Harbour View Apartment Hotel
Novotel Melbourne on Collins(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$130
$123
$91
$87
ibis
  • Bar/Lounge
Treasury On Collins(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$165
  • Breakfast included
Pan Pacific Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$200
$125
Hotels.com
  • Room Service
The Hotel Windsor(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$157
$69
$67
  • Fitness center
Art Series - The Blackman(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$170
$126
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
Art Series - The Larwill Studio(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$137
$232
$225
$184
  • Pool
All reviewssouthern cross stationcoles supermarketnice kitchencooking utensilsmain bedroomminute walksecond bedroomfree tramsmall balconyapartment was cleanspencer st stationsky busbourke streetkitchenetteskybusetihadfoyer
FilterAll languages
Reviewed January 2, 2013

We stayed for four nights in a one bedroom apartment over Christmas. The double bed was off the living area and not completely separate but this was no problem for us. The single room was separate from the living area with sliding doors and shutters that could be opened from the double sleeping area, making it easy to check on our daughter at night.

The kitchenette was more than adequate and had a microwave and two burner stove. There was a small balcony. Secure parking was available for $15 a night. Beds were made each day. Great location for spencer st station and etihad stadium. It was about an hour's walk to the MCG.

Overall we were happy with this hotel and would recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank GGGinaG
Reviewed January 1, 2013

I have to be very careful with this review. I really did not like the apartment we stayed in at the Harbourview – I jokingly called the place “Wentworth Detention Centre”. However my fellow traveller DID like the apartment and said, for the price, it was quite reasonable. Plus we both loved the location near trams and a short walk from Southern Cross Station and the airport Skybus terminal.

We made a late decision to spend a week in Melbourne at Christmas and serviced apartment choices were limited. The Harbourview had a special offer on their one-bedroom apartments so we took it reluctantly (after reading some reviews on Trip Advisor).

Although I’d looked at the photos travellers had uploaded, I don’t think I was quite prepared for how small the shared areas of the apartment were. You walk in and there’s a small kitchen area with a half sized fridge with microwave on top. You look down a small corridor which is interrupted by a small dining table with two chairs. As you walk on you see a 2 person sofa, an LCD TV with DVD player in a small area that really is just part of the main bedroom area.

The main bedroom is the lounge if you know what I mean. There’s no separation and with the limited space, there couldn’t be anyway. The bed I slept in was almost in a separate room. It had a sort of louvre windows unit between it and the main room. My fellow traveller kept opening these and saying “Hello, I’m Mister Ed!” Which probably gives you an idea of what they look like (if you’re familiar with the TV show).

There was a small wardrobe in the main bedroom area and a small cupboard with one shelf in my “room”. No coat hangers for me – we had to go out and buy some. I found my single bed rather uncomfortable. The bedding was very light – the blanket very thin although there was a mega-thick blanket in the cupboard. Two big thick pillows were provided.

The TV and DVD player (Region 4 only) functioned well. We ended up buying a set of headphones so my travelling companion could watch DVDs in the morning without waking me. I could hear his snoring through the louvre windows which didn’t block out sound or much light.

The shower pressure was sensational – that is something we both agree on! The bathroom itself needs a bit of an update and the shower cubicle is small. So if you’re a larger person you may have problems.

Kitchen utensils were provided. There’s no oven as such – just a microwave and a toaster. The small fridge’s freezer was way overdue for a defrost which limited out ability to put food in it.

There’s no washer or dryer in the apartment – there are communal machines which currently cost $3 per washing load and $2 per drying load. One washing machine had bits and pieces inside and I didn’t feel comfortable washing my clothes in there. I bought a few new things instead.
We stayed here for 7 nights. I guess I got used to it but I really wouldn’t choose to stay here again. My flatmate says I am exaggerating the problems and that it was perfectly fine.

I guess, yes, it wasn’t actually AWFUL. It’s just that it really wasn’t somewhere you want to stay and live for a whole week. Maybe 1 or 2 nights would be okay. I just found it quite claustro.

