“Good location - check your room has window”
Review of Oaks on Collins

Oaks on Collins
Ranked #124 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed July 22, 2013

Hotel is in great location for walking to a lot of sights. Be aware that there are two sets of stairs that you have to lug your luggage up to get to the lifts and no one offered to help us. I travelled with a friend and we had both booked the same on line deal (we had booked separately due to wanting to pay that way). We didn't arrive till midnight and was told that 1 room on floor 11 and the other on floor 6, which wasn't really an issue till we saw the rooms. My friend was on floor 11 with nice view out onto Collins Street, my room on floor 6 was dark with a window that looked into the hallway!! As it was late didn't raise this as an issue till next morning. When I asked about the difference in rooms, I was told that my friend must have paid for an executive studio and that is why she had a view. I pointed out we both booked the same on line deal and that I had never had a room with a window looking into a hallway before. They said they would check room availability and call me back but that a lot of their rooms had "internal" windows!! About 10mins later they said they could give me a free upgrade to an executive room on the same floor as my friend this time but next time I go to book I need to ask for a room with a outside facing window, and pay more, if that is what I want. Next room was good with view onto Collins Street. The rooms themselves were clean, the beds comfortable and the two rooms on the 11th floor were a very good size. The only other problem is with their bathrooms (the same in the 3 rooms we saw). Sink is tiny and you tend to splash water everywhere. 2 out of the 3 had no where for you to put your own things (there used to a glass shelf under the mirror but it would seem when these break they are not replaced, just the brackets lefts there). The bathrooms are made from "privacy" glass which isn't really that private so not good if you are sharing a room with someone. The bar was good and the bar staff were very friendly (cant say the same for the rest of the staff) We had the buffet breakfast on two mornings and it had a good range of hot and cold foods and was good value for money. I had an online deal and felt that this was the right price for this hotel, would not have been happy if I had paid more for it.

Room Tip: You need to ask if you want a room with a window that faces out onto the street, don't assume al...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with friends
OaksCollins, Manager at Oaks on Collins, responded to this reviewResponded July 25, 2013

Thank you for your feedback.

It is pleasing to hear that you found the bar staff friendly and the rooms clean,beds comfortable and enjoyed the free upgrade to an executive room.

Concealed behind the mirror is a storage cabinet as well and it was unfortunate that this was missed as it actually houses the hair dryer and additional amenities.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next visit to Melbourne.

Reviewed July 18, 2013

Located opposite the intercontinental on Collins street at about half the price. Rooms are compact with a very very small " wet " bathroom. TV not well positioned to watch from the bed. You can end up in a room with no windows , not good if you are claustaphobic . Supposed to be a fully equipped kitchen , but last time I was there lucky to be able to find a glass !

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
OaksCollins, Manager at Oaks on Collins, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2013

Thank you for your feedback.

The hotel has several room configurations within the individual room types hence the TV placements are adjusted to either watch from the bed or the lounge.

Our studios are internal and this is what is advertised as well hence they always have the best deals on them.

In some instances objects appear to be missing from the inventory, I can assure you that we have a fully equipped kitchen with sufficient utensils that we provide within the apartment.

We look forward to welcoming you back on your next stay.

Reviewed July 16, 2013

This hotel is a disgrace! We booked a studio executive in this self-rated 4.5 star hotel, and we will never return.
The 'full kitchen' featured a stove, but nothing to cook with.
We requested an extra blanket and pillow, but were declined by staff.
The pillows on the bed were old, lumpy and brown.
The rollaway bed was so uncomfortable, I would not even let my dog sleep on it. It would have been cheaper to book another room, than spend the following week at a Physio.
The reception staff were the most cold, unwelcoming, and unhelpful lot of people I have ever come across in a hotel.
DO NOT waste your money on this establishment. The managers of this hotel should be ashamed of themselves.

6  Thank Brookesaff

Thank you for your feedback.

It is extremely disappointing to hear about your recent stay especially your comments about the reception staff as the team usually gets excellent feedback for customer service.

