“Not worth the price”

Ranked #12 of 21 Melbourne B&B and Inns
Austin, Texas
“Not worth the price”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2008

My husband and I stayed in both a double and a king room (both ensuite) for 6 nights in July 2008. From all the advertising this hostel does about being a “flashpacker” hostel, my expectations were quite high. I paid $115 for a king “suite”, which was described as being “like a hotel suite with a private bathroom and a television”. Given the price I paid and this type of advertising, I expected more than the average hostel room, and I am basing my review on this expectation.

The “king bed” was 2 double mattresses put together. I actually preferred the double bed we had for the second half of our stay because there wasn’t an uncomfortable gap in the bed to deal with. I was pleasantly surprised to have a TV in our king room, since this amenity isn’t typical of hostel rooms. But our TV didn’t work, and we made several requests for the hostel staff to try and fix it, but that never happened. Again, I understand that hostels don’t typically offer TVs in the bedrooms, but I think that if I am paying for this amenity, it should at least work!

The room was quite clean and the front desk staff were mostly friendly and helpful. There seemed to be quite a few public bathrooms, showers, and laundry facilities to choose from, and the bar/common room had a great atmosphere with plenty of seating and entertainment options. The location was quite good, although the noise from the bar often spilled out into the street and I was woken up by this noise on many occasions.

The kitchen appeared to be extremely small, but I didn’t end up using it, so I can’t say much more than that. We had the free meal twice during our stay, which seemed to be quite a mixed bag. We chose to upgrade to a larger portion when penne with tomato sauce, sausage, and cheese was served, and the $7 charge was quite reasonable considering how a pint of beer was included, which normally cost $8 alone.

There seemed to be a lot of fun themed activities going on in the bar in the evenings, which would definitely be a huge plus for people traveling alone and wanting to meet people. Although the convenience of having a bar in the lobby area was great, the non-happy hour prices were ridiculous compared to what we paid elsewhere around town.

The elevator was the scariest that I have ever encountered!! It was extremely loud (I could hear it opening and closing all night from my room at the other end of the floor), jerky, and temperamental. Watch your fingers because the door closes very quickly and does not have a working sensor to keep it open if something is in the way! I would have definitely taken the stairs had I not been staying on the top floor.

For a hostel, the rooms and facilities were quite good, but I would never compare them to a hotel. Private room rates were very high and, in my opinion, not good value for the money. Maybe dorm rooms/rates were more reasonable? I think the term “flashpacker” more accurately described the hostel 5 years ago when furniture, carpets, TVs, and the elevator were newer..

• Stayed July 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (31)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 15, 2008

Found the hostel a bit disappointing... having heard so much about the 'flashpacker' style, i have to say i don't think this place really lives up to the reputation.

the dorms were probably once great, but had gotten a little rough around the edges (things breaking and not being repaired etc), and much was made of the 'free evening meal' - we're talking about an institutionalised free-for-all which is never going to substitute a proper meal unless you 'upgrade' (you got it, hand over your dollars...). the bar was unbelievably expensive by any standards, let alone hostel standards, and there are no other bars nearby. the atmosphere in the bar is probably quite good if you get the right crowd, but to be honest there were just loads of chavs there when we went down to have a look!

also, it had probably the worst kitchen i had seen in 4 months of traveling - you would not have prepared food for a dog in there!

the location is not bad - fairly quiet area near the big market (can't remember its name), and about a 10 minute walk to the tramline into town, although you could probably have walked all the way in if you were feeling energetic and had 45 mins to spare. convenience stores, takeaway food places (subway etc) and some nice boutique shops in walking distance.

the bathrooms were modern and clean, and there's internet onsite.

not sure i'd stay there again, but it's not necessarily a bad option if you're looking for somewhere cheap with a relatively sociable atmosphere.

• Liked — Modern and clean bathrooms
  • Disliked — Filthy kitchen, and a bit of a rip-off attitude
  • Stayed January 2008, traveled with friends
1 Thank LosingMyself
Auckland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 22, 2008

Nomads has set a new bar for backpackers in my mind. Stayed in both a dorm and a King suite.

The dorm
We booked a 9 bed family dorm with ensuite and the room was huge. Best set up i've ever seen for a dorm

King suite
This was the big private room with ensuite and oh man, was it totally worth every cent. The room was nice and cool and spacious. The king sized bed sealed it for me.

Overall, this backpackers has a real neat feel to it. The bar connected downstairs had good priced drinks and it was easy enough to meet people.
It is super close to the Queen Vic markets and easily within walking distance to Melbourne central.

The only thing to really note is that the kitchen is quite wee, not unbareably so though.

I'd definatly stay here again.

• Liked — How clean it was
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled with friends
3 Thank Mellygator
Dunfermline, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 6, 2007

We stayed in a private room for 6 nights at Nomads and had a great experience of the place. The rooms are basic don't get me wrong, however the bed linen/towels were clean, the room facilities (telly, storage and bathroom) were adequate and just what we needed. To be honest we were out most days anyway, so merely used the room to sleep and wash.

