Melbourne Short Stay Apartments Southbank Collection
Ranked #16 of 148 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Reviewed September 25, 2013

Well,at least the view wasn't bad, that is, until the multilevel apartment block is completed on the adjoining block. And there ends the compliments. Over-the-top 'instructions' at check-in: OK, we DO need to know how to access the lift but the manner in which the OTT receptionist explained it was at the point of confusing, and amusing in different measures...One of our party had to exit the tirade before said-receptionist pushed too far and the scene turned nasty. And thank heavens we had a command of the English language because it was confusing enough WITH English. Onto the room, which was grubby: paintwork, carpet, soft furnishings, all grubby (that white stain on the black curtains??). The refrigerator sounded like a truck reversing all night and the in- bathroom laundry leaked dangerously over the bathroom tiles (yes, the hoses were intact). Then the 'rule' cards in the apartment to remind us that we were in a prison (no, perhaps a remand centre). I realise this apartment block caters for residents and holiday makers but in all of our travels I have never had so many 'reminders' shoved in my face). The air-conditioner was difficult to work and difficult to maintain even temperature and weirdly the instructions (oh goody!) stated that if the outside temperature rose above 36 degrees the unit would not function! Maybe visit Singapore to see how their systems work.. (and excuse me for pointing out that these deficits all add up to a cheap build)
.And so, if you can cope with the lack of care (ironically) given to maintenance and appearance well you might also need to reconsider the position of this establishment. Six lanes of traffic separate you from Southbank itself, meaning that there is a considerable time factor needed to walk anywhere (lots of lights to wait at): this place is definitely on the WRONG side of Southbank and so don't be fooled by the maps that make it seem otherwise. And let's not forget the DIY rubbish removal which was a delight on the ground floor (where a mask because the stench was awful).
Now if you decide to stay here after all, I can recommend the Room Service company (not associated with the apartment) that provides freshly prepared meals without the need to cross the traffic at night-time. And I wonder what the concierge actually does? He certainly won't call you a taxi because there's a phone for that...

Room Tip: Just don't bother
  • Stayed: September 2013, traveled with family
Melbourne04, Manager at Melbourne Short Stay Apartments Southbank Collection, responded to this reviewResponded October 1, 2013

Dear Latte62,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience at Melbourne Short Stay Apartments.  We are very disappointed to hear that your expectations were not met during your stay.

We honestly value all feedback we receive as it allows us to create and implement strategies and procedures to ensure each of our guests receive the outstanding level of service we strive to deliver along with a clean, comfortable and secure apartment.

To help us address the issues you have raised in your review, I'm wondering if you could provide me with some more information about your stay?  As I mentioned in my phone message and my email to you, you can reach me by phoning 1800 008 910 and ask to speak with me, alternatively send an email to me at marcusm@shortstay.com.au

We appreciate your comments regarding the volume of information relating to our Community Promise and no party policy.  As you so rightly noted, each of our locations house a mix of permanent residents and temporary guests, which is why we take so seriously our commitment to creating a peaceful and safe environment for everyone in the building to enjoy.  Unfortunately, it's a minority who have had a negative impact on the enjoyment of the apartments.  Since introducing our Community Promise six months ago, we have experienced a significant drop in the number of disruptions occurring to our guests and permanent residents due to unruly behaviour. Having said that, we have taken your feedback into consideration and are currently reviewing our communications strategy in relation to this.

Latte62, I sincerely apologise for the unacceptable level of housekeeping standards you experienced; this is certainly not the way we want to present our apartments to our guests.  I can assure you that this has been raised with our housekeeping department and should you choose to contact me directly with more information, I can ensure the issue is pursued further.

Again, thank you for providing your feedback and I do hope to hear from you soon.

Warm regards,

Reviewed September 10, 2013

8 friends from sydney went away on an end of year soccer trip . The rooms where clean 3 bedrooms two queens and two singles one main bathroom and one ensuit lounge and kitchen . The location suited us close to the casino and eateries only two blocks away .we walked to the MCG which took about 45 minutes and 20 minutes to the train station all in all a good place to stay

Stayed: September 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne04, Manager at Melbourne Short Stay Apartments Southbank Collection, responded to this reviewResponded September 10, 2013

Dear Murials,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of your recent experience with us. We are pleased to read that our three bedroom apartment suited the needs of you and your friends.

It is a delight to hear that you found our location to be really convenient to Crown Entertainment Complex and the restaurants and bars that are just a short stroll from our apartments. Southbank has an abundance of dining options available, or you can wander a little further along the river to South Wharf to experience some of Melbourne's newest eateries.

We hope to welcome you back to Melbourne Short Stay Apartments on your next trip here.

