“Great location and a joy to stay at”
Review of The Langham

The Langham
Ranked #5 of 159 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersSilver level
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Great location and a joy to stay at”
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Sometimes it is worth paying that bit extra for this standard of hotel. From the moment we stepped out of the car to our departure, everything was just perfect. The service, room and all amenities were excellent as was the location - would highly recomend

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,398)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Boca Raton, Florida
Reviewed February 9, 2014

The hotel has a fantastic location. Our suite was on a high floor and quite nice. We had the use of their Club Lounge for breakfast and it was very nice. The concierge at the Hotel was among the best I have ever encountered anywhere. The problem with the hotel is the management. They are not accommodating. We were staying locally in Melbourne and called ahead to see if our room was ready. We were told to come on over at around 11:00am as the suite was ready for us. When we arrived the former guests had not even checked out yet. The reception desk told us it would be no more than 30 - 60 minutes to wait and we should go to the club lounge and have a coffee. When I double checked with the duty manager all he would say is he would do his best. Some two hours later when we checked back we were told that the guest had overstayed his checkout and there was nothing they could do. We should go sightseeing and when the room was ready it was ready. All other suites had been allocated so there was nothing they could do even though their were vacant suites. If we were unhappy they would be happy to call a cab for us to go to another hotel. Just the way to start a stay. Some four hour later our suite was ready. There was not even a "sorry" for the delay. Totally unacceptable. Management can certainly put a damper on an otherwise enjoyable stay

Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank vettesfl
Brisbane
Reviewed February 8, 2014 via mobile

Just about to check out and we have had a wonderful two night stay at The Langham. Couldn't have hoped for a better room, spacious, well equipped and superbly comfortable beds. Of course the best feature is the location along Southbank with easy walking to Melbourne Park, city shopping and transport. Our only concern is the lack of included wifi which is available at a cost. Valet parking was included in our stay but was useless as we were from interstate. The hotel should consider deleting the parking with the option of wifi instead.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank tevman
Reviewed February 7, 2014 via mobile

This is hands down one of the best hotels I've ever stayed at. The service and attention to detail is impeccable. The views of the city are amazing as is the location. Allow extra time for breakfast because there is so much to choose dork and it is all delicious.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank PavIova
Mehul D, Manager at The Langham, responded to this review, February 8, 2014
Thank You, for posting your feedback on trip advisor. We are delighted to learn that you enjoyed our service during your stay. I must say, you have very truley suggested to give yourself enough time for breakfast as our Melba breakfast is very extensive and has plenty to offer. I look forward to welcoming you again to Langham hotel and Melba Breakfast.
Kenilworth, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 6, 2014

I should firstly say the Langham is a lovely hotel - but it is how you are made to feel which determines the quality of your stay. Our lasting memory of this hotel is how the Langham made a first class job of making us feel like second class guests.

At reception our check in clerk did an excellent job of welcoming us - we were aware of another guest checking in at the desk next to us who appeared to have multiple reservations for guests arriving for the Australian Tennis Open (as were we). Just as we were about to be handed our room key, the check in clerk at the adjacent desk told our clerk that we could not have the room he had allocated to us, and then proceeded to rebuke his lack of knowledge in front of us, whilst at no time acknowledging our presence or offering any form of explanation or apology.

Our embarrassed check in clerk apologised profusely to us before delivering the news that there were no other rooms available (2:00 pm). We were given a complimentary drink and asked to wait in the bar, being promised a text message to my mobile as and when a room was ready.

As I felt increasingly annoyed by the way we had been treated, I complained to the Manager, Ben Sington, who promised to investigate the matter. My wife and I went out before returning to the hotel just after 3:30, when a room was ready, albeit we never received the promised text message.

The following day, having heard nothing, I re-iterated my complaint to Mr. Sington in writing.

We never received an acknowledgement, let alone an explanation, from anybody at the hotel, which leads us to conclude the Langham simply doesn't care. No amount of glitz, glamour, or luxury facilities can compensate for being made to feel an unwanted insignificant inconvenience.

A totally disappointing experience - we could see the local Travelodge from our room window, we would undoubtedly have enjoyed better service there.

7 Thank MickandLucy
bsington, Manager at The Langham, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Dear Mick and Lucy
Thank you for staying with us during the tennis and giving your feedback.
I am sorry that you have not had a response from the hotel. Regrettably it was not me you spoke to nor do I recognise your photograph. We have looked through our correspondence and logs and cannot find anything pertaining to your experience. Otherwise we would have certainly followed up. I apologise if your comments have slipped through the net. As you will see from other reviewers and our replies to reviews we certainly do care. It is the core focus of our business, to know our guest and build great memories. We have responded directly to you to establish more information regarding your stay dates. Nonetheless we will discuss your comments with the Front Office team so that we improve.
I am pleased that you enjoyed other aspects of your stay and you thought the hotel was lovely. I hope that you will consider using us again.
Ben Sington
Managing Director
Adelaide, Australia
Reviewed February 5, 2014

I stayed at a guest of the wonderful Langham Hotel, located on Southbank. Everything was perfection, from the welcome to the farewell. The room was perfect, views on the 17th floor overlooking the Yarra River, Federation Square and the skyline of Melbourne. The room service was fast, breakfast at Melba was great. All Staff were friendly and helpful. The bed was like a cloud. I cant think of enough good things to say about my stay here, and would definitely stay again. Location walking distance from where I needed to go, but Taxi rank nearby, where the Porter will whistle for one for you so you don't have to walk. Outstanding service all round.

Room Tip: I had room 1701 - 'wow' view of Melbourne.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Mehul D, Manager at The Langham, responded to this review, February 6, 2014
Thank you for posting your feedback on trip advisor. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your recent stay with us and found it to be a pefect one. Our team in room service and restaurant are very pleased that they were able to make your stay pleasant. Also, the Langham " Blissfull bed " is very popular with all our guest and often do get purchasing requests for them. I and my team look forward in welcoming you again to the Langham Melboune.
Kalgoorlie
Reviewed February 4, 2014

Hi stayed here for 5 nights in Jan. I wouldn't stay again unfortunately as the rooms are getting very dated and the furniture needs to be stripped back and re varnished as scratches are showing. Wallpaper at the top is starting to peel of as well. Cushions also need covering again as they are very faded. Curtains had marks on them as well just not 5 star. Rooms were not serviced on 2 occasions and I had to call them at 4.20pm for someone to come and another day it was after 3pm. 5 Star hotel rooms should all be serviced by at least 2pm its really upsetting when you come back from a busy day and find your room has not been done. The breakfast was fine and staff in Rest lovely though the rooms really need attention now and for the price its not value for money.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
jmclaughlingrm, Guest Relations Manager at The Langham, responded to this review, February 5, 2014
Thank you for taking the time to post your review. We have contacted you directly in order to obtain more information regarding your stay. Thank you.