“Stunning, romantic hotel with all around luxury and one of the best health spas in Melbourne”
Review of The Langham

The Langham
Ranked #4 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersSilver level
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed March 22, 2010

I stayed in The Langham for one night for a relaxing spa break in Melbourne and didn't want to stay anywhere in the central business district. I like to stay in different hotels when I am in one city for more than a few days to experience different surroundings and facilities. I specifically chose The Langham because of the positive things I'd read about the Chuan Spa and the swimming pool and I needed some chill out time. The hotel is located just off the scenic Southbank Promenade, a short walk from across the bridge over the river Yarra to Flinders Street Station and the CBD. I had heard about how good the health club, pool and Chuan spa at The Langham is and I am glad I chose to experience it all, as it was wonderful. Definitely one of the most luxury hotels I've stayed in, anywhere in Australia and by far the best hotel spa I've used in any hotel in Melbourne.
Upon arriving at The Langham, the lobby was stunning, with a large chandelier hanging down from the ceiling and attractive surroundings. Staff were fast with check-in and very polite. My room was spacious, with two large beds and a large, very well equipped marble bathroom. There was a good choice of lots of different teas and coffees in the room and a large mini bar. The mini bar items in hotels are always very expensive, but I used the fridge to store my own food. The work desk was large, so ideal for anyone who needs somewhere to work on and there is good complimentary hotel stationary. Internet was extra cost and I didn't use it. Toothbrushes, toothpaste, mouthwash, cotton wool, nail file, talcum powder, shoe polish, razors and all necessary items are all provided in the bathroom free of charge or just ask housekeeping, who were very quick and helpful in delivering extra hair conditioner and body lotions I wanted. Two pairs of comfortable slippers to use in the spa were also in the room.
I was eager to use the spa facilities and swim in the pool almost as soon as I got into my room. The pool is 15 metres, with glass cover, but with a nice relaxing sundeck outside. I was the only person swimming when I was there and the only person in the sauna and steamroom, so I chose a good time to go. It was relaxing and very private. The changing rooms are also spacious and there is everything you need, even cotton wool, body lotions and deodrant. I didn't use the gym, but it looked very good. There are plenty of different treatments on offer at the spa, but I didn't get anything done, I was only interested in enjoying a good swim, sauna and steamroom. The whole place was really quiet the next morning when I went for a swim and there was nobody else around except working out in the gym. The massage oils and products they use are for sale in the spa shop and I bought a couple of bottles of massage oil, which were great. There are testers for all the different scents of oils at the reception desk as you arrive.
I never ate in the restaurant or had breakfast included, as I had requested a late check-out at 1.00 and wanted to make the most of the pool and health club before I left. There are lots of good restaurants and cafes within a few minutes from The Langham. I would definitely stay here again, but I couldn't stay the night in a room that plush alone again, I would have to be with a lover! As great as it is, it's just way too romantic and luxury to enjoy alone (apart from having a tranquil time alone in the spa area) and if I had been with a boyfriend there, it would have been even more fabulous. It's an ideal hotel for wedding receptions and if anyone wanted to have their honeymoon in Melbourne.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,395)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Delhi
Reviewed March 21, 2010

The Langham is a very friendly hotel, highly suitable for business travellers. The view from the breakfast area over looking the river and the station is very pleasent. Rooms are clean and crisp and staff is very helpful. I say this despite having turned up at the hotel to check in at 10pm when their computer systems were down. The attitude and energy of staff is fantastic.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Melbourne, Vic
Reviewed March 21, 2010

We checked in for one night to celebrate my boyfriends birthday. Spend the afternoon relaxing in the enormous and super comfy and luxurious bed, went for a leisurly stroll around Melbourne and had a fabulous dinner at The Meat & Wine Co on Southbank.

We had a fantastic sleep in the deluxe king size bed and opted for a sleep in and in-room breakfast which arrived right on time, in perfect style. We really didnt want to leave. The experiecne left us in a dream-like state for the rest of the day as we spent more time exploring the city (a favourite passtime of ours) We even left our car at the hotel the following day at no extra cost, and were delighted by the extra special touch of a lovely bottle of water in the car for our ride home.

Highly recommended - our favourite hotel in Melbourne!

Kent
Reviewed March 21, 2010

Good location on the South Bank with all facilities apart from free internet / Wifi access even in the Business Centre it was chargeable !!
Come on Langham / 5 Star hotels start providing this free for your Guests who need to keep in touch by email whilst travelling .

London
Reviewed March 20, 2010

The Langham manages the difficult task of combining 5 star luxury with a friendly, homely feel. Nearly everything about our stay was nearly faultless. As the title says the bed was the best we've ever slept in. Only minor gripes were the English breakfast tea in the room was dire and the buffet breakfast, whilst comprehensive did have the manic feeling often encountered in hotel breakfasts. We had a Yarra river view which added to the experience.

Australia
Reviewed March 18, 2010

A hotel with exceptional service. To enjoy a stay away from home and enjoy a service that is often over looked by other hotels. Exceptional staff and management.

Rooms, very clean and well appointed.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed March 16, 2010

Where do I start.

Right from check in it is a pleasure to be in this hotel. Check in is a breeze and it's always nice to be recognised from previous stays. This being my 4th visit to the Langham.

Stayed in a river view room with great views over the city and the yarra. Room is large and tastefully decorated. Bathrooms are fantastic.

Location is great. Walking distance to everywhere in the city and extremely close to trams if you need to head out a little further. Only a stones throw from the casino.

Would I stay here when next in Melbourne. A definite YES!!

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business