Reception staff were friendly, helpful and efficient – always a plus. The lifts were fast too – not always the case.

And the location? Well, yes you do get the clanging of the trams as they go by but you’re on the corner of Latrobe & Spencer...next to tram 86, 30, 35 (the free tourist tram) and more. The location is superb.

Room Tip: Ask for a higher floor which may reduce the noise from the clanging trams as they go past.
  • Stayed: December 2012, traveled with friends
2  Thank guru_g_syd
Reviewed December 22, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Harbourview View Apartment Hotel for our 10 year wedding anniversary, on the 1bedroom Summer Special deal for 2 nights (also was given a nice bottle of red wine from the apartments as a present which was very much appreciated).

After reading reviews I requested a higher floor room which we were given. Other reviews are correct, with the sliding door open the noise from the road from cars and trams is pretty loud, however with the door shut you barely notice. It was really hot when we stayed and the air conditioner does a good job of keeping the room cool.

We had absolutely no dramas checking in, and were able to leave our bag in the cloak room after we checked out as we weren't leaving Melbourne til later in the afternoon.

We caught the Sky Bus from the airport, so the short walk was a bonus. As was the close proximity of Coles to the apartment. A tip for beginners tho catching the free City Circle tram anti-clockwise if you need to be somewhere at a particular time. It goes and does a detour up into the Docklands before doing the loop. We were trying to get to a soccer game at AAMI Park via the tram and ended up having to get a taxi due to the nice tram detour. In hindsight we should have caught it clockwise.

There is a harbour view, but you have to look real hard through the construction site and across the Docklands. I suspect at some stage in the past, prior to all the building work you probably would have had a view! There is a great view of Etihad Stadium, which is literally a stone's throw away. When we come back to Melbourne from Canberra to watch the footy, Harbour View will definitely be on the top of our list to stay at!

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank kezmatthews
Reviewed December 13, 2012 via mobile

Stayed for 3 nights here in a family room. Reason why I chose this place is the proximity to the free city tram and one of the cheapest car park for 15 a night.
Other than that, nothing much to shout about.
Wasn't too impressed with the housekeeping. Felt that it was done minimally. Well, guess can't complain much for the price we are paying.
The full kitchen was a bonus. Ended up buying food back to cook rather than eating out. Well, at least it was much cheaper buying back to cook.

• Stayed: December 2012
Reviewed November 29, 2012

We booked a 1 bedroom self-contained apartment for 4 nights. The hotel is located on the western side of the CBD. The room we got had 2 bedrooms (1 with double bed and a separate room with a single bed). There was a 2-seater sofa in front of the TV, and a small dining table with 2 seats. Kitchen had a microwave, cooktop and a fridge. There were coffee and tea making facilities. Even dishwashing liquid and a tea towel were provided. The size of the bedrooms was alright but the wardrobe space was very small. There was also an in-room safe. The bed was comfortable and the linen was clean. However, it seemed they didn't vacuum the carpet often as I got hayfever every morning I woke up - I suspected it was the dust in the carpet. There was a small balcony. The bathroom was clean and spacious but the shower cubicle was small, water pressure was excellent. Traffic noise was minimal (as long as the window or the balcony door stayed closed), However, there was a high-rise construction going on across the hotel (Spencer St) so it was very noisy in the daytime on weekdays - my plan to sleep in one morning went out the window.
There is an Italian restaurant beside the hotel lobby, but it was too expensive for us. The place is very handy to Skybus, Coles, King St. restaurants, trams and buses. It's about 35 min. walk to Federation Square, 20 minutes to Crown Casino, also an easy walk to Victoria Market through Flagstaff Gardens. But the area is a bit deserted after 10pm.The free trams start at 10am so we walked if we had an early start instead of buying a Myki to ride on the paid tram.
I noticed a faint cooking smell in the hallway and the lobby floor sometimes smelled moldy, especially on a wet day.
Staff at the front desk were friendly and helpful.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple