“Can't wait to come back!”
Review of Nomads Melbourne

Nomads Melbourne
Ranked #13 of 22 Melbourne B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 23, 2014

I arrived into Melbourne very late in the evening and the lovely guy on reception was very helpful in checking me into my room. The location of the hostel is super convenient and the room itself was very clean, modern and very spacious. There is an awesome bar in the hostel and they have a funky outdoor area where you can chill out and have a casual drink with friends. The staff were all extremely helpful and friendly and had lots of suggestions on our to spend a spare day in Melbourne. The hostel also offered free luggage storage for me on the day I checked out which was super helpful. Overall I would be more than happy to recommend Nomads Melbourne to anyone travelling down to Melbourne.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
There are newer reviews for Nomads Melbourne

Reviewed April 23, 2014 via mobile

I stayed here twice, both in 6 bed dorms. Clean dorms and good location. The showers were clean with plenty of space to get dressed and hang ur stuff. Only down side is the size of the kitchen in comparison to the size of the hostel. Its not a major as plenty of scrummy food in Melbourne.

Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Reviewed April 22, 2014

I loved this hostel! The location is great - so close to the Queen Victoria Markets, you can just walk around the corner every morning to have breakfast! Upon check-in we were welcomed by a friendly and helpful staff member called Mitchell who checked us straight into a clean and modern room. My parents came to visit me at the hostel & arrived earlier than expected; and the manager even escorted them to our room, after checking their ID to ensure everything was correct. This to me is AMAZING service!! The hostel is clean and modern with a lively bar on the ground floor. When we checked out with Helen - we were asked if we needed directions, luggage storage and was so lovely! The staff were always friendly & helpful.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple
Reviewed April 15, 2014

NOMADS MELBOURNE

I spent three nights in this hostel in April, from this experience I will avoid staying here in the future. Whilst the hostel is clean and modern with a lively bar on the ground floor, the staff, kitchen and lack of warm water really let's it down.

It took over 30 minuets to check in as the staff made an error with payment (over charging me), she then proceeded to behave as if it were my fault with a very bad attitude barking comments at me across the desk. The duty manger then took over the situation and reassured me that the money would be refunded, in a very rushed and dismissive manner. Unfortunately this was the general way in which staff treat guests, there is very little customer service visible in this hostel. 2, days later...no refund (I asked the manager again, once again I was reassured that it would be done tomorrow. 5 days later (after checking out) the money still had not been refunded (I checked my account). Therefore I returned to the hostel and the manger told me he had done it and it would take a few days to show up, so I requested a receipt. He attempted to get me to leave without the receipt by saying 'trust me'. I choose to stand my ground and insist on having the receipt, after 20 minuets of faffing around in the office he returned with no receipt and told me he would look on the computer. With poor acting skills he informed me he had not done issued the refund because he did not have my card detail (originally he had told me he had everything he needed). He then tried to take my card number and expiry details, so he could 'do the refund later'. I insisted he did it I front of me so I was able to take the receipt away. FINALLY things seemed to be getting better! But then tried to refund too little($A50 rather then $80). I pointed his error out and he explained it was due to his staff not checking me out on the appropriate day. He did not apologise or seek to reimburse me in anyway with a goodwill offer. The whole situation highlighted how poorly staffed the hostel is from high level to floor staff.

The kitchen is very small with 2 hobs for over 100 guests and one sink, microwave and toaster. On the plus side you get free rice, pasta and tea. The wifi is $12 per week or $4 per day, the connection often drops out.

We also attempted to have a happy hour drink, staff did not know 1. It was happy hour 2. How to make the drink on offer. So he left us waiting for 10 minuets to ask a manager , he returned with no apology. Also the hostel holds themed nights to encourage travellers to meet one another. This doesn't really work as the backpacking staff take up the spaces in tournaments or save spaces for their 'friends'. Oh and free pancake day, means ONE pancake which you can only collect after the staff have had their pancakes.

Room Tip: Stay else where.
  • Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
Nomads11, General Manager at Nomads Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2014

Hi Emma, thank you for taking the time to review our hostel. This is surely not the experience we try to cater to our guests and I apologize for having let you down.
There is no explanation that could excuse the situation you were in and I apologise, as the GM of the hostel it is particular upsetting to hear staff being the main source of your problem. I have already addressed the staffing issue from previous feedback. Please also note that we have a relatively new team of upper management at the property…they are working their rocks off to ensure things run smoothly however errors do occur, it’s our aim to make sure that when they do we address them quickly and effectively…sorry this was not your experience.

