New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

The Langham, Melbourne
Ranked #4 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne, Australia
“Beautiful views of Melbourne City”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

We stayed at the Langham, Melbourne for our 5th wedding anniversary and it was just fantastic. We enjoyed the Club Terrace room, which included access to the Club Lounge which in itself was amazing value and quality. We enjoyed afternoon tea, pre-dinner drinks and breakfast on the 24th floor with great views over Melbourne city and the food was lovely. The Club Terrace room was great as it had a balcony with sun lounges and a table & chairs so we could just sit & watch the world go by. Would definitely stay there again, service was excellent.

Room Tip: We had the Club Terrace room overlooking the Yarra River
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank kyliebrownie

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,300)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2012

The club terrace rooms would have to be the best as you can enjoy the wonderful club privileges and then return to your room and relax on your own outdoor terrace which is almost as large as the room. Excellent service and very friendly and efficient staff.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank ozherbert
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights in November 2011. Lovely rooms, with very comfortable beds. Well appointed bathrooms. Had a twin room as I was sharing with a friend, and there was plenty of space to spread ourselves out. Location was great - close to the Crown/Southgate precinct but not amongst the crowds that gather there. Definitely worth a visit.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

We stayed at the Langham Melbourne in January for 4 nights. We arrived in Melbourne early morning and from the moment we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by efficient and friendly staff. We were very lucky to be able to check in straight away, and were given a lovely spacious corner room with lovely views of the Yarra river and city.
The staff in the hotel are very helpful and we feel go that extra mile to make your stay memorable.
We have since stayed 1 night at the Langham in Auckland, which was also pleasant. However, I have to say the Langham in Melbourne is a very special hotel.
We will certainly stay here again on our next trip to Melbourne. Thank you Langham for the most enjoyable stay in your wonderful hotel. James & Dianne

Room Tip: the corner room we had was very spacious, request one if available
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled as a couple
San Francisco
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 6, 2012

A beautiful hotel in a great location on the Melbourne riverfront. Our room was a large suite and it was a nice place to relax after a day of meetings in the city.

Everything is in order as you would expect from a Langham - a great bed, toiletries for every need in the bathroom, and a club floor which had a nice selection for breakfast and the early evening happy hours.

Highly recommended.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
Somerset West, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

This is the second time that I have stayed at the Langham in as many years. It is always such a pleasure to stay here and I always look forward to my time at the Langham. It is deservedly the best rated hotel in the city and there is almost nothing to be critical about. Everything was great during my stay – the room, the service, the restaurants – as usual. My only complaint is that, upon checking out, they add a small surcharge for using a credit card (as if overseas visitors and business travelers were going to pay >$1000 bills some other way?). I find this a bit sneaky and reminiscent of many 3rd-world hotels overseas I’ve stayed at. Definitely not expected at the Langham and a bit disappointing.

The breakfast buffet is probably the best I’ve ever had, with such great variety and quality, even including a chocolate fountain to dip your strawberries into. I tried the dinner buffet this time and was equally impressed with the variety and quality of the multitudes of fresh seafood, Indian food and more traditional roast meats and potatoes. An amazing feed!!

I worked off all the buffet overindulgence by visiting the excellent Langham gym. It is open 24/7 and offers a good variety of high quality free weights and machine weights, along with a dozen or so cardio machines (treadmills, bikes, ellipticals, rowers) all with personal TV screens. It is definitely one of the better hotel gyms I’ve seen around Melbourne.

I would strongly recommend this hotel to other travelers and definitely want to stay here again myself. It is a bit of a splurge but there is no better place to do it than the Langham.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 5, 2012

I have stayed at The Langham at least half a dozen times. The more you frequent the same hotel, the higher the chances of it being a bit hit and miss: occasionally everything goes wonderfully well, and other times things go awry. Thankfully, I have only experienced the latter once. On every other occasion my stays at The Langham have been wonderful.

Location of the hotel is, for me, one of its strong-points. I stay here when I come to Melbourne to watch the football. It is an easy 15-minute walk to the MCG. (When my team loses it’s a not-so-easy 25-minute trudge back.) Flinders Street Railway station is only 3 minutes walk from the hotel and there is nice shopping on Southbank, which is right at The Langham's back door. Melbourne CBD and shopping is about a ten-minute walk away. Walking along the river promenade as night falls is one of the great experiences of Melbourne.

Every staff member I encountered on my last visit was unfailingly pleasant and friendly, from the porters to the staff in Aria, to Reception.

Breakfast is served in Melba restaurant on Podium level. For a full buffet breakfast it will set you back $40.00, which - unless you have the appetite of a centre half-forward - is outrageous. Choice is good, although I could find no scrambled eggs. I know there is a dedicated egg station, but I didn't feel like queuing. I am sure I didn't eat forty dollars worth of breakfast, or even twenty, come to that, but, if you stay at The Langham, you are going to either need your boss' credit card or else a thick wallet of your own. I have neither, I simply consider a stay here to be a treat I allow myself a few times a year.

I did not eat dinner at the restaurant on this occasion, although in the past I have, and found the choice to be very good. There are numerous eating-places on Southbank. You are spoiled for choice, and definitely won't go hungry if you stay here.

Rooms are quite vast and the marbled bathrooms are enormous. The towels are huge and the beds are like sleeping on a cloud. I have never been bothered by noise from outside my room or from the adjoining rooms. One does hear the noise from the plumbing when the taps are turned on, which can be a little annoying if your neighbour is an early riser.

There were two slightly disappointing things about my last visit. The first was that the receptionist didn't offer me a room upgrade – the first time I haven't been offered one (I may have been amenable); and the second was that my stay coincided with Earth Hour, and the TV in my room contained the message that the hotel was a supporter of this and that during Earth Hour "minimum lighting will remain on throughout the hotel in accordance with health and safety standards and statutory requirements." I have no problems with hotels doing their bit for the environment; however, in the process, I wish they would try to be apolitical. This guest wishes to retire to his room in comfort without being subjected to the ecoideologies of the proponents of Earth Hour.

These little misgivings aside, I will be back at The Langham.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled solo
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
DavidLM_LanghamMelb, Guest Relations Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, April 9, 2012
Thank you for your comprehensive review. We are delighted to hear that you found our Front Office staff to be helpful and we will certainly pass your feedback on to them. Our Blissful Beds are so popular, they are available through our Flavours of Langham outlet – if you want one for your own home, you can contact our sales staff on 1800 641 107 and they will be able to assist you in describing the options. The best value breakfast prices for residents is when you purchase a room package including breakfast in the tariff, always available on our website. Please be aware there are scrambled eggs in a special steam container on the buffet as well as the chef cooking them at the egg station. The hotel does support Earth Hour. The message on the screen was simply to notify our guests of different lighting levels in the public areas during that time. Lights were not adjusted in the guest rooms unless they wanted to themselves. We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.
David Landis-Morse