins, Manager at Oaks on Collins, responded to this review, July 25, 2013

Thank you for your feedback.

It was most unfortunate that you were unhappy about certian aspects of your stay.

The plates and utensils are actually located in the drawers either above the hot plate or below depending on the configuration of the unit.

The bathroom cabinet actually houses the hair dryer and additional amenities and housekeeping would have gladly relocated that for you.

Our internet charges are highly competitive in the market and all terms and conditions are laid out by our third party provider prior to guests accepting them.

Should you have any further queries or wish to discuss further please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Regards

Travelers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2013

Hotel is in great location for walking to a lot of sights. Be aware that there are two sets of stairs that you have to lug your luggage up to get to the lifts and no one offered to help us. I travelled with a friend and we had both booked the same on line deal (we had booked separately due to wanting to pay that way). We didn't arrive till midnight and was told that 1 room on floor 11 and the other on floor 6, which wasn't really an issue till we saw the rooms. My friend was on floor 11 with nice view out onto Collins Street, my room on floor 6 was dark with a window that looked into the hallway!! As it was late didn't raise this as an issue till next morning. When I asked about the difference in rooms, I was told that my friend must have paid for an executive studio and that is why she had a view. I pointed out we both booked the same on line deal and that I had never had a room with a window looking into a hallway before. They said they would check room availability and call me back but that a lot of their rooms had "internal" windows!! About 10mins later they said they could give me a free upgrade to an executive room on the same floor as my friend this time but next time I go to book I need to ask for a room with a outside facing window, and pay more, if that is what I want. Next room was good with view onto Collins Street. The rooms themselves were clean, the beds comfortable and the two rooms on the 11th floor were a very good size. The only other problem is with their bathrooms (the same in the 3 rooms we saw). Sink is tiny and you tend to splash water everywhere. 2 out of the 3 had no where for you to put your own things (there used to a glass shelf under the mirror but it would seem when these break they are not replaced, just the brackets lefts there). The bathrooms are made from "privacy" glass which isn't really that private so not good if you are sharing a room with someone. The bar was good and the bar staff were very friendly (cant say the same for the rest of the staff) We had the buffet breakfast on two mornings and it had a good range of hot and cold foods and was good value for money. I had an online deal and felt that this was the right price for this hotel, would not have been happy if I had paid more for it.

Room Tip: You need to ask if you want a room with a window that faces out onto the street, don't assume al...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for your feedback.

It is pleasing to hear that you found the bar staff friendly and the rooms clean,beds comfortable and enjoyed the free upgrade to an executive room.

Concealed behind the mirror is a storage cabinet as well and it was unfortunate that this was missed as it actually houses the hair dryer and additional amenities.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Melbourne.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 18, 2013

Located opposite the intercontinental on Collins street at about half the price. Rooms are compact with a very very small " wet " bathroom. TV not well positioned to watch from the bed. You can end up in a room with no windows , not good if you are claustaphobic . Supposed to be a fully equipped kitchen , but last time I was there lucky to be able to find a glass !

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
OaksCollins, Manager at Oaks on Collins, responded to this review, July 22, 2013

Thank you for your feedback.

The hotel has several room configurations within the individual room types hence the TV placements are adjusted to either watch from the bed or the lounge.

Our studios are internal and this is what is advertised as well hence they always have the best deals on them.

In some instances objects appear to be missing from the inventory, I can assure you that we have a fully equipped kitchen with sufficient utensils that we provide within the apartment.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay.

Brisbane, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 16, 2013

This hotel is a disgrace! We booked a studio executive in this self-rated 4.5 star hotel, and we will never return.
The 'full kitchen' featured a stove, but nothing to cook with.
We requested an extra blanket and pillow, but were declined by staff.
The pillows on the bed were old, lumpy and brown.
The rollaway bed was so uncomfortable, I would not even let my dog sleep on it. It would have been cheaper to book another room, than spend the following week at a Physio.
The reception staff were the most cold, unwelcoming, and unhelpful lot of people I have ever come across in a hotel.
DO NOT waste your money on this establishment. The managers of this hotel should be ashamed of themselves.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
6 Thank Brookesaff

Thank you for your feedback.

It is extremely disappointing to hear about your recent stay especially your comments about the reception staff as the team usually gets excellent feedback for customer service.

We would be grateful if you get in touch with the hotel so this can be discussed further.