Reviewed April 2, 2014

It was like a really bad freshers week with badly themed nights every night and also an extremely annoying tannoy system. I found the staff to be rude and unhelpful and only interested in fellow members of staff as they are all obviously mates. Woken up every morning my a number of 'cleaners' one who hoovered every morning so no chance of a lie in. Tiny dirty kitchen. Definitely better hostels out there!

• Stayed: March 2014

Thank you for reviewing our hostel. Obviously you didn’t enjoy your stay as much, which I’m very sorry to hear about. I’m particularly upset to hear about our staff, something we have addressed and will monitor extremely closely. We are using our tannoy system to help guests avoid a late check out fee at around 10 am, housekeepers may enter the rooms after 10am for the daily clean, to keep them clean and tidy for current and newly arriving guests…we do understand that people enjoy a sleep in however in a dormitory style room this is not always possible. Our kitchen is cleaned daily and we have installed 3 shifts but it’s hard to keep it tidy during peak hours.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Firstly, I would like to say I have never given a hostel a bad review before. I'm not a snob, I've travelled around Australia and New Zealand and am pretty accepting of most things.
I arrived in Nomads to go into a 10 bed dorm. When I got there the room had a disgusting smell of vomit. There were stains all over the carpet and around the bed where I was expected to place my luggage, and then I was told by one of the boys in the room that someone had been sick everywhere last night and it hasn't been properly cleaned up. I also didn't have a duvet for my bed because the guy had been sick on it the night before. There was also a pile of clothes which the guy had been sick on, sitting by the plug sockets which obviously people wanted to use. Yuck. I also looked at the ensuite and quickly decided I wouldn't be using it as it looked like it hadn't been cleaned in days.
I went downstairs to ask about getting a duvet and told them about the smell of the room (I wasn't rude, I just told them the situation). Then when I returned to the hostel a few hours later, there was still no duvet and the room was in the same state.
I went downstairs again and this time a guy from reception came upstairs with me, had a look around and said there were meant to be 3 spare beds but only 1 had been made, so he sent up housekeeping and to be fair she arrived straight away and made a bed on the opposite side of the room (thank god!) and put a duvet where one was missing. Still no mention of the room actually being cleaned.
The kitchen is tiny, but as I was only staying one night I didn't use it so can't actually comment on the quality of it.
On the upside, there are plenty shared showers and toilets along the corridors if, like me, your ensuite is horrible!
Sorry to be so negative, but I was shocked at the lack of care and attention the room received especially as it was in such an unhygienic state!

• Stayed: March 2014
Nomads11, General Manager at Nomads Melbourne, responded to this reviewResponded March 25, 2014

Thanks for your feedback, this was an unfortunate incident that effected multiple people in the room, we do sincerely apologize for the state you found the room. Multiple beds were affected and our cleaners seem to have done a sub standard job… I have already taken measures to change over underperforming staff to ensure this picks up immediately. I have to say that throwing up is not something that happens often (touch wood) so perhaps why we were not on top of it.

Reviewed March 10, 2014

The only advantage is the location, in the center of the city. The free #35 “historical” circular tram stops by side. The Southern Gate rail station is 7 min to walk. You can return at night from Swanston str. by foot. Everything is near.
BUT! The floors are dirty everywhere. Especially in the rooms. The litter bins stay overfilled for 2 days. The young girls-and-boys at the reception are too lazy to answer the most common questions and never can help. The check-out in this hostel is 10.00, the penalty is dreadful! Why??
A place for a short stay to see Melbourne.

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Alika999

Thanks for your feedback, yes our location is amazing however we also understand the importance of having a clean, fun, customer serviced environment. We have cleaners on 4 times a day and work hard to keep the property presented well, we are currently reworking our cleaning schedule and I’ve taken on one extra person. Our staff are usually eager to help out every guest, though it might get a little busy at times. We are always trying to improve our services, definitely will use this as input! Check out is at 10am at every hostel, we do this to ensure we have time to turn around the beds for the next guests who are eager to check in and start their Melbourne experience.