The location is very good too. Only a 10 minute walk from the central bus station that is used for Airport drop offs, and only one street away from the free city circle tram stop.

The staff we encountered were all very helpful, confirming tours for us and giving us information on what tours/sights to see. We also found the adjoining Internet Cafe was good value.

I've read the constructive criticism levelled at the "free" meal, however what do people expect these days. We ate in one night and "upgraded" at a cost of $7 dollars (approx £3 GBP) each to the bigger portion. This was also accompanied by an alcoholic drink of your choice, a deal we both thought represented good value for money.

Overall the value for money we got from this hostel was good (we paid £42 GBP per night) and I would recommend this to anyone who is looking to use it as a base for sightseeing/city exploration and doesn't want to pay over the odds for a hotel room they won't fully use.

• Liked — Location, Value for Money from Private Facilities
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
3 Thank Dunfysink
Melbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 27, 2007

I've been somewhat of a long-termer with my stay in Melbourne, and have been at Nomads for four months. During this time, I've come across some terrible situations where management have clearly shown that they are purely money-driven and uncaring towards their staff and customers.

Around a couple of months ago, an international intern who was working there part-time was asked to work a 72-hour shift one week because the management knew that they didn't have to pay her a cent due to the arrangement they had with the intern. They intentionally took advantage of her financial and legal situation.

The food is ridiculously overpriced, right down to their several-day old croissants, and their drinks are the standard price you'd find in
most pubs and clubs. Their 'free-meal' is a ridiculously small sample
of whatever is on the menu that night - which is quite often brought pizza because they will only hire cooks who are also travelers, and pay them the minimum wage.

After you pay for a room, the management reserve the right to move you to another dorm at any time, regardless of your travel plans you might have on.

Their dryers cost $2 for a 45min cycle which fails to even dry a few articles of loose clothing (ie three pairs of socks and some underwear).

Finally, if you book and pay in advance and decide to check out earlier, you will not get a refund. Staff will not tell you this (until you're about to check out), nor do they have any signs, or a sheet with terms or conditions that outline this at the time when you
make the payment. I've lost $90 alone in this, and sadly because there isn't any Australian law enforcing consumer rights in this industry, they have taken full advantage of people's naivety.

I would not recommend this place to anyone staying anymore then a couple of days. Their management simply don't give a [----].

• Liked — Nice bar, clean and tidy rooms
  • Disliked — No-refund policy and their lack of consideration towards staff and customers
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled solo
4 Thank SacredNic

Travelers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

wellington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 3, 2007

My room was a private twin share room with ensuite.

I booked a three night stay directly with Nomads Industry. Reception/Booking staff were very helpful to deal with and responded back to my questions very promptly.

Some points/suggestions
1. Nomads have a great policy of not allowing drunk noisy people into the hostel. Those people must stay outside until they are quiet. This is great as it keeps the hostel a relatively quiet place to sleep EXCEPT if your room overlooks A'Beckett Street as this is where the noisy people sit!! I spoke to people who had rooms by the little alleyway and they enjoyed their location so maybe ask for a room there!

2. Free Dinner is small eg 1 piece of pizza. But as long as you don't expect a large meal this is fine for a light snack. Was enough for my dinner but i did hear a few men commenting that it wasn't quite enough.

3. Cheap pitchers of drinks!! Cocktails were very cheap.

4. Bad point (sorry!) We were reallocated our room on arrival as the originally requested type (twin room) had been made into a double.
Not a problem there as it was easily fixed. Unfortunately because of this change the staff didn't realise it had been allocated. On new years eve (ie when we were getting changed to go out) staff simply walked into our room. As our room was originally not allocated to us i can understand the confusion but still would have expected someone to knock as it must be quite a common occurrence.

5. Suggestion: a bathmat would be helpful for the shower (in the twin rooms at least) as the bathroom really did get quite wet.

6. Room had a fan but not airconditioning. Some websites say it has airconditioning - perhaps some rooms do, but don't assume that. Go to Nomads website for actual details of room quality.

7. Bathrooms in the room were very clean and compact. Had a little shelf for leaving stuff on. There were also bathrooms along the corridor.

8. Laundry is available for quite a reasonable price.

HOWEVER, I have to say that this hostel is a very good hostel and would certainly stay here again. The staff were absolutely lovely, we never once had a rude or indifferent staff member. They were helpful and could make suggestions on how we could spend our day.

Location wise i found it excellent. It was about a 3 minute walk from the Victoria Markets and only about a minute from the free tram. The free tram does a great circle of central melbourne which is a nice way of getting your bearings!

Probably about a 10 minute walk from flinders street station/federation square. I found this quite a pleasant walk.

Near to Melbourne Central train station which is also a mall/movie theatre.

Not really sure how close it was to clubs & bars (as we were limited on where we went out) but due to its location I would imagine it would be easy enough to get a cab if you didn't want to walk.

I would definitely recommend staying here if wanting a good clean modern place to stay with helpful staff. I had a couple of problems (as noted) but nothing that would stop me staying there again.

Stayed December 2006