“IN DIRE NEED OF REFURBISHMENT”

Punthill Little Bourke
Reviewed September 18, 2011

It was my second time staying at the Punthill Little Bourke. It was chosen for its excellent , central location in Chinatown.
The first time, we chose a Studio Apartment and the second time, we booked a two bedroom apartment through Booking.com , at good rates but non refundable.
This establishment is in dire need of refurbishment. The two bedroom we booked, turned out to be one studio and a one bedroom. There was a short corridor with a door which you could lock from the inside. The rooms were furnished with very modest furniture. The beds were sagged in the middle and I had to use a rolled up towel to support my back.
The bathroom had a spa / shower. It was a big climb into the spa for a short person and as such not disabled or child friendly. Spas are not exactly eco-friendly. So, it is very hypocritical for management to expect hotel clients to re-use the towels as the establishment adopts eco friendly practices and have the audacity to fit spas that use so much water.
It was not a room with a view, in fact, this apartment hotel has no view whatsoever because of its location. My balcony faced a brick wall.
Kitchen facilities were adequate enough to cook a small breakfast. Internet usage rates were quite exorbitant.
The staff were friendly and helpful. Checking in and out was a smooth process. Unfortunately, the Reception is only being attended from 7am to 10 pm. Anyone staying out later than 10 pm could gain entry with a swipe card, so not all is lost. The drawback is if you had to leave the hotel before 7 am, there was no way back in as you had to leave your keycards behind.
Overall, I found this apartment hotel quite depressing in its outlook. It is bland and dark in the rooms with tasteless furnishings...not a happy place to come back to after a day out.
I would recommend it for its excellent location, and that is about it.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends

Reviewed September 10, 2011

We arrived into Melbourne at 9am and by the time we got through customs and took the Sky Bus into central Melbourne it was after 10am, I would highly recommend using Sky Bus. It’s reasonably priced ($26AUD per person) leaves the airport every 10min, direct to the Southern Cross Terminal.

Where you can transfer to a free bus that will take you to your hotel. As there were long lines for the transfer bus, we took a cab to Punthill Little Bourke, ($AUD8.00)

The cab stopped on Little Bourke Street, in Chinatown, the driver said here is your hotel, we looked around and could not see where he was pointing but then saw the signage down a lane just past one of Chinatowns carved arches. That it was off the main street was to be a good thing, as we did not hear any street noise at night although Chinatown gets to be very busy with locals and tourists alike.

We were fortunate that our room 511 was available right away so we could unpack and meet up with our friends who were already staying in room 603

Our room was a one-bedroom apartment, the bedroom wall slides back to open up the apartment, making it more of a large studio. The bed was a large queen size and comfortable.

As you walked into the apartment you passed a kitchenette along one wall. Good to have a full size fridge freezer and not a usual small hotel fridge. The cooking facilities were good enough to make some simple meals.

The bathroom had a two-person spa bath, with a shower attached to the wall, that you had to climb into. Would not be good for an older person as it was quite the step into and more difficult to get out. Water from the shower went everywhere.

The living area was spacious with a pull out couch that had seen better days and a dining table and four chairs. A large flat screen TV.

There was a small balcony with a view of Little Bourke Street if you lean over the balcony a little, but it was better than our friend’s room as they looked at the back of other buildings. In fact I thinks our room was better configured and seemed to have more space.

The staff: the guy at reception was friendly enough but could have done with a bit of shave and tidy up. Room service, well, the trash was emptied and the towels changed but the bed was not made. Little things make the difference.

Punthil Little Bourke Apartment Hotel is situated at the centre of Melbourne’s main shopping streets and lanes. Being able to walk everywhere is a big plus.

On checking out they did try to charge me $180.00 room rate but as I had my email conformation they honored it.

Overall I would stay here again, the rooms/apartments are simply decorated and are going to need an upgrade soon, but at the daily room rate of $175AUD or $220 NZD you cannot expect the Ritz.

Room Tip: ask for a room with a view, not that there is a great choice
  • Stayed: September 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank himandme2gethr
Reviewed August 26, 2011

I first stayed here 4 or 5 years ago but hadn't come back until now. Glad I did! The location is tops and the rooms are modern and spacious. The bed was very comfortable and the room itself was really quiet - despite the location in the heart of Melbourne's China Town. This place could easily become my regular play to stay for future trips to Melbourne.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank qarak46
KeiranS, Director of Sales at Punthill Little Bourke, responded to this reviewResponded August 28, 2011

Dear Qarak46

Thanks so much for leaving your feedback on Tripadvisor.