We would be grateful if you get in touch with the hotel so this can be discussed further.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

We had one night in a room which we thought was supposed to be a two bedroom appartment. The room on the 8th floor was very spacious (some wasted space really) kitchenette with microwave, sink and full size fridge. There was one separate bedroom with queen bed but the partitioning wall was glass with a sheer curtain. No privacy at all. The other queen bed was in the main living area in an alcove with very little space either side. The small ensuite was between the two beds. The beds were comfy, the pillows ordinary except for two. Linen was quite Ok. The shower with curtain was quite good too. As we stayed with our adult daughter the bed situation was not so much of a problem but had we have booked this with friends we would not have been comfortable at all with the lack of privacy. Also be prepared to lug your own luggage up some stairs to the lifts. There is a bar and cafe just behind reception for breakfast, coffee, lunch and dinner. Location is closer to the Docklands end of Collins Street, a Nice walk over to the Casino. We enjoy walking so the location was good for us.
We had a look at the health club and found it to be adequate with a small lap pool and gym with the usual treadmills, bikes etc, sauna.

Room Tip: 809 is a room at the very end of the Collin Street side. Nice outlook but make sure you are happy wi...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family
OaksCollins, Manager at Oaks on Collins, responded to this reviewResponded July 14, 2013

Thank you for your feedback.

We have done our best to ensure that all our marketing and advertising material states that it is an open plan Cosmo Apartment with the bedding configuration of two queen beds.For this very reason it is ideal for families.

We are glad to hear that you found the beds comfy,linen ok and the facilities in the hotel enjoyable.

For your next stay please note that we actually have a ramp to the right of the hotel and a lift beside concierge so you do not have to carry your bags up the stairs.

Reviewed July 11, 2013

Stayed at the Oaks on Collins for work. The location is great and the room was very clean and the bed comfortable. The room overlooked Collins Street and was on one of the lower floors. It was very quiet and there was no street or internal noise. The main problem with the room was the layout. The bed was very close to the bathroom which was basically a glassed in room. I was glad I was the only one in the room as I could imagine that there would not be much privacy or soundproofing. The bathroom was cleverly designed but there was nowhere to hang towels.

There was a kitchenette in the room which was well equipped, but the crockery was stored up high and I had difficulty reaching the cupboards and I am of average height. The TV is small and placed on the wall near a cupboard, and it could only be viewed from the bed and only from a funny angle. There was a comfortable lounge, but it was on the same wall as the TV which meant that the TV could only be viewed while lying on the bed. The TV was also too small for the room and the only place where I could get a good view was sitting on the very edge of the bed. The room was large, but the kitchenette took up too much space and its positioning affected the layout of bed and placement of the TV.

Although the room was clean and well maintained, the layout made it a physically uncomfortable stay.

• Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback.

It is pleasing to hear that you found the room clean and the bed comfortable.

It is unfortunate however to note your unhappiness with the layout of the room. As we have several different layouts of the similar room type please do not hesitate to speak to our reception team and we can move you to one of your liking.

You will be pleased to know that the process is underway of redoing the layout of a few rooms based on feedback given by our valued guests.

Reviewed July 10, 2013

Went in July, convenient to southn cross station (5 min walk) Took sky bus from airport straight to station then walked to hotel. It's across the road from taxi stand, and easy walk to casino area and major shops. The hotel itself was clean and tidy, staff attentive. I would recommend this hotel if you want to stay in central melbourne. Buffet breakfast also good.

1  Thank MrDigby100
OaksCollins, Manager at Oaks on Collins, responded to this reviewResponded July 11, 2013

Dear guest

Thank you for your positive feedback.

It is pleasing to hear that you found our staff attentive ,hotel clean and the buffet breakfast good.

Reviewed July 8, 2013

Spent a night at the Oaks on Collins in early July, on business. Got there late, and left pretty early in the morning, so my experience was limited.

The most striking thing about the place is that the reception seems to be perched to the right hand side of the main entrance. You go and check in, then you have to drag your bags back out of the reception, up half a dozen steps and through another door to get into the actual hotel. And, there were multiple doors. It was frustrating at 22:30 when all I wanted to do is get to my room and crash into bed and it got congested at peak times when I was seeking to check out and get stored bags.

Otherwise, the room itself was pretty good. Spacious. Bed was comfortable. The bathroom was glass, and a bit on the narrow side, but everything worked. The TV was small and perched up high in a corner of the room, and I had to contort my arm to change channels from bed. But these, as they say, are First World problems. It was generally fine.

The Staff were friendly and obliging.

It is located on the unfashionable end of Collins Street in central Melbourne - a bit of a walk from the fun bits, but close to one of my all-time favourite riverside running tracks, which was comfortably cool on the morning I ran.

Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Thank you for your feedback.

It is pleasing to hear that you found our staff friendly and obliging,the rooms good and your bed comfortable.