“Good for business” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersGold level
Canberra, Australia
“Good for business”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2013

I stayed on two separate occasions in May 2013 in the budget rooms on the first floor of the Alto. The staff were up front about the "compactness" of the rooms, but with the possible exception of the cramped little bathroom, I thought it was pretty reasonable. I could hear the trams rumble by at night, but I didn't mind that either. The rooms were clean, and the beds were soft. Good linen. Inoffensive modern decor. Everything worked. Free WiFi. The TV appeared to have come off the wall mount in my room, but this did not interfere with my viewing.

The staff were extremely obliging, and happy to share local knowledge. There is a fitness centre close by, to which hotel guests can get access, but given that I am not a gym junkie, instead I made my way down to the Yarra for one of my all time favourite Australian morning riverside runs. The hotel is pretty conveniently placed only a few blocks away if this is your thing.

The Alto makes quite a lot of its green credentials, noting that its electricity is entirely generated by windpower. This might be a problem for you if you believe that windmills cause cancer. I don't, and I think it's a fine thing the Alto is doing.

The hotel is down the unfashionable end of Bourke Street, which means you have a 10-15 minute walk to the fun bits, like China Town. I don't have a problem with that - helps me to digest my dumplings on my way back home at night, but if you're particularly lazy or physically challenged, this might be an issue.

All round, the Alto is great for the business traveller looking for a reasonably priced flop'n'drop in town. It's got all the amenities, whilst being slightly more quirky and personable than some of the bigger franchises going around. Recommended.

Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
3 Thank Andy M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (291)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in a 3 bedroom unit. Each if us had our own bathroom and we shared a kitchen/lounge area. Everything was clean, and in excellent condition. Staff were very friendly and helpful. The only thing I would rate them down on is the breakfast restaurant. It is too small and the service was slow. However I can easily live with this when everything else was perfect. Will definitely stay there again.

• Stayed May 2013
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 20, 2013

I had this hotel booked through my work as I was attending a conference at the Melbourne Convention Centre. The room is a comfortable size, modern amenities, a comfy king size bed and a tram stop is just outside the hotel. Most things (Southern Cross Station, MCEC, supermarket, restaurants) are within walking distance though.

I had 4 nights in a king studio with a "lovely" view of a very close brick wall, I probably would have preferred more natural light as I was working from my room at times during the day. You can hear the faint rumblings of the tram going past and the loud woman talking in the room adjacent, however it isn't enough to be irritating.

The free coffee/hot choc is lovely, the staff are friendly, and I would definately consider staying here again, be it for business or with my partner.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank ilovegelato82
Dunsborough, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2013

I discovered the Alto on Trip Advisor. Something in the style and the reviews really attracted me.

I was not let down. The Alto reminds me a little of a place we had stayed at in Barcelona about 12 months earlier. Friendly, casual, an easy home away from home. And I particularly like their environmental standards.

The staff were first class. As an example - we were taking a day trip by hire car down to the Mornington Peninsula. I was unsure just how to get out of the city and onto the tollway. I asked for directions at the desk, and the fellow (whose name escapes me, because I would like to have personally thanked him) loaded a journey on Google maps and then printed it out for me, so that we had specific instructions/directions. Well beyond what I expected (I expected a verbal instruction something like "drive down X road and turn into Y road", etc.)

Location is very handy. Just up the road from Southern Cross Station, it is also an easy walk into the main part of the city and surrounds.

Highly recommended, and now top of my list as my preferred place to stay when in Melbourne.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Peter C
Johor Bahru, Malaysia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2013

This cute hideaway in the centre of Melbourne City is a truly amazing place to stay for business, pleasure or both. Counter staff were especially courteous and went out of their way to ensure that our stay is both pleasant and enjoyable. My family and I (3 grown up girls) came to Melbourne for the MBA Graduation (both of my younger girls) at Victoria University. We arrived earlier than the 2PM check in; we were given free coffee and access to the relaxation room with massage chairs! In fact, our apartment was ready much earlier than the 2PM. Room was really clean and shower was amazing! Will definitely choose Alto the next time around!

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Stay 1 night in May 2013. Decent sized, clean and modern looking room with free wi-fi. Courteous, polite and helpful front desk staff. Booked through hotels.com with yummy hot breakfast provided. Conveniently located, within walking distance to Southern Cross Station. However, need to walk a little to the nearest free City City Tram stop.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Tauranga
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2013

Just returned from four nights at the Alto. Excellent location, easy walking distance to everything in the main centre plus Docklands and South Bank. Very comfortable accommodation, we had a two bedroom / two bath with kitchenette (which didn't get used!). Beds were very comfortable, linen crisp and the room was very clean. Very quiet property as well given its central location.

Really appreciated the free Wi-Fi and unfortunately, we didn't get to use the relaxation room but it looked comfortable. Staff very friendly and helpful. Would definitely recommend and stay again.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with friends