“Cosy apartment but WiFi issues.”

Alto Hotel on Bourke
Ranked #10 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 3, 2013

I have my favourite places to stay in Melbourne for work but upon a friend's recommendation I decided to try the Alto. Check in was prompt & more professional than friendly. The 2 bedroom apartment was clean and "cosy" - probably a little too cosy for my liking but fine for a couple of days. Bed was super comfortable. I had issues with wifi connection and no one at reception was able to help other than to offer a cable which I had to get myself. Had the trip not been for work it wouldn't have bothered me but time is money & it was a hassle. I didn't eat breakfast here as the menu was not at all appealing, but grabbed a great breakkie at the cafe a few doors down. I would stay here again but next time would abandon my colleague and stay in a one bedroom in the hope it was a little more spacious.

• Stayed: July 2013
AltoMelbourne, General Manager at Alto Hotel on Bourke, responded to this reviewResponded September 3, 2013

Great to read another guest found our Alto Indulgence bed "super comfortable" as a good nights sleep is often the main aspect wanted from a hotel. Our 2 bedroom apartments are cosy but with all the things you need like 100+ channels of Fotxel & Freeview on a LED HD TV, safe, iron and board, hairdryer, free espresso coffee and fruit in the guest lounge and prompt, profession service. and of course free wifi. While we have armed ourselves with common issues with most computers there are some tech issues beyond our knowledge base. I am glad that we had a cable for ethernet connection at reception that could be used to get online. We are in the final stages of upgrading our wifi network which will solves some tech issues that arise from time to time.

Our continental buffet has a wide range of items and the cooked to order menu options including New York Bagel, Brioche with avocado and cream cheese, french toast and pancakes plus eggs in a variety of styles and combinations. We revise the menu regularly and will do so again to try and make it more appealing.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

Stayed for 6 nights, initially selected this hotel for location and parking. Would return thanks to very knowledgeable staff, very up to date facilities (ready to go HDMI cable for the main TV for example) overall excellent quality.

Very happy for the price paid!

Room Tip: There is a bit of tram noise for the forward apartments (Queen Spa ones) would avoid for light sleep...
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Nathan W
AltoMelbourne, General Manager at Alto Hotel on Bourke, responded to this reviewResponded September 1, 2013

Thank you Nathan W. We do try to keep our guest service team up to date on local happenings and general knowledge of Melbourne. Generally we listen to what guests need and find answers that we can use again as the needs of one travelers are likely to arise again from another guest.

The HDMI & USB connection to our LED HD TV's is proving to be much appreciated. The choice of 100+ Foxtel and Freeview channels adds even more viewing choice.

Yarra Trams have been working with us to resolved some minor noise from some trams and have added a speed restriction sign as speeding trams at the crossover points near the hotel are the cause. Yarra Trams plan to repair to fault soon when the track is shut down for other maintenance

Reviewed August 30, 2013

We chose to stay at Alto on Bourke due to its proximity to Southern Cross Station. It was certainly an easy walk from the sky bus drop off point and a comfortable experience overall. The highlights for us were the incredibly comfortable bed and the the restored building with windows you could open. The room we had was a petite queen which was indeed very petite, in fact more suited to a solo traveller but manageable for a couple not wanting to spend too much time in their room. When on holiday in Melbourne we prefer to stay in Southbank but as we had work commitments this side of town, Alton on Bourke met our requirements.

1  Thank jaz09
Reviewed August 29, 2013

Stayed 2 nights . Moderate priced and cheap overnight packing available just walking distance.. Very good location and ;you are able to walk everywhere , shopping , restaurant etc.
The staffs are very friendly and nothing too much to ask.
The room is a bit small but have a very comfortable bed.
Will certainly stay again in the future.

Reviewed August 29, 2013

I stayed two nights on a business trip, where location (rather than facilities) was the key concern.

Key positives:
* Location - the hotel is a 3 minute walk from Southern Cross Station, where the Skybus arrives from the airport. Being on Bourke Street, with a tram stop outside, you're in the heart of the business district. 5-10 minute walk to Southbank.
* Free internet - with a separate user ID/password issued for each device.
* Friendly service - warm welcome from the front desk. My room wasn't ready when I arrived around 10am, but they had good suggestions where to go for breakfast. My room was ready when I returned at noon.
* Comfortable room size - suited my needs very well, with king size bed, couch, desk
* Clean bathroom - 'nuff said
* Green operations - a sign in the room says the hotel runs 100% on wind power. Wasn't my key consideration when booking, but nice to know. And you can donate A$4 at the front desk to plant a tree.

Drawbacks:
Almost too petty to mention, but...
* Window looked onto a wall - didn't worry me, as I was out and about most of the time. Plus the central location was good value for money. But yeah, don't expect great city views from the first floor.

I did not use the lounge or restaurant.

Room Tip: If you must have a view out the window, specify this when booking. I had booked a Studio but got up...
3  Thank Mark L

Thank you Mark L. Glad you had a good stay at Alto your review sums up our hotel quite well. Friendly, efficient, clean and "green" all in a convenient location. Free Wi-Fi is one of the services everyone likes and usually make good use of. We are about to upgrade our WiFi network to ensure we are prepared for the ever increasing use of mobile devices.

Yes we are a small boutique hotel in large city so views are limited, however all rooms have a window or in some cases a balcony that can be opened for fresh air.

Reviewed August 27, 2013

I was attracted to this hotel the first time because if its environmentally friendly stance but continue to go back every time I am in Melbourne because it is the entire package; great staff who know Melbourne and take the time to serve you without being impatient, good value quality meals, free wi-fi, free foxtel and free coffee!! The rooms are always spotlessly clean and quiet with a shower head to die for - a proper shower with decent pressure. The prices are very reasonable and if you book early enough you can get a deal with a breakfast included. The rooms have windows that open and there is a book swap which has a surprisingly decent diverse range of books.
The Alto is within walking distance to the Southern Cross Station even for unfit people like me, supermarkets, other restuarants and has a tram stop about 50m away - but you don't hear the trams from your room.
The only negative I can think of is that some of the rooms are on the small side compared with other hotels.

1  Thank Jenny F
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Had a 3 day weekend with friends and stayed at this Hotel. We enjoyed our stay enormously. The staff were delightful, helpful and very efficient. The hotel is central to everything, moderately priced with super comfortable beds. Although on busy Bourke Street, we heard little noise in our room. We had a B&B deal and can only say the breakfasts were outstanding with such an amazing choice on the menu. Every morning was a treat and everything cooked to perfection and served by courteous smiling staff. Also loved the free coffees available 24 hours. We were even able to sit in the lounge area and watch the Bledisloe Cup in comfort - a lovely homely atmosphere. Would definitely return again. Thank you

Room Tip: Rooms facing the alley are very quiet.
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled with friends