“A perfect stay” 5 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
London
“A perfect stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 24, 2010

We stayed at the Langham as part of our honeymoon. Our welcome was amazing! They were so excited that it was our honeymoon and gave us a better room and complementary drinks vouchers. After check in, we went to our lovely room with a great view. Then the door bell went and it was the man from reception personally delivering a chocolate cake with 'congratulations' piped on the plate! The hotel was very decorative and the beds were so comfortable. The breakfast was extensive and amazing. The best bit was that we were expecting to be looked down upon in a 5 star hotel when we are young and not rich but we were treated fantastically! Great location too!

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,275)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Auckland
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

Booked over the leading hotels of the world website. As the leader club member, entitled to room upgrade, early check in and check out, welcome gift. This is my second times of staying at The Langham Melbourne. First time was not very pleasant but would like to give it a try. Surprise it is one of the top rating hotels in Melbourne, even in Australasia. Upon on arrival, the porter did not offer the help with my luggage. Upon on check in, the receptionist did not say "Hello" or" Welcome". She seemed very upset and offered a cold face without any smiles. She did not advise whether my room was upgraded or not. Arrived in the room, dust all over the desk, found a half-drunk Coca Cola Bottle with a straw inside in the minibar. Taking the bottle to the reception and would like to complain about the issue. The Assistant Manager seemed upset too and offered a cold face without any smiles (I suspect the Langham Melbourne training their staff in the same way). After hearing what I was going through, she did not say "sorry" and just say she would look into the problem and would have to change the room for me but it would took one and half hours. After coming back into the new room, still no welcome gift. After a series of compaints, a club access voucher was given to me. The club voucher entitled me to use the facilities for free like internet access. The club lounge was small, old and dated and offered limited selection of food and beverage. The room was dated, old and the carpet was all over the stains. Met a lot of staff inside the hotel, no one was saying " Hello" to me. In the morning, when I had breakfast, ordered a cup of coffee in the beginning. The coffee did not come until I finished my breakfast and the staff was almost pouring the coffee to the table. When I arrive at home, the bill came to my email and showed I was charged for the internet. Called back and the staff said the reception was not aware that I got the voucher. I was also charged $10 for using the credit card to settle the bill. It is so ridiculous that the 5 Star hotel surcharge 1.5% for using the credit card. The whole hotel was dated and old and staff was extremely poorly trained. The room was very noisy and you can hear someone was showering at 4am in the morning. It was not sound-proof at all. The price was expensive for that kind of service in comparison with Sofitel and Westin.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with friends
3 Thank liao8150
bsington, Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, September 17, 2010
Thank you for taking the time to give us your valuable feedback which has been shared with all departments. We always encourage feedback and continually aspire to improve our guest experience when any physical or service issues are brought to our attention. We have responded to you separately as you contacted us directly also.

My apologies we did not meet your expectations on this occasion and allow you to relax and enjoy your stay. We certainly appreciate your detailed comments which I have passed to both our Front Office Manager as well as our Housekeeping Manager so that these matters can be shared with the team and we can further improve the experience for our guests. I believe that despite your concerns with some of our staff members you were pleased with the service received from Ricardo our Service Stylist, who I know looked after you during your stay.

We are delighted you chose to stay at The Langham, Melbourne and we hope to welcome you on future occasions.
Ben Sington
Managing Director
Gold Coast
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2010

The Langham was affordable luxury, friendly and helpful staff and the delightful Melba's breakfast with a view of the Yarra and the city of Melbourne. Walking distance of Arts precinct, shopping and Crown Casino.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
NSW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2010

We stayed between the 13 - 15th In twin river view rooms, This hotel is great its nice when you book a river view room and get one without any building In front the hotel also provides all the details you expect. Overall we used just about every facility apart from the langham club from the Spa to the Buffet.

The spa
Chuan spa is Superb very relaxing and the treatments being tailored to you was great.

Melba
Melba is one of the best buffets we have tried in australia, We tried it at breakfast and dinner the selection of food is great with quality pretty good as well from the Peking duck pancake to the Naan bread.

Pool area
The pool area is mostly quiet although on weekend afternoons it gets a little busy great spa with Nice views over the city.

Aria Bar
Tried here for afternoon tea which is very busy on the weekends with bookings recommended ended up with just a cocktail which was nice although service understandably slow

Business center
This must of been the biggest letdown I am willing to pay in room internet but Business center internet is also charged I thought that was something 2 star motels do not 5 star It was $5 for 15 minutes.

Overall Great hotel with pretty good service things were delivered very quickly e.g. Laundry and Room Service but it was very good value.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled with family
Chelsea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2010

I stayed at the Langham for my wedding night. I arrived at 2pm on the day with my mother, auntie and step daughter. I booked the president suite and it was amazing. We went up to the lounge and had afternoon tea. The cakes were beautiful. We definately ate way too much.
We arrived back at approximately 12am. We had a view of flinders street station. The bed was sooo comfortable. We ordered room service and jumped around like 2 mad people. In the morning we went for a swim in the pool and looked over the city, We ordered breakfast in the room and had a late check out.
The service was great. We are going to continue to stay here every year for our anniversary.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

Who said this hotel was 'one of Melbourne's finest'? They should cross over the Yara and stay at the Westin or Sofitel then... the Langham was probably once a great hotel..but now, faded frills. The decor is very late 80's Dynasty...the lobby all fountains, faux luxury and shopping mall lighting. The attitude at check in was non chalant and this is one of the most expensive hotels I visited in Oz. The fountain 'stair case' which everyone seemed to want pictures of...have people never seen a fountain before? honest..there were hordes of tourists coming in to photograph themselves by these fountains...the escalator was out of order the day I arrived and the door/bell staff were friendly...but that is where the 'hospitality' ended.

The room I had was on the 11th floor...1115... partial view of Melbourne...pink and grey/brown interiors. Dark bathroom with poor lighting and a small shower cubicle. The bedspread and duvet were un-natural fibres and the floor looked like it hadn't been hoovered in weeks. The hallways were scruffy and the pool (indoor) was like YMCA pool. This hotel is over rated and dowdy, yet in a great location. I guess that is why people stay here. The rooms are not well insulated..I could hear guests on either side arrive, depart, shower and use their facilities...only earplugs saved my sleep.

As I said, next time it will be the Westin or Sofitel. Or, the Prince in St Kilda. Give the Langham a miss.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
    • 3 of 5 stars
1 Thank Chris_Battersea
Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 30, 2010

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Langham. It exudes 'victorian era' class and style. Staff are exceptional and the rooms were excellent quality. Very central location, with all the South Bank restaurants on your doorstep, and well as a pleasant 5 minute stroll to the city. Would definately stay again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled on business