I have to be very careful with this review. I really did not like the apartment we stayed in at the Harbourview – I jokingly called the place “Wentworth Detention Centre”. However my fellow traveller DID like the apartment and said, for the price, it was quite reasonable. Plus we both loved the location near trams and a short walk from Southern Cross Station and the airport Skybus terminal.
We made a late decision to spend a week in Melbourne at Christmas and serviced apartment choices were limited. The Harbourview had a special offer on their one-bedroom apartments so we took it reluctantly (after reading some reviews on Trip Advisor).
Although I’d looked at the photos travellers had uploaded, I don’t think I was quite prepared for how small the shared areas of the apartment were. You walk in and there’s a small kitchen area with a half sized fridge with microwave on top. You look down a small corridor which is interrupted by a small dining table with two chairs. As you walk on you see a 2 person sofa, an LCD TV with DVD player in a small area that really is just part of the main bedroom area.
The main bedroom is the lounge if you know what I mean. There’s no separation and with the limited space, there couldn’t be anyway. The bed I slept in was almost in a separate room. It had a sort of louvre windows unit between it and the main room. My fellow traveller kept opening these and saying “Hello, I’m Mister Ed!” Which probably gives you an idea of what they look like (if you’re familiar with the TV show).
There was a small wardrobe in the main bedroom area and a small cupboard with one shelf in my “room”. No coat hangers for me – we had to go out and buy some. I found my single bed rather uncomfortable. The bedding was very light – the blanket very thin although there was a mega-thick blanket in the cupboard. Two big thick pillows were provided.
The TV and DVD player (Region 4 only) functioned well. We ended up buying a set of headphones so my travelling companion could watch DVDs in the morning without waking me. I could hear his snoring through the louvre windows which didn’t block out sound or much light.
The shower pressure was sensational – that is something we both agree on! The bathroom itself needs a bit of an update and the shower cubicle is small. So if you’re a larger person you may have problems.
Kitchen utensils were provided. There’s no oven as such – just a microwave and a toaster. The small fridge’s freezer was way overdue for a defrost which limited out ability to put food in it.
There’s no washer or dryer in the apartment – there are communal machines which currently cost $3 per washing load and $2 per drying load. One washing machine had bits and pieces inside and I didn’t feel comfortable washing my clothes in there. I bought a few new things instead.
We stayed here for 7 nights. I guess I got used to it but I really wouldn’t choose to stay here again. My flatmate says I am exaggerating the problems and that it was perfectly fine.
I guess, yes, it wasn’t actually AWFUL. It’s just that it really wasn’t somewhere you want to stay and live for a whole week. Maybe 1 or 2 nights would be okay. I just found it quite claustro.
Reception staff were friendly, helpful and efficient – always a plus. The lifts were fast too – not always the case.
And the location? Well, yes you do get the clanging of the trams as they go by but you’re on the corner of Latrobe & Spencer...next to tram 86, 30, 35 (the free tourist tram) and more. The location is superb.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Arrow on Spencer (also known as HarbourView Apartment) offers convenient and value for money accommodation from hotel rooms, studio, 1, 2 & 3 bedroom self-contained apartments with individual decor. Perfectly Located at the west end of Melbourne CBD, on the corner of Spencer and La Trobe streets. Southern Cross station and Etihad Stadium are nearby with FREE TRAM STOPS at our doorsteps. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Orbitz, Ctrip TA, Priceline, Agoda, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, TripOnline SA, Hotwire, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your Harbour View Apartment Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Harbour View Apartment Melbourne
- Hotel Harbour View Apartment