“Clean and service with a smile”

Alto Hotel on Bourke
Ranked #10 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
Singapore, Singapore
“Clean and service with a smile”
Reviewed November 23, 2012

We stayed at King Studio plus with 3 single beds. The room size was just right and the kitchenette came in handy. Hotel staff were all very professional, helpful and always greet with smile. The free wi-fi was very useful and the free coffee 24hrs a day made our day. Only disadvantage is there is no view to the room and the walk to Bourke st shopping is a challenging 15-20 min for my 65 yr-old mom. However, we are still very pleased with the quality service provided by the hotel!

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (321)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
Paignton, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2012

On our recent Australian trek my wife and I stayed in Melbourne at The Alto. The hotel was a mere stride or two away from the Train and Bus station making it incredibly convenient.

Having been on the move round Australia when we flew into Melbourne we were both shattered but determined to see as much of the city as possible before we rapidly moved on to Port Fairy. The Alto's position was absolutely grand for doing this with city centre and the docklands all within easy walks.

On our return to the hotel in the evening tiredness overcame us and we opted for the easy choice of eating in the hotel but not expecting the food to be of the standard it was. When this was coupled with the really friendly style of our waitress and the chef then the evening was fully complete for 2 tired but fully satisfied travellers.

Our apartment (we were upgraded!!) was extremely well furnished with everything you could possibly want + immaculately clean. The only slight downside being the outlook which looked out onto other nearby apartments but this is me simply being nit picky.

A great (comfortable !!!) night's sleep and good breakfast and we were ready to rumble onto the Great Ocean Road.

All in all the hotel was everything we could have hoped for and we wouldn't hesitate to use it again if we ever get back to Melbourne. Get booked in and you won't be disappointed ( great base for a few days in Melbourne !!!).

Room Tip: Ask about upgrades.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Mick L
Perth, Australia
Reviewed November 20, 2012

I chose this hotel mainly because it's in a fantastic location, conveniently close to Southern Cross Railway Station (and the SkyBus - airport shuttle) AND because the wi-fi was complimentary. Why do other hotels charge extra for wi-fi? I condsider it a traveller's essential. Once I was there, I also realised the trams go right past the front door. I stayed 3 nights in a Studio apartment. The bed would have to be the best I have ever slept in, and the room was very quiet - couldn't hear any street noise. I was impressed with the waste recycling offer and bulk soap/shampoo dispensers in bathroom.The staff were all very friendly and helpful. Breakfast menu had good variety and prompt service. No negative aspects at all. I will definitely stay there again - thanks Alto -well done!

Room Tip: I was on the first floor, and away from the elevator, so maybe that's why my room was so quiet
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank OzMuzza
KL
Reviewed November 20, 2012

The Hotel is close to the Southern Cross Station and ideal if you are coming into the city by Bus or Train. The only setback is that the noise from the trams which really intrudes into the room and the fact that it is at the wrong end of Bourke Street. Overall the rooms were clean and the free WIFI was a bonus.

Room Tip: ask for higher rooms away from Bourke Street.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Maroochydore, Australia
Reviewed November 18, 2012

We have stayed here a few times on trips to Melbourne. Great Location, Good breakfast and pleasant staff. Rooms are nicely fitted out - but noise is a real concern as are teh skylights

On our first trip last year we had a room opposite the elevator - we were kept up all night with the comings and goings on our floor, loud voices and long conversations while people wait for the elevator. (not to mention the tram and party goers in the alley way at night) On this trip we asked for a quite room away from the road and elevator and were given a 2 bedroom family room on the forth floor.

Our first concern was the 2nd bedroom had a skylight - great until you want to sleep and even thou the room as a switch to close the skylight, even when closed you can read a book under it! We overlooked it as our kids could sleep with it.

On our last night we returned to our room at 4pm on a Sunday afternoon to a one hell of a racket on our floor - the room next to us was having a party of 60yo golf players who had obviously been on the turps all day and we celebrating the last day of there golf weekend. It was so loud than in our bedroom they may as well have been on our laps. I think we were the only other guests on the floor. We left the hotel about an hour later as we couldn't take it any more and had a quick word to reception on our way out. On our return at 7pm it had become a real drunken shouting match with running in the hallways. After another 90mins we complained to reception again, who rather than investigate decided to ring the room and ask them to be quite. The foul language coming from the room and constant banging of furniture was horrific and after another hour trying to get to sleep we rang reception and they finally came up - some 5 hours after we alerted them - to break it up. So once most of the drunks left , only the 3 or 4 old guys in the room remained, who then played hand ball on our bedroom wall for another hour or so. Not what I would expect in a $400 a night room.

Room Tip: If you must stay here avoid rooms near elevator or facing the road.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Zane G
Adelaide, South Australia
Reviewed November 15, 2012

Overall I wasn't sure what to expect at the Alto on Bourke, however I can say with confidence that I will choose it again when staying in Melbourne. The room while not huge was clean and comfortable and the bed was excellent. The only minor complaint (almost not worth mentioning) is that the TV could have been wall mounted so it was a little higher.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Crui5erFJ
Vancouver, Canada
Reviewed November 13, 2012

By the time I got to Melbourne, I was getting tired of travelling, but staying for three nights at this charming hotel revitalized me. The service, my room, and amenities were great! Free wi-fi in my room, all-day espresso/cappuccino/etc. machine in lobby, massage chairs in relaxation room ... all complimentary. Good directions and restaurant suggestions from friendly, helpful staff. Short walk to railway station, shops and City Circle tram. Only drawback was a noisy garbage truck outside my window at about 5:30 a.m. Used earplugs the next two nights! Also, I'd have died for a bathtub at that point in my travels!

Room Tip: Avoid garbage lane, if possible.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo