“Great Value for Money at the Alto on Bourke”

Alto Hotel on Bourke
Ranked #10 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Herts. UK
Reviewed March 27, 2008

Good location nice rooms very well equipped. Very clean. Helpful staff.

• Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
Brisbane, Australia
Reviewed March 21, 2008

My boyfriend I stayed at Alto hotel for 3 nights from 06/03/08 and we booked the studio apartment (min. 3 nights) for $140/145 per night from wotif.com. Our deal included full breakfast buffet, free internet and carpark. We booked Alto after reading all the nice reviews about it on this website and I’m proud to say I’m very happy that I made the right decision! For the price we paid, I believe it was definitely worth the value and I would recommend any bargain hunters looking for decent accommodation in Melbourne.

LOCATION – great! After we got off from Skybus at the Southern Cross Station we only had to walk for less than 2 min before arriving at Alto. It was easy to find as you only need to walk along Bourke St and you can’t miss it. The location was very convenient with tram stops close by to get you around other parts of the CBD if needed.

ROOM – new, clean and had no smell!!! You can open the windows and get some fresh air when you don’t want the air conditioning to be on all the time. It’s something I value because we all need fresh air and be nice to our planet sometimes. I also enjoyed the overall lighting of the room. There is sufficient natural light coming in and there are blinds for you to adjust it to suit your preference. We didn’t have any problem with the size of the studio apartment like some other reviewers did as we didn’t have much luggage and we weren’t staying for long, although the room is a bit smaller than expected. It certainly looks more spacious on the photos.

BATHROOM – well maintained and I can’t fault it at all!!! I loved the bathroom, especially all the refillable soap, shampoo dispensers installed on the wall. They are not only good for the environment but also made our showering experience easier. The shower room is clean and spacious. I’m a clean freak and I couldn’t find any dirty marks or any hair leftover or even any sign of ageing. The shower head worked perfectly well for the 3 nights and the hot water was prompt – no delay or shortage.

SERVICE – Staff were very warm and friendly (agree with all the other reviewers). And they do let you check in early as long as your room is ready when you arrive. If you forget to bring umbrella, toothbrush, toothpaste etc, you can also ask for them at the reception. We forgot our toothpaste this time and they provided us with some which was nice. You can also sign up for the daily newspaper to be delivered to your room at the reception. The reception can also look after your luggage for you after you check out. We left our luggage there on our last day so we could continue our sight seeing and picked them up just before we got on the Skybus. The broadband internet was also quite reliable as expected – can’t remember any disruption of service during our use.

FOOD – We only tried their breakfast so I can only comment on that. The full breakfast buffet in our package allows us to order most of the breakfast meals on the menu for free. The continental buffet has everything you can expect from a basic breakfast ie cereal, toast, fruit, variety of juice and coffee. Food is a matter of personal taste but we enjoyed the vegetarian breakfast and omelette.

I really enjoyed my stay at Alto Hotel and really didn’t want to leave. It also makes me feel good when I know that I was doing something good for the environment by staying in an eco-friendly hotel. If you are not after a grand hotel lobby or a flashy brand name, I really would recommend Alto!

• Liked — Cleanliness, location, price, service
  • Disliked — nothing
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
5 Thank waterlover616
vancouver
Reviewed January 18, 2008

I really thoroughly enjoyed the Alto. I stayed for seven days. I'm a 27 year old single female traveller. I found the staff excellent, the room was great, modern, nothing too splash but had all I needed - nice desk, flat screen tv, etc.

Best part was the included breakfast, it's really lovely. Any kind of coffee, fresh fruit buffet with yogurt etc., and a cooked meal.

Oh, and you can't beat the location of this hotel. From the airport you can take the train directly to its doorstep, then it's so close to everything downtown.

• Liked — breakfast
  • Disliked — leaving
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled solo