“Great location”

and 1 more site!
St. Arnaud
Ranked #15 of 23 Melbourne B&B and Inns
Reviewed February 4, 2013

I stayed here for 6 days during the Australian Open in Melbourne. I had a great time and the location is excellent. However, the facilities leave a little to be desired. There are only 2 showers per floor, which means that there is a long wait for one in the morning. Also, if you're a light sleeper, you might be better off ensuring you don't have a room out towards the main road, as the tram makes a lot of noise every time it rolls by. However, in general, I had a positive experience, much due to the friendly staff and the nice people I met there.

• Stayed: January 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed February 3, 2013

I didn't mind my stay here, but I really copped it from my high maintenance wife to be. The rooms have bunks, not good for couples. The rooms on the street side are noisy due to the tram line going past, this eases at midnight-ish but starts again early in the morning. Breakfast did run out quickly, although they did replenish the bread. The amount of cutlery and plates is inadequate and this should be addressed. There are not enough bathrooms and showers, which are shared. It's in a nice area, although there are more central options if that's what you want. It is about equidistant to the city and to chapel st. The room, sheets and bathrooms were clean enough for me.

Room Tip: Stay away from the road.
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank adz717
Reviewed January 19, 2013

Its not the best hostel we stayed in which is such a shame as it has alot of potential. It has alot of character, and is a spacious hostel but they do not have enough bathrooms. Never cooked in the kitchen so i cant comment on that, breakfast supplied was pretty standard. Room was good and location was right near the tram.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 12, 2012

I do not often write reviews bur felt compelled to do so in this case. Having travelled previously for three months, I was well aware of different hostels and their various problems - this did not prepare me for my stay at St Arnaud.
To start on a positive note - the location is very good and the room sizes are adequate. I'm afraid that is where it ends. The "complementary" breakfast was minimal, often having run out of essentials very quickly. There was literally no cutlery and myself and my companion were forced to spread butter with a carving knife - not exactly what I expected. There are notices asking residents to clean up after themselves, however this is very difficult to do when there is no cleaning equipment and the tea towels are sopping wet and unable to dry a thing.
The bathrooms were, for want of a better word, gross. I literally heard the bath mat squelch under my toes when gingerly stepping into the shower. Not easy to have a relaxing shower when your stomach is turning. When I informed staff about the bathmat and suggested that they may perhaps want to have a look at it as the shower base could be leaking, I was met with a rather hostile "We clean every day!". I was not disputing this, merely suggesting an investigation.
To be fair to the staff, when we did have a problem, and felt forced to contact the manager, there was an apology, and extra internet time given, although I feel I should say that I was scared beyond measure at the apology from the manager, and hid in my room until the coast was clear.
Sorry St Arnaud, but this could easily have ruined my first experience of Australia, thank goodness for the great people and wonderful city of Melbourne.

5  Thank Kate D
Reviewed December 1, 2012

Do not stay here. Where shall I start. The room was not vacuumed when we arrived, and even though they said they 'deep clean' their rooms it was, for want of a better word a bit scummy. The bathrooms are shocking, dirty, wet, sodden bathmat, paint falling off the walls, hair everywhere- eugh. Also there are not enough bathrooms for all the rooms, only 2 on each floor to service about 20 people each. The kitchen is tiny, you cannot cook in there, you can't even get a glass of water easily because there is only 1 sink, there is no cutlery- trying to put Vegemite on my toast with a carving knife after a night out is unsafe. There is no duty manager, no one knows what to say and you get passed from pillar to post, I eventually spoke to the manager who scared the life out of me. On the up side, there were clean linen, towels and 2 pillows. Breakfast was toast and cereal, so that's grand.

Room Tip: If it's warm try not to go upstairs
1  Thank lucwood
Reviewed November 16, 2012

Stayed at St Arnaud for two nights. Culd have stayed longer but found cheaper and better elsewhere. The room was fine, decent size. Very limited internet but ok if you need it for a short time. There was no where to hang the wet towels in the room. We had a double room for around 72 Dollars a night. The shared bathrooms were not very clean and there were no locks on the doors. This place caters more for young backpack travellers. For more experienced travellers who want more value then this is not the place to stay. Breakfast was self service with lots of backpackers in one kitchen making toast etc, not the best way to start your day. Location is good and bed was comfortable. Not a terrible place but not great either:-)

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 3, 2012

Take a pair of flip-flops when you visit St Arnaud's!
Good basic facilities, including a clean bar fridge in the room. Clean beds, fresh towel daily.Clean and well equipped shared kitchen.Invisible staff.
All good value in this low price range :-)
The bathrooms,however, were terrible! Not just mess left behind by other guests but long -term, ingrained, stick-your-feet-to-the-floor kind of filth. YUK! The mats afforded no protection as they were just as bad.
No sign of any cleaning happening during our 3 night stay with full occupancy. Dust and crumbling grandeur has a certain quaint appeal, but BIOHAZARD does not. They need to lift their game and give bathrooms a regular thorough scrub and steam clean, and maintain with a daily once-over plus some spray product for guests to use as necessary on toilet and basin.
If the bathrooms were given some much needed attention, I could happily recommend it.

3  Thank Alison B