“The Best So Far”

The Langham, Melbourne
Ranked #5 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed December 7, 2011

My wife and I stayed here for 3 nights over the easter break for a short getaway.

When I booked this hotel I got the feeling it was going to be a good stay just by the way the lady on the other end handled my booking. She was so helpful and friendly.

When we arrived at the hotel we were greeted by a well attired gentlemen who offer to take our luggage. I don't normally allow this because I find it takes a long time for the luggage to arrive at your room. However, we had to go up an escalator to get to the reception desk. It was going to be too difficult with our lugguge so I let this gentleman deal with our luggage.

As we entered the hotel, we both had a good feeling. The entrance is grand and flash. The check-in process was fast and effecient and the staff were freindly.

Our room was on the 20th floor and we found the lifts to be fast. I actually paid a bit extra for a cityview room. The room was spacious, well appointed and there was plenty of natural light in the room. The room had a warm and cosy feeling to it. The view across the river and over to the City was magnificient and I'm glad I paid a bit extra for this room. The bedsheets were whiter than white, spotless and crisp. The bed was so clean and comfortable to sleep in. Both my wife and I slept so well here. Although I did find the pillow to sag a bit, but my wife loved the pillows.

The bathroom was immaculate. It was spacious and the bath and shower were separate. There were a variety of complimentary tioletries and other accessories such as bathroom slippers. The bath towels were impressive. They were large, thick, soft and whiter than white. When you dried yourself with these towels they really absorbed the water.

Of all the good memories of this hotel, the best has to be the buffet breakfast. This is by far and away the best buffet breakfast I've had anywhere. The selection is huge. The quality of food is A1. If you have a special request, there are chefs who will cook your meal and you can watch them while they cook for you. There was even a chocolate fountain if you fancied chocolate coated strawberries or marshmallows. During our stay we did find that if you arrived a bit later for breakfast you would have to que for a while. So, because my wife takes a while to get herself ready, I would go down and get a table and my wife would come strait to the table (usually 20 minutes later) without joining the que.

When I saw the location of the Langham on a map I was a bit concerned about the location, mainly because it was on the other side of the river. In fact the location of this hotel is brilliant. What wasn't shown on the map is the pedestrian bridge next to the hotel that goes across the Yarra to Flinders Street Station. So really you have the best of both worlds here: the magnificent Southbank precinct where the Langham is located and if you want access to the CBD it is a short stroll.

I used the gym twice and it was well equipped. I would rate it as one of the better hotel gyms.

The service at this hotel was superb. The staff were freindly and always willing to help. When we were in the room, we had complimentary bottled water brought to us without requesting it. On two afternoons when we returned to our room, we had easter eggs on our bed. Also as part of our deal we had a 2pm late check out. We had a 6pm flight home. So on our last day my wife decided to ring reception and request a 4pm check out. To my surprise the response was we have no one checking into that room today so a 4pm check out will be fine. What great customer service!

I have only three minor negative experiences during our stay.
1. The luggage took some time to arrive to our room (unfortunately this happens at nearly all hotels)
2. The hotel had a sauna. My wife and I thought that we would spend some time together in the sauna. Problem was that the hotel had seperate saunas for males and females.
3. I didn't get to use the swimming pool. This is because I like to swim early in the morning (before breakfast). However the pool did not open until 8am.

Overall this is the best hotel I have ever stayed at and it is now my personal benchmark for all other hotels.

• Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank lovers1996
Write a ReviewReviews (5,979)

Reviewed December 4, 2011

I have stayed a few times over the years. I had booked a standard room but still had a room on the top floor with a great view up the river. The hotel is perfectly situated on Southbank and close to Melbourne CBD. Only gripe is parking is very expensive at $50 per night

• Stayed: December 2011, traveled on business
Reviewed December 3, 2011

Loved, loved, loved the Langham Hotel in Melbourne! Located in Southbank, this hotel is ideally situated in the most vibrant section of Melbourne and is close everything - tram, train, museums, gardens, theatre, Federation Square, restaurants, and fabulous shopping arcades. Would highly recommend this property to others who cherish a clean room, a staff that is both helpful and welcoming, a palacial lobby that is most inviting, and comfy beds that permit optimal and restful sleep!!! Donna - Annapolis, MD - USA

Room Tip: Highly recommend a room with a view of the Yarra River- lovely!!!!
  • Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed December 3, 2011

This was my first stay at the Lnagham and I was only there for one night but it struck me that this was one of the most elegant and comfrotable hotels I had stayed in for a very long time. I was on them 23rn floor with fantastic views of Melbourne. The room was large ann comfortable, and the bed was luxurious with the softest pillows I have ever come across.The overall 'feel' of the hotel was simply marvellous and I will certainly stay again whenever I am in Melbourne.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank David E
Reviewed December 2, 2011

Wonderful enchanting place to stay. We stayed in a spa suite with access to the Langham Club room. Such a great experience. Staff of the club very friendly and accomodating. Food and beverages superb. Guest room lovely amenities great. Would recomend it for those wanting a relaxing enjoyable stay.

Cherie

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 30, 2011

Stayed here for a four day conference. Impeccable everything. Five star all the way!! Highly recommend if you have an eye, and appreciation for quality, and service. The buffet breakfast was abundant and never boring. The food has been amazing. I would definitely stay here again. I was impressed by a lovely room on the 18th floor. Having stayed in some really lovely places, this I can happily rate as right up there.

• Stayed: November 2011