Reviewed August 31, 2013

I was really disappointed with my stay at the Southpoint Towers - and I find the responses from management in this page so disheartening. I had the same issues with my stay as mentioned before - namely repulsive and stained grotty carpet and furnishings, filthy dine in menus and inadequate responses to my queries. My room did not remotely look like the attractive photos management have posted on this site.

It took several phone calls to get house keeping to service my room, they replaced a faulty clock radio (at my request) with another clock radio and though you are staying in a building the Short stay management do not take any ownership over issues that arise. They are all pleasant enough just incredibly ineffective and do not do nearly enough to provide even average customer service , let alone 'high levels'. This is after they asked me to leave my room to allow for inspections from a prospective buyer - which I did.

Checking in and out nearly a kilometre away without some sort of courtesy vehicle to assist you is also bordering on ridiculous.

There are loads of other options. I'm sure you'll find something much better.

Travel safe.

Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
4  Thank QMochalatte
Melbourne04, Manager at Melbourne Short Stay Apartments Southbank Collection, responded to this reviewResponded September 5, 2013

Dear QMochalatte,

Thank you for taking the time to provide your feedback following your recent stay with us at Southbank Central. We truly value guest feedback because it helps us to make improvements to our guest experience.

We are very sorry to hear that you were so disappointed with your stay with us, and as mentioned in my phone message to you, I look forward to the opportunity to speak with you further about your experience.

I hope to hear from you soon.

Reviewed August 24, 2013

We recently stayed in a 1 BR apartment on the 24 floor however there's no view at all, only view you get is what people are doing in the opposite apartment blocks.

Hotel does not have conceirge directly at the lobby of your apartment, we need to walk to the office (about 5-10 mins walk depending on which apartment you are assigned to stay in that area) which only operates during office hours to process all check-in/out, etc.

Arrangement of the room is odd. Room is a bit dated and cramp, some of the utensils are dirty, shower glass is loose and shaky which may be dangerous if it fell off, bathroom is always flooded after a shower. It is the first time I've seen floor towel being placed together with other bathing, hands, face towels.. seriously? Next, Bedroom area has poor ventilation as there is only 1 air-con unit in the living room. Pillow is totally flat and bed is also uncomfortable for sleeping. Wardrobe is dusty which we didn't bother hanging our clothings in it. Only 1 tv is avaliable in the living room and you can't watch it from the room. No daily housekeeping is provided unlike other serviced apartments I've stayed in.

Location wise, nothing else is nearby except for the casino which is a 15mins walk away. It is far to walk to the main city centre area like Flinders, Collins, Bourke, etc. which took us about 30mins to walk from our apartment.

Staff service was disappointing as well, did not offer much help and guide for tourist like us who are unfamiliar with the area. We even have to make our own arrangement with SkyBus for the shuttle from the hotel to the terminal for Airport transfer.

Overall, we don't see any value in any area for the price we are paying to stay here and would definitely stay somewhere else more comfortable and convenient in future.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank louissoh
Melbourne04, Manager at Melbourne Short Stay Apartments Southbank Collection, responded to this reviewResponded August 27, 2013

Dear louissoh,

Thank you for providing your feedback following your recent stay with us. We appreciate you taking the time to help us continue to improve our guest experience.

We are sorry to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. I would like to take this opportunity to apologise that you did not receive the high level of service that we pride ourselves on delivering to our guests. Your feedback regarding our lack of assistance in helping you find your way around Melbourne will be used in our up-coming training sessions and in the on-going development of our customer service team. This may have impacted on your view of the convenience of your apartment's location, as our Southbank Central apartments are located within a 5 minute walk of Crown Entertainment Complex and approximately a 15 minute walk into the city centre.

Each of our locations does provide a building concierge who is there to provide general assistance to any resident of the apartment tower, whether they are permanent residents or Melbourne Short Stay Apartment guests, however they are not directly employed by us.

Following feedback from our valued guests, we are pleased to share that we are currently refreshing these apartments, including the replacement of some furnishings and fixtures. Your feedback regarding the dirty utensils, dusty wardrobe and loose shower screen have been directed to our Housekeeping Department to investigate and action.

With regard to apartment servicing, we clearly state on your booking confirmation and across our website that our apartments are serviced every 7 days from the date you check in. We are more than happy to arrange additional servicing during your stay should you require it. There is an additional cost associated with this. Our self-contained apartments feature washer/dryers and we encourage our guests to utilise these should you need to refresh linen within the 7 days. Our Suite apartments do include complimentary daily servicing.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to write your review.

