WINNER WONDERLAND
Win Big When You Book on TripAdvisor

“Don't stay here!!” 2 of 5 bubbles
Review of St. Arnaud

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Melbourne
St. Arnaud
Ranked #12 of 16 Melbourne B&B and Inns
Melbourne, Australia
“Don't stay here!!”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 29, 2014

Front desk initially pretty miserable as we arrived with 10 mins to spare before they closed. The room was ok, sheets were clean but my half of the bed was so uncomfy,I could feel all the springs. The bathroom floor was wet most of the time as the shower leaked, not always loo paper. No spoons for the 'breakfast', no one to help. Neighbour was a long stay resident and had tv on loud all night long. He was shouting with partner last night at 11.30 and then 1.30am. All in all a horrible place, save your money to go elsewhere.

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Ellisrobinson66

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 31, 2014

This is a rambling, old house in a good area. And that's where the good review ends.

Firstly the owner is an absolute dragon. A noxious Irishwoman with an obvious chip on her shoulder, rules the roost with an iron voice and an overfed cat at her side. If her jagged, searing accent doesn't get you, her unforgiving halitosis will.
Secondly the price rises for the tennis (and who knows what else) to $50 for a six-berth dorm bunk bed!?! The people I shared with were relaxed and pleasant but the room was like a sauna and the carpets had a heady combination of cabbage and urine.
Thirdly, you can't keep your food in the kitchen and have to balance it on the room's wonky shelf or cram it into the small fridge, along with everyone's resulting in the bizarreness of travelling backwards and forwards with bags of food and drink.

It's not all bad though. The girls on reception, despite being slated in reviews, were pleasant and helpful and certainly worked hard enough. The place has got character. Nevertheless, avoid (or avoid the Dragon). I kicked the cat before I left.

Room Tip: Avoid the Dormitory rooms and AVOID the Irish Dragon.
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled solo
7 Thank Gef S

Travelers are raving about these Melbourne hotels

London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 25, 2014

After driving through South Yarra in a taxi, taking in the views of the botanical gardens, the beautiful, well kept houses and the quirky streets I had a good feeling about this hostel.... Then I arrived!
Opposite a row of clean, well kept houses stood this dirty, unmaintained, run down building. My friend and I looked at each other and just laughed!

We headed to reception where we were greeted by the receptionist and what we presumed was the owner, a friendly Irish lady.(Irish)
They were both friendly and knowledgeable about the local area. We were given a map which explained how to get to the main attractions etc...

We had booked into a double room with shared bathroom as this was literally the only place left in our budget because it was during the Australian Open so everywhere else was fully booked.
As we made our way up the old staircase we were hit by a overwhelming stench of foist, mould and general dampness.
The corridor was dark and airy, something like you'd see on a horror movie!
So we get to our room, go inside. Its basic, but its relatively clean... The bedding was clean and their was a decent sized flat screen tv, fridge, microwave and kettle! All the basics needed for a budget stay....

The smell of damp and the extreme heat was a problem but Irish had been kind enough to put a fan in the room.
We went to find the shared bathroom, and that's exactly what it was....
whatever time of day you went to the bathroom it was occupied, very frustrating!!
We worked out that there was roughly 1 toilet per 30 guests! Not ideal....
The bathroom wasn't kept clean, it was boarded up above the window a on more than one occasion there was no toilet roll.

We happened to be unfortunate that during our stay there was an extreme heat wave of 43 degrees! The lack of, or no aircon made it absolutely unbearable to sleep!

Outside or room was a note saying "No sleeping bags are allowed in any rooms, they must be kept in the luggage room" why? I don't know!! We snook my sleeping bag into the room because as a traveller that's what we sleep in!
I must admit during the day we did pack our sleeping bags away because we'd hate to upset Irish and her notes!

Breakfast....
Don't bother! When we checked in Irish told us all about breakfast, she explained that there was juices, tea, coffee, toast and cereal on offer! She seemed proud that she also offered chocolate spread for your toast. She loves chocolate spread.
The kitchen was dirty, there was a dead cockroach in the sink, there was no hot water to wash up, the butter was literally water because it had all melted, the cutlery was dirty and again, there were more notes on the wall... WASH ALL CUTTLERY AND PUT AWAY, DO NOT LEAVE ON THE DRYER!

The best note was in the communal room... DUE TO A NUMBER OF PEOPLE NOT WASHING UP, WE NOW REVIEW CCTV DAILY. ANYBODY SEEN NOT WASHING UP AND PUTTING AWAY THEIR BREAKFAST POTS WILL BE ASKED TO LEAVE IMMEDIATELY!! - I mean, come on Irish!! Just employ someone for 4 hours a day to re stock the breakfast items, keep the kitchen clean and most importantly, wash up!!!

I can safely say we will not be staying here again, or recommending this place to anyone!
If a little bit of money was spent on the exterior and interior of this place, it could be a fantastic hostel!

Beware fellow travellers, Irish is always watching!!!! ;-)

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank carlie s
Copenhagen, Denmark
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2013

The house certainly has character, and you get the feel that you are visiting some old family member (with and odd taste in magazines). Location is good, and their description as to how you find your way there is spot on. The breakfast is fine and the kitchen facility is quite okay.
That said, the beds are noisy and squeeky and the mattresses are very poor. The carpet in our dorm was full of dust bunnies in the corners, but the bathroom was nice and clean, wich is more important in my oppinion.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Melbourne, Australia
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 27, 2013

I checked in and noticed most rooms are empty. Beds are very uncomfortable and I complained but staff said this is what we have. On second night more ppl checked in and due to no ventilation in the room there was horrible stench (Bo - room stinks) as reception was closed i had to wait till next day. Next day when I asked staff to maybe change my room they were rude and told me if I don't like it I can check out but they won't refund money paid up for the week. When I told this to a fellow backpacker reception lady threatened to call police and kick me out if I don't shut up. I have never witnessed such rude ppl Australia. I advise if you can find another place stay away from this hostel.

• Stayed October 2013
3 Thank Triptooz
Melbourne
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 3, 2013

I enjoyed my stay at St Arnaud and liked the location to the city and public transport. The reception staff were very helpful and friendly and have a good knowledge of the area and public transport. It was good being able to access the internet, pay TV and having cooking facilities.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 4, 2013

It is a hostel and for the money you cannot expect any luxury. Bathrooms are sharred by everybody and most taps are leaking. We were four in one tiny room, quite hot with only a fan, window facing the yard. I cannot immagine how people sleep there in the middle of the summer.
But the common areas - kitchen, dining and communication rooms - quite well equipped. And perfect location in a beautiful street of Victorian era houses, parks around, not far to the free shuttle buss stop.

Room Tip: Maybe the rooms facing the street are not so hot.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Melbourne
Chapel Street
Seasons Botanic Gardens
#83 of 157 in Melbourne
Quest on Dorcas
#1 of 2 in South Melbourne

Been to St. Arnaud? Share your experiences!