“Almost Perfect”

The Langham, Melbourne
Ranked #5 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed August 16, 2010

We stayed between the 13 - 15th In twin river view rooms, This hotel is great its nice when you book a river view room and get one without any building In front the hotel also provides all the details you expect. Overall we used just about every facility apart from the langham club from the Spa to the Buffet.

The spa
Chuan spa is Superb very relaxing and the treatments being tailored to you was great.

Melba
Melba is one of the best buffets we have tried in australia, We tried it at breakfast and dinner the selection of food is great with quality pretty good as well from the Peking duck pancake to the Naan bread.

Pool area
The pool area is mostly quiet although on weekend afternoons it gets a little busy great spa with Nice views over the city.

Aria Bar
Tried here for afternoon tea which is very busy on the weekends with bookings recommended ended up with just a cocktail which was nice although service understandably slow

Business center
This must of been the biggest letdown I am willing to pay in room internet but Business center internet is also charged I thought that was something 2 star motels do not 5 star It was $5 for 15 minutes.

Overall Great hotel with pretty good service things were delivered very quickly e.g. Laundry and Room Service but it was very good value.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
There are newer reviews for The Langham, Melbourne

Reviewed August 11, 2010

I stayed at the Langham for my wedding night. I arrived at 2pm on the day with my mother, auntie and step daughter. I booked the president suite and it was amazing. We went up to the lounge and had afternoon tea. The cakes were beautiful. We definately ate way too much.
We arrived back at approximately 12am. We had a view of flinders street station. The bed was sooo comfortable. We ordered room service and jumped around like 2 mad people. In the morning we went for a swim in the pool and looked over the city, We ordered breakfast in the room and had a late check out.
The service was great. We are going to continue to stay here every year for our anniversary.

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 1, 2010

Who said this hotel was 'one of Melbourne's finest'? They should cross over the Yara and stay at the Westin or Sofitel then... the Langham was probably once a great hotel..but now, faded frills. The decor is very late 80's Dynasty...the lobby all fountains, faux luxury and shopping mall lighting. The attitude at check in was non chalant and this is one of the most expensive hotels I visited in Oz. The fountain 'stair case' which everyone seemed to want pictures of...have people never seen a fountain before? honest..there were hordes of tourists coming in to photograph themselves by these fountains...the escalator was out of order the day I arrived and the door/bell staff were friendly...but that is where the 'hospitality' ended.

The room I had was on the 11th floor...1115... partial view of Melbourne...pink and grey/brown interiors. Dark bathroom with poor lighting and a small shower cubicle. The bedspread and duvet were un-natural fibres and the floor looked like it hadn't been hoovered in weeks. The hallways were scruffy and the pool (indoor) was like YMCA pool. This hotel is over rated and dowdy, yet in a great location. I guess that is why people stay here. The rooms are not well insulated..I could hear guests on either side arrive, depart, shower and use their facilities...only earplugs saved my sleep.

As I said, next time it will be the Westin or Sofitel. Or, the Prince in St Kilda. Give the Langham a miss.

1  Thank Chris_Battersea
Reviewed July 30, 2010

Thoroughly enjoyed my stay at the Langham. It exudes 'victorian era' class and style. Staff are exceptional and the rooms were excellent quality. Very central location, with all the South Bank restaurants on your doorstep, and well as a pleasant 5 minute stroll to the city. Would definately stay again.

Reviewed July 28, 2010

I was attending Sealy Bed Launch and had a wonderful time . The Dinner was fantastic. My room absolutley wonderful and I sleplt like a dream on you guessed it.........on a king size SEALY bed. I had a wonderfull breakfast , there was everything there to choose from. Next time I'm in the city I will stay there again

Sue T

Reviewed July 26, 2010

Been to the Langham a couple of times and it was both amazing. Good location and good service. The room is a bit smallish though, but it was adequate. Definitely my favourite hotel in Melbourne.

• Stayed: February 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed July 26, 2010

Recently stayed at the Langham Hotel Melbourne. I chose to write a review as my stay was over and above expectations. Plane arrived early in the morning, and check in is not till 3pm, but the reception staff called housekeeping to clean us a room asap, and then found us at coffee nearby to deliver room key. All staff friendly and knowledgeable. Room was of good size and very clean. The location meant I could walk with kids to Mall, Aquarium, Federation Square, or even Museum. Meals could not be faulted. My 2 and 4 yo children were also treated well in this lavish hotel. I will be going back to try their famous high teas next.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family