“Very comfortable” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersSilver level
Reston, VA
“Very comfortable”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2013

This hotel is lovely and well located on the river across from the train station -- and easy 5 minute walk to the main downtown area. My room was immaculate and well-appointed. However, although promised a river-view room, my room had only a partial river view (which was not a major factor for me, but it might be for some). Service was generally good, but spotty. For example, I checked in early and my room was not ready. I left my bags with the bellman and went out on a tour to Phillip Island. When I returned at 10 p.m., my bags had not been delivered to my room as promised and when I called, the person I spoke with had no idea where my bags were. I did get them within 30 minutes, but it was not what I wished to be doing at 10:30 p.m. The restaurants are excellent, but pricey. But I would stay here again given the location and overall ambiance and service.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
1 Thank LindaReston_VA

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,251)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013 via mobile

We have been to Melba's 5 times and each time we have been we have taken my sons wife, and my daughter and the partners, all done on fly buys, and the staff dont treat you any different to a paying customer, The moment you walk in to Melba's the decore is absolutely supurb, not to mention the Buffet Dinner, crabs , oysters , prawns, variety of indian meals, asian , Australian, etc, and the desserts are to die for,miniature desserts but as much as you want, and also chocolate fountain , with a mixture of fruits marshmallows , and to top off the the assorted cheeses, and the staff are all so polite and very nice.

• Stayed March 2013
Perth, Western Australia, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2013

The location is great, the entry and lobby are really elegant. Breakfast is good, if a little expensive. The rooms are clean and well furnished with comfortable beds and good appointments.

The problem is the plumbing is very noisy, and doors slam as guests enter and exit their rooms. Both factors combined resulted in two restless nights.

I stay at hotels more than most, and do not have these problems at other hotels. I will not return.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 stars
1 Thank Mickthered
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Firstly I cannot by any means fault the staff at the Langham. They were all courteous, friendly, etc. and I was greeted in every elevator, corridor and so on. It’s perhaps that my expectations were as high as the ratings on tripadvisor and therefore I’m somewhat disappointed. A girlfriend and I booked a room each as a surprise for our husbands who share the same birthday. Both our rooms smelt of cigarette. Not just a tad, but a lot. There was no mistaking the smell. Although the hotel is not to blame, they are at fault for allowing the room to be used again with that stench. Secondly, we went to the bar for a celebratory drink. We waited so long to be attended to that we had to walk up to the counter and ask for service. I understand it was “high tea” time but, once again, it’s about the sort of expectations one has when booking one of the top rated hotels in the country. Breakfast the following day was again, good, but not outstanding. The queue was ridiculously long and it’s those little details that make the difference between a superb stay or a good one. Having said all that, the location is certainly unbeatable and so are the staff.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Geelong, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

Beautiful hotel with great, genuinely friendly service. Nothing was to much trouble for the staff. Came away feeling refreshed. We were treated as people not numbers. The room was comfortable, generous in size and extremely clean. We were close enough to walk to the tennis center and the city for shopping and close to many restaurants.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My wife and I celebrated our 15th wedding anniversary last Friday by spending the night at the Langham. From the moment we arrived until we left we felt extremely well looked after. The rooms are very special and extremely clean. All the Staff were friendly and helpful. Facilities are luxurious. The Melba Restaurant was delicious for dinner and breakfast. the beds were very comfortable, Everything was perfect.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Adelaide, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

We had the good fortune to have a Club Spa Suite on the 24th Floor and had the unique opportunity to visit the club lounge three times a day for the very best of both service and food.
We had a celebration lunch at the Melba - which I believe has got to be up there with the wonderful food experiences. Our stay was four nights and we virtually relaxed inside the hotel for the duration. We will be returning. The staff in the Club Lounge were the best we have experienced.

Room Tip: Higher floors to enjoy the Club Lounge - it is worth it.