“Wonderful stay at The Langham” 5 of 5 stars

The Langham, Melbourne
Ranked #4 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersSilver level
Perth, Westernn Australia
“Wonderful stay at The Langham”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2009

My husband and I stayed at The Langham from 19/6 for four nights on a short break to Melbourne. Our stay was wonderful. At check in we were advised that we were in a non smoking room when I had requested a smoking room. This was smoothly sorted out and we were soon in our room on the 21st floor. Partial views of the Yarra and Southbank from our window. The room had all the amenities expected of a five star hotel. Lovely toiletries, bathrobes, in room safe, tea/coffee making facilities, iron & ironing board. We both loved the bed and pillows. Very comfortable. Our room had one of the newly installed flat screen tv's that my husband made use of.
We didn't eat in the hotel as there are so many options close by. We also didn't use the pool or spa facilities so can't comment on these.
Staff were always friendly and polite and check out was a breeze. Overall we had a great stay and look forward to staying here again. A quality hotel.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,255)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2009

Stayed for two nights 12 / 13 June. It was fantastic, rooms were of a good size, really clean and the persoanl amenities were pretty nice. The staff were great and nothing was too much trouble, even when we needed emergency safety pins! Breakfast was great, but didn't have dinner although the afternoon teas looked pretty special!

The hotel is set out really well and we loved the spa and pool area...we had it completely to ourselves which was a treat. We ordered room service and it was fast, fresh and overall excellent - the meal sizes were generous by hotel standards and the fresh complimentary breads were a great addition.

Definitely looking forward to our next stay....even though we only live around the corner....that gives you some idea of how impressive our stay was!

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Parkerz
Melbourne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2009

This is the second time we have stayed at the Langham Hotel using Fly Buys points. The hotel is in an excellent location in the heart of Southgate i.e. close to restaurants, shops, Sunday market, Yarra River, Crown Casino (Village Cinemas) and the Melbourne Exhibition Centre.

We decided to stay here because my husband had booked tickets to a show at Crown for my birthday. In addition, there was a Print Expo at the Melbourne Exhibition Centre that weekend so everything was so close.

I received a call from the Langham a day or two before our stay - not just the routine courtesy call, but a call from David, the "Service Stylist", who wanted to know if there was anything at all he could do for us to make our stay better. He even gave me his personal phone extension in case I could think of anything later. I found this call very genuine and friendly - not a "routine" call at all.

Our room was clean and comfortable and I could not believe the amenities that we provided. Instead of just the normal shampoo and soap, there were also toothbrushes, hand shavers! Very up-market! The shower was fairly large, with a good, strong jet. We received a complementary newspaper in the morning and were able to get a late checkout for 2pm, after having a delicious lunch at the Melba Brasserie.(Just a hint with the restaurant - it is lovely but Sunday lunch is a lot more expensive than other times of the week.)

Melbourne
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2009

The Langham Melbourne is the perfect location to stay whilst visiting the theatre. We saw Wicked at the Regent theatre and it was only 10-15 mins walk along Swanston St.
We had lunch in the Aria and breakfast the next morning in the Melba. Great selection of food on both occasions and nothing was too much trouble. Service was excellent.

sydney
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2009

very dated decor & for the price there are alot of newer nicer places in melbourne

• Stayed May 2009, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 stars
4 Thank bigfella2
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

Having stayed last year at Langham Place in Hong Kong (see my review if you like), and being the best hotel I ever been to, I chose to book The Langham for our stay in Melbourne. I think there are differences between Langham and Langham Place brands, the former being more traditional, opulent and luxurious, and the latter more modern and minimalistic. I still prefer Langham Place (just a matter of personal taste), but The Langham Melbourne is indeed a fine 5 star hotel, in a superb location at walking distance from the city, from many restaurants and cafes of all styles, and to the Crown Entertainment Center and Casino.
Check-in was quick and efficient, they took our bags from the taxi and sent them straight to our room on the 12th floor, with an excellent view of the Yarra river and the city.
The bed was huge and comfortable, but what really made a difference was the sheets, I never felt sheets so smooth, getting into the bed was like getting into a pool of cream, so we nicknamed them "the cream sheets" :)
I was a bit disappointed to find an old CRT TV in the room, I would have expected an LCD in a 5 star hotel in 2009, but after all, I wasn't in Melbourne to watch TV.
Bathroom was nice, with a bathtub and a shower, although I would have liked more light in the shower cubicle, which was practically in darkness.
Cleanliness was perfect, although a weak point was the toiletries were not replaced every day, and one day we left the bath robes to be replaced (they were soaked), they were taken away but not replaced, we had to call and ask them to bring us a pair to the room.
Pool is on the 6th floor, it's covered. Not to large, and they also have a nice hot jacuzzi with colour lights.
Breakfast was top quality and huge variety, including a chef cooking eggs at request, and another one cooking pancakes.
Internet was fast but expensive at A$25 per day (I think hotels should provide free internet to their guest, they're charging a lot for something which is pretty cheap to them). If your laptop have a good antenna, there's a free wi-fi access point in nearby Federation Square, although slowish, good enough to check mail and surf a few sites.
Staff was always attentive, friendly and helpful, except maybe at the last minute when we were waiting with our bags at the door for the shuttle bus to the airport, nobody helped us with the bags nor told us the shuttle was already waiting in a lateral street, if I hadn't go outside to take a look, we would have totally missed it.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again and if I'm in Melbourne again, and at other Langham hotels in other cities around the world (I think the next one will be the Langham Place in Krabi, Thailand next year).

2 Thank Lovecraft
bsington, Managing Director at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, May 28, 2009
I am delighted to advise that we have started a project of installing 42 inch LCD TVs in all guest bedrooms during the winter. We already have 20% of the rooms installed, so Trip advisor reviewers may request a room with the new TVs pending the completion of all rooms.
Monrovia, Liberia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2009

I was a bit worried about the location because it's not in CBD but it's just across the river and really not far, so it was no problem after all. Now the hotel: First, the street entry lobby has a waterfall feature that is really very lovely adding a great ambience. We arrived quite early but were shown to our room no problem, a superior corner room with a view of the city and river. The room was nice if a bit old fashioned decor for my taste (unbelievably, no flat screen tv!). The heater was a bit weird by alternating hot and cold to manage the room temp. Marble bathroom was very nice. The spa is so great! There are separate men/women steam rooms and sauna which were going full steam and really heavenly. There is a nice indoor heated salt water pool and jacuzzi, too, covered with windows and overlooking the river and city . Come here to use the spa. What made Langham stand out to me, besides the spa, is the service. Really fantastic service.

1 Thank NibblingNomad