New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

The Langham, Melbourne
Ranked #4 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersSilver level
Melbourne
“might just be the best hotel in australia”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

There is something special about The Langham! Is it the location? the staff? the facilities? the f&b? Not sure but all of these factors make for a wonderful experience when staying in this beautiful property. If you are coming to Melbourne fo yourself a favour and stay the The Langham.

Room Tip: Get a room with a view of the River and the city - great at night time
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 stars

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,273)
  • Hungarian first
  • Korean first
  • Thai first
daniellep_9
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

This is the perfect hotel for a mother / daughter break. I took my three-year-old daughter here on an unforgettable "little" girl's weekend. Very child-friendly considering it's so beautiful, we loved popcorn, cookies and hot chocolate for room service and swims in the beautiful pool.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

Stay for one night, check in was quick and friendly. Room was normal standard and had been refurbished. As a 1865 member receive fruit this time was very poor quality. No turndown service. Breakfast was ok, but had problem with cleanliness of glasses & plates. Recently stayed Langham Auckland and while the hotel is no smoking they provide a much better area for smokers. Also security guard was quite rude to my husband who was smoking in designated smoking area. Being from Melbourne and having stayed several times over the years feel it has taken a step back . Crown towers rooms are much brighter.

• Stayed December 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars
bsington, Manager at The Langham, Melbourne, responded to this review, December 13, 2011
Thank you for your review. I am pleased you had the opportunity to enjoy our redecorated Grand Rooms. I have contacted you off line. As an 1865 Member, the guest recognition club of Langham Hotels International we maintain a record of your preferences when staying with us. I am sorry for the shortcomings you mention. I will bring them to the attention of the department's concerned for corrective action and note them on your file for your next visit. I can confirm that The Langham Melbourne and the Langham Auckland are totally non smoking hotels.
We look forward to welcoming you back to Langham Hotels
Best wishes
Ben Sington
Managing Director
Brisbane, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2011

This hotel is everything a luxury hotel should be! The entire complex is lavish, the beds are divine and the staff are amazingly genuine and helpful! Would recommend it to everyone!

Bendigo, Victoria, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 9, 2011

Everything was lovely, service, decor attention to detail. The personal anniversary wishes.
The whole Hotel and staff are wonderful. Great Location worth every cent!

Room Tip: Ask for an upgrade, they are very generous.
Christchurch
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

We have just stayed 2 nights at this Hotel and what an experience. The Hotel staff are very, efficient, helpful and friendly, from the concierge, to the check in staff and housekeeping. The moment you walk in the door the "Wow" factor is there from the doorman, to the exquisite perfume in the air. (I miss that smell!) We had a standard King room and it was more than adequate, a fantastic bed and pillows and wonderful shower in the marble bathroom, (you can press the button on the shower head to change the flow type). We booked directly on the Hotel website and it was hassle free. We didn't have a car so were on foot but The Hotel is close to the city, an easy walk over the bridge. The selection of bars/cafes along Southbank are right at the door. We ate in the city and in Laigon Street which we caught the tram to and it was a cheap taxi ride back to the Hotel It was very quiet of a night time, no street noise to be heard at all. I would have no hesitation recommending this hotel, it was by far the best we have ever stayed in and worth every penny!

Room Tip: We were on floor 11, which is not a high floor, but we had no problem with the location, there was n...
Brisbane
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights over the easter break for a short getaway.

When I booked this hotel I got the feeling it was going to be a good stay just by the way the lady on the other end handled my booking. She was so helpful and friendly.

When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by a well attired gentlemen who offer to take our luggage. I don't normally allow this because I find it takes a long time for the luggage to arrive at your room. However, we had to go up an escalator to get to the reception desk. It was going to be too difficult with our lugguge so I let this gentleman deal with our luggage.

As we entered the hotel, we both had a good feeling. The entrance is grand and flash. The check-in process was fast and effecient and the staff were freindly.

Our room was on the 20th floor and we found the lifts to be fast. I actually paid a bit extra for a cityview room. The room was spacious, well appointed and there was plenty of natural light in the room. The room had a warm and cosy feeling to it. The view across the river and over to the City was magnificient and I'm glad I paid a bit extra for this room. The bedsheets were whiter than white, spotless and crisp. The bed was so clean and comfortable to sleep in. Both my wife and I slept so well here. Although I did find the pillow to sag a bit, but my wife loved the pillows.

The bathroom was immaculate. It was spacious and the bath and shower were separate. There were a variety of complimentary tioletries and other accessories such as bathroom slippers. The bath towels were impressive. They were large, thick, soft and whiter than white. When you dried yourself with these towels they really absorbed the water.

Of all the good memories of this hotel, the best has to be the buffet breakfast. This is by far and away the best buffet breakfast I've had anywhere. The selection is huge. The quality of food is A1. If you have a special request, there are chefs who will cook your meal and you can watch them while they cook for you. There was even a chocolate fountain if you fancied chocolate coated strawberries or marshmallows. During our stay we did find that if you arrived a bit later for breakfast you would have to que for a while. So, because my wife takes a while to get herself ready, I would go down and get a table and my wife would come strait to the table (usually 20 minutes later) without joining the que.

When I saw the location of the Langham on a map I was a bit concerned about the location, mainly because it was on the other side of the river. In fact the location of this hotel is brilliant. What wasn't shown on the map is the pedestrian bridge next to the hotel that goes across the Yarra to Flinders Street Station. So really you have the best of both worlds here: the magnificent Southbank precinct where the Langham is located and if you want access to the CBD it is a short stroll.

I used the gym twice and it was well equipped. I would rate it as one of the better hotel gyms.

The service at this hotel was superb. The staff were freindly and always willing to help. When we were in the room, we had complimentary bottled water brought to us without requesting it. On two afternoons when we returned to our room, we had easter eggs on our bed. Also as part of our deal we had a 2pm late check out. We had a 6pm flight home. So on our last day my wife decided to ring reception and request a 4pm check out. To my surprise the response was we have no one checking into that room today so a 4pm check out will be fine. What great customer service!

I have only three minor negative experiences during our stay.
1. The luggage took some time to arrive to our room (unfortunately this happens at nearly all hotels)
2. The hotel had a sauna. My wife and I thought that we would spend some time together in the sauna. Problem was that the hotel had seperate saunas for males and females.
3. I didn't get to use the swimming pool. This is because I like to swim early in the morning (before breakfast). However the pool did not open until 8am.

Overall this is the best hotel I have ever stayed at and it is now my personal benchmark for all other hotels.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple