“nice classic hotel”

GreenLeadersSilver level
Brussels, Belgium
“nice classic hotel”
Reviewed January 19, 2013

i have stayed in langham hotels all over the world. this was was just as good as the others that i have stayed in. once again the theme is very classic (not overly modern) and a real joy to walk into each day after a long day of sighseeing. the rooms were spacious and offered great views of the yarra river and the cbd lights. we had a buffet breakfast and lunch at their in-house restaurant. we noticed locals eating here for a birthday so shows just how good the place is for food. we will return here on our next visit.

Room Tip: choose a room with a city view or you will face a car park!
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,408)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Maryland
Reviewed January 19, 2013

I stayed at this hotel for four nights from 12/21-12/25. I found that while the property is beautiful and well located, there are some significant service issues throughout that gregatly impacted my overall experience.

Check-in was actually fine...no problems at all.

The concierge was also very nice, although I was unable to use a restaurant reservation he made for me since we talked about a place but he didn't send me a card with the name or location, so I could not find it when I went to go for dinner. Unfortunately, it was for a Sunday night and no one was staffing the desk, so I could not check in either.

The room is functional. I had a club room, which provides access to the Club lounge, free internet, and apparently some other amenities. I did find that both the sheets and pillowcases were quite worn, and there were actually several small holes in at least one of the pillowcases. If I can see these, why can't the housekeeper? And if you can see them, why would you leave them? This is not an Econolodge...this quality should be unacceptable in a hotel like this one.

Of the three mornings I was there, I only received housekeeping ONE day. This is inconceivable to me. One day I called for service...and the other day, I didn't bother and got what I needed when they came for the evening turn-down.

Service in the bar is "iffy" at best. I waited quite a while to place the order, it came relatively quickly, and then I was never actually able to order another drink. At Melba, they act like they are doing you a favor allowing you to make a reservation. It is such a turn off when the conversation starts with "Can I please make a lunch reservation for Monday?" and the response is "That will be $89 per person." I didn't ask how much lunch on Monday would cost, I just wanted to make a reservation. Very odd.

The club lounge is probably the worst I have ever been in. There are only tables and chairs--no couches or comfortable chairs to relax in. All the tables that are there are right on top of each other, and there is impossible to have any kind of conversation without overhearing the people next to you. In the other small room, there is no way for a guest to change the tv station without checking in, and the tables/chairs should probably be replaced with couches to make it more relaxing. I arrived one day at 2:40pm and was hungry. I was scolded by a woman who worked there and told that nothing would be available until 3. I asked if getting some water would be asking for too much. Truly, this was very disappointing.

Finally, as I mentioned above, I stayed at the hotel for 4 nights. Upon check-out, the woman who checked me out did not ask how my stay was, which should be an absolute minimum at a property that aspires to be exceptional. It was obvious she could not have cared lass how my stay was...and I don't think anyone else did either.

I would not stay here again, nor recommend it to anyone else. There are other "nice" hotels in Melbourne...I am sure they will appreciate you, and your business, more than they do here. (Please see my review of the Langham Auckland--THAT is a hotel focused on service!!)

Room Tip: If you get a club room, don't bother with the river view room--the view from the lounge is bette...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank lovemypup
England
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Stayed at the Langham over christmas, my 1st visit to Melbourne and realised we had picked a really good hotel, great location, a lot of money is obviously being invested over the southbank side with the new Crowne casino plus much more. As it was christmas we decided to upgrade to the Club Lounge and to be honest this made our stay, the staff, with a special huge thanks to Somati, Suzanne and the team up there, nothing was too much trouble, we felt very special and were totally spoilt, by Somati especially (thankyou). The only comment I would make as far as the room goes was to avoid being put above the car park entrance side as the noise from the fans is really very loud, the room we ended up in was excellent, quiet, nicely decorated, so had a really great stay.

Room Tip: avoid rooms on the car park entrance side as the is a very noisy fan!!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Monkey1England
Naples, Florida
Reviewed January 18, 2013

This is a lovely hotel. We enjoyed the central location, being very close to the river, shopping and restaurants. The room was lovely, very clean and the bed was extremely comfortable. The buffet breakfast was terrific and we enjoyed sitting directly outside of the restaurant as the restaurant could get very crowded. We stayed here for three nights and enjoyed our stay.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank nice/taste
Canberra
Reviewed January 18, 2013

We stayed in a king river view room which was very nice. Big room and nice bathroom. The bed was like sleeping on a cloud.

Booked online direct for free breakfast and wifi. The breakfast is fantastic!

My partner had a spa treatment which she loved.

I think the pool area could do with a renovation but it is still adequete.

I used the concierge to book a nice restaurant for us and he did exceptionally well with the staff spoiling us from the moment we arrived.

All in all a great stay and i would definitely be coming back.

• Stayed December 2012
London
Reviewed January 18, 2013

Spent the Christmas there. Being a long way from home over Christmas, the Langham gave a very chritmassy feel! Beautifully decorated. Great central location to Melbourne. Great service from staff.
Difficult to get into a hotel restaurant - we hadn't thought it through though, as it was Christmas Eve/Day. But would have been nice for hotel to say "we'll be busy do you want a reservation".

However, still a great place to stay.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gary B
Reviewed January 17, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here for three nights at a discounted rate using wotif/a summer special offer. It was still pretty pricey but everything was absolutely amazing.

The location is great, just on the south bank of the river, 5 mins walk to town and 15 to the MCG. Beautiful riverside views too.

Service was outstanding - all of the staff were helpful and friendly and really make the place very special. And the buffet breakfast is awesome....we are quite well travelled and think it is the best hotel breakfast we have ever seen! It's like a smaller version of the brunches you get in Dubai.

• Stayed January 2013