Reviewed August 13, 2013

I stayed with my family in a two bedroom apartment over a long weekend, which I selected after reading generally favourable reviews on this site. As noted in other reviews check-in has to be completed at another apartment location and these apartments are only serviced every 7 days.

The location is conveniently opposite Spencer Street Station and a 15 minute walk to most of the CBD's sights and restaurants. You're not in the thick of it, but it's central enough and easy to get around.

The apartment itself was dated and the carpets were nothing short of disgusting with large stains located in numerous spots throughout. The layout was decent and there was enough room for the three of us. There was construction on other apartments surrounding the block during the day and the windows were thin which meant there was definitely some street/tram noise throughout the night. The metal blinds were damaged, which lead to light leakage of the city lights in the evening and morning sunrise.

On the positive side of things the foyer was beautiful, concierge helpful and the apartment had everything we needed. However, I'd really only give this review at 2.5 star rating.

• Stayed: August 2013, traveled with family
1  Thank markgcb

Dear markgcb,

Thank you for taking the time to leave a review of our Melbourne CBD apartments on Bourke Street. We appreciate you helping us continue to improve our guest experience.

We are very pleased to read that you found the location to be convenient, the concierge helpful and and the apartment well-equipped for your stay. This location, with its beautiful entry foyer, provides convenient access to the city and all it has to offer, while providing some escape from the hustle and bustle.

I would like to apologise that your apartment did not meet your expectations, nor the standard we pride ourselves on delivering. Following guest feedback, we are currently in the process of updating our City Point apartments; replacing damaged blinds, refreshing some furnishings and replacing the carpet in selected apartments.

Again, we thank you for writing your review and we hope to have the opportunity to welcome you back to Melbourne Short Stay Apartments in the future.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

We recently stayed in a 3 BR apartment in the 6th floor and there was no view at all! The ceilings are low and space is not really that big. There was no free wifi and we paid $9.95/day for the internet.

Location is quite far from shops and eateries. There are 2 convenience stores nearby but very expensive and with limited choices.

Staffs were accommodating and immediately responded to our requests, like defective door locks and noise in the control pipes (temperature control).

Closets in the masters bedroom was sooo dusty you don't wanna go in and put some clothes.

Please take note that there are no air conditioning units in the bedrooms and could be really hot in the summer. It was ok during our stay since July is winter in Melbourne. The air conditioning/heater unit is only in the living room. There is only 1 tv in our apartment.

I would rather stay somewhere else more comfortable next time.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family

Dear milds2000,

Thank you for taking the time to provide some feedback following your recent stay with us at Southbank Central. It is through this kind of feedback that we can continue to improve our guest experience.

Firstly, I would like to thank you for your kind words about our helpful team. We pride ourselves on delivering a high level of customer service and continually work on this through training and team development.

We are disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. We do our best to accommodate any requests we receive for an apartment with a view, however we are unable to guarantee this unless you upgrade to a Premium View apartment, which boast spectacular views of Melbourne's CBD, beautiful parks and gardens or Port Phillip Bay. The location of this apartment tower is one of its biggest appeals; you can enjoy a short 5 minute walk to Crown Entertainment Complex, home to some of Melbourne's best restaurants and bars, or stroll down along Southbank promenade to the Southgate complex where you can find a plethora of shops, restaurants and bars.

I have passed on your comments regarding the dusty wardrobe to our Housekeeping Department for follow up and action.

Again, thank you for providing your feedback.

Reviewed July 30, 2013

When I come to Melbourne and I have always stayed at the CBD and this time I thought I take the family to stay somewhere different and it was an enjoyable stay.
Four of us were luckily been upgraded from a 2 to a 3 bedroom huge apartment on level 31 with stunning river and city views. The 3 bedroom has a huge open plan kitchen, dining room and a lounge with city views. The large 3 bedrooms also have views. The kitchen is fully equipped and there is a big Chinese grocery store and a supermarket just opposite to the apartment. There are 2 bathrooms and one bathroom even has a view. There is also a laundry.

Location wise, it's a 5 minute stroll to the Crowne Casino and 5-10 minute walk to the Southbank.
You will need to catch a tram if you want to access north of the CBD eg Queen Victoria Market (or it's 30 minute walk).
Parking is at a reasonable price at $16 per day
Service from staff was friendly and courteous.

The only small negative thing about this apartment is that the previous guests have not been careful with the use of this beautiful apartment and the blinds on the windows have been damaged by rough usage. I can understand that it is very costly to replace them as there are so many glass windows.

Overall, it's wonderful wonderful stay.

Room Tip: Higher floors. Worthwhile paying extra for the great city view (at booking it has option of premier...
  • Stayed: July 2013, traveled with family