There is no doubt our central and set back location on Cohen Place provides some sanctuary from the hussle and bussle of the CBD - and most importantly allows you to have a restful night sleep.

We look forward to welcoming you back to Punthill Little Bourke.

Best regards

Keiran Spencer

Reviewed August 20, 2011

the staff members ive engaged with have always been friendly and helpful. Having stayed here numerous times, ive used the srudio as well as the one bedroom with jacuzi appartments..this time it was the one bedroom aprt. Theres plenty of room for 2 people, with a comfy couch, 2 chairs you could use on the balcony and a table with 2 chairs for mealtime.The appartment has cooking facilities,wasing machine/dryer if needed and a dvd player.The bed and pillows are really comfortable and plenty of storage space for 2 people.Ifound the bathroom spacious and clean with good hot water from the shower.
From my experience with this property , the cleaning of rooms is done to a good standard,as i`ve never had a problem here..Although the location is in busy chinatown,you get very little noise in your room.The property has a lap pool if you want a swim..and a couple of pieces of excercise equipment,which is described as a gym.
you can get a continental breakfast there for a nominal fee..but i think its very basic, so i always eat out nearby,there are numerous places to eat.
Theres a tram stop in Bourke st,only 3 minutes walk away.
I`ll keep returning to this property as its always clean, reasonably priced, pleasant staff and a very good location...there isnt much not to like for me.

Room Tip: this is not a hotel with wonderful veiws.but if that doesnt bother you, I can reccomend this place
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
1  Thank gippslandrockdog
Reviewed August 19, 2011

I'm finally getting around to this review! My husband and I stayed here for 3 nights and chose based on TA reviews and the general location of the apartments.

We arrived VERY early 6.30am (first time to Melbourne) and were allowed in by reception who allowed us to leave luggage in a secure room located on the ground floor. They were also good enough to telephone us as soon as a room was available (10.30am) so that we could get some sleep after our overnight flight from Perth.

Upgraded to a spa room which was very spacious with an enourmous bathroom - fluffy white towels, washing machine and drying rack and the usual toiletries. Kitchennette was well equiped with all that we needed for our stay - enough to heat food, make coffee/tea etc. Bed was comfortable with good quality sheets. Other reviews comment on the "dated" furniture but I found it to be quite modern, clean and more than adequate. Large sofa, table, desk, flat screen TV with foxtel. Our room overlooked an alleyway but was very quiet with the double glazing. Blockout curtains were great and kept the room dark for sleeping. Balcony with sliding door and ashtray outside.

Staff were polite and helpful.

Chinatown is only a short walk from everything and for the price we paid we couldn't fault it. We actually spent another night in a 5 star hotel on Chapel Street and my husband prefered this place! Although not luxurious it was a mini apartment and so roomy!

We'll be back.

Room Tip: spa rooms spacious but may pose difficulties for some - climbing in and out of shower/spa
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
1  Thank luluPerth_Australia
Reviewed August 14, 2011

My husband and I went to Melbourne for the weekend and booked this hotel online.

We were given the friendliest of welcomes upon our arrival and our room was what we expected it to be from the photo's. The kitchenette was adequate and there was plenty of crockery/cutlery/glassware for two.

The room was clean and tidy and the washing machine would be handy for a longer stay. There was plenty of soap/body lotion/shampoo/conditioner/shaving cream etc and the bath was lovely!

We were put on the first floor and admittedly it was noisy but it was Saturday night so happy revellers were to be expected! When we stay again I will ask for a room higher up and/or take ear plugs. I don't know how noisy it would be during the week but possibly less noisy.

The location was fantastic, we loved being in Chinatown and so central to everything.

I think this hotel is good value for money with the location, room size and facilities and the friendly staff just topped off a great weekend.

We will definitely stay again!

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a high floor, particularly for weekend stays!
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 13, 2011

Four of us spent 9 nights here, and found the hotel to be very central, with good sized rooms. Apart from the noise Friday and Sat nights, from revelers below, ( nothing to worry about if you take earplugs) we found it a good place to stay, with comfortable beds and a kitchenette, which we used daily.

• Stayed: August 2011, traveled with friends