“Comfortable and friendly”

Alto Hotel on Bourke
Ranked #10 of 162 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We spent 4 nights at Alto from 12th September. We had asked our travel agent to change our booking to this hotel based on the tripadvisor reviews. We were not disappointed. Upon our arrival we were greeted at reception by Gary and Andrew. We had booked and paid for Alto 6 months previously which included breakfast.
However when we made enquiries about the day trips a week before we arrived in Melbourne, we discovered all of them left early in the morning with no time to have breakfast in the Restaurant. When we explained this to Gary and Andrew they immediatly organised to have a continental breakfast delivered to our room the evening before we left for the trips.Andrew took us to meet the Restaurant staff and they sorted everything for us. The breakfasts were fantastic.
As we were not in our rooms for very long during each day the smaller size was not too much of a concern. We had the Queen studio. However I personally did find the shower a bit small and a bit of a squeeze to get into. But then I am larger than normal.The water was lovely and hot and I liked the soap dispensers. We were advised that a new bed had just been installed the morning of our arrival. We found the mattress was a bit soft. However this is just personal taste. The room itself was beautiful and clean with the free wifi a bonus. The kitchenette was great and the cookies, traditional and herb teas were lovely. I like the green focus of the hotel. Another thing we noticed was the quietness of the refrigerator. We have been in accomodation where it has driven us to distraction. Also the airconditioner for heating was barely noticable. In regard to quietness the room was so peaceful. Even though there was a laneway outside we couldn't hear anything. The double glazing works a treat. The hotel is in a good location with the trams just metres away. Once we got used to which trams go where, getting around from Alto was no problem at all. There are resturants and a convenience store just a short walk away. All in all we had a comfortable and enjoyable stay at Alto.

3  Thank PETWAL

Reviewed September 21, 2012

Nice hotel. Rooms had nice pics of Melbourne scenes. Decent size room, but was impressed with the environmental approach - 100% wind power, recycle bin, no unneccessary single use toiletries, etc. The umbrella in the cupboard came in very handy with Melbournes unpredictable weather. Free wifi in the room. Packets of herbal tea were also provided in the room, which was nice. Parking is offsite around the corner - they give clear instructions but its a little more complex than just driving up. Good value. Recommended.

Reviewed September 18, 2012

We have just returned from four nights in Melbourne and was impressed with the Alto Hotel. The room was on the small side but the beds were super comfy and the room had all the extras you could ask for. I particularly liked their clean green reputation was followed through to the shampoo, handwash etc in pump containers on the wall rather than wasting all those little containers. We had breakfast in the dining room on two mornings and the service was friendly and the options were plentiful and I thought reasonably priced. The bircher muesli was the best! It was a nice touch to have the daily papers available and tea, coffee, hot chocolate on tap for a warming evening drink. Very convenient location particularly if you are using the trains to travel a little further out of city central.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank aecasey
Reviewed September 13, 2012

I stayed at this hotel for 5 nights. I only had breakfast there once, it was about 20 AUD and pretty decent – I went for the typical English breakfast.

The hotel room was fairly small and the bathroom as well, but it was enough for me as I was only there to sleep. As I visited in the middle of Melbourne's winter, it took between 30 sec to 1 min to get warm water – this really upsets me because I hate wasting water for no reason. And mind that I was on the 1st floor, so I was theoretically closer to the machine rooms that maybe the other rooms from the upper floors.

The internet wasn’t incredibly fast, but it worked just fine. The hotel is really in the city centre, so you'll do just fine. Right in front of it you have the train station, and in 3 min you can walk to the hotel.

The problem with my room (102) is that its window was a rectangle of 1.00 m x 0.20 m. Well, I've seen smaller animals in bigger cages at the zoo. To top that, the window was some 2.00 m away from the next building, so daylight and possibilities to aerate were next to nil.

The personnel of the hotel was nice and the room cleaning as well. You'll have all the amenities that you will expect to find in a decent 3 stars’ hotel, but as far as labelling it a 4 stars’ hotel based on the room that I got, not in this lifetime.

Because of the window thingy and the cold water waste, I'll give it 3 stars instead of 4. I'd still stay here again, as long as I could get a real room and not some kind of prison-like space.

Room Tip: Don't take room 102!
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
2  Thank Nuno_the_Curious
Reviewed September 13, 2012 via mobile

I enjoyed a brief stay at this small well located hotel in city centre . Loved the quirky decor in the foyer . Food in the restaurant was good and very reasonably priced. Ideal for business trip. Room was small and bathroom was a bit cramped but overall good value and I would stay again.

• Stayed: September 2012
1  Thank kismetkate
Reviewed September 11, 2012

Was there from 8-11 Sep 12. It is in a great central location on Bourke St. Trams and alot of shops are nearby. The reception and staff are all very warm and friendly. I love that its an eco friendly hotel that uses wind power and biodegradable toiletries.

We was very impressed with their lounge area which houses a cosy fireplace with a coffee and tea making machine. We walked to shopping areas, aquarium, DFO at south wharf and Harbourtown easily. We also used trams to the zoo and QVM.

The only gripe was the pillows and mattress are way too soft to get a good sleep, probably common across hotels i been to except some. The queen studio room was awesome, it even comes with stove, iPod docking station, dishwashing liquid and dish clothes. I am truly impressed. Its outstanding value that supercedes Crown Metropol where i stayed for 4 nights.

Reviewed September 10, 2012

Alto hotel isn't a stunning experiece, is a good, well managed, clean, small design hotel. It's wonderfully located as it is 100m far from the airport bus station. The bus is runing 24 h a day with incredible frequence. There is not much to do after sunset, but is so close to everything that you can go walking to any central destination. The hotel is ery clean, staf is friendly and has a typical aspect of what can be call design interior. Rooms aren't huge but spacious enough and the bath too. The rooms are provided with any comfort. The small bar/restaurant close not late.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo