“Plush room and central location”

The Sebel Melbourne Docklands
Ranked #56 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed June 21, 2014 via mobile

Docklands isn't a central location in Melbourne as yet with many bars and restaurants still being closed, but nevertheless a quick tram ride and you're in the heart of the CBD.

The hotel was very new with very modern styling, modern room furnishings and new appliances. It was a small room which made travelling with a young baby a bit tricky, but nevertheless the room was very comfortable and pleasant to stay in. One negative was that the car park access to our room was a bit clunky with a few stairs and quite a long walk to our room so with lots of luggage this can be a bit of a mission. The checkout staff were also a bit 'flat' and the man simply handed me my receipt without any thank you or 'come again' etc. I was the one who had to complete the transaction and confirm everything was done and thank him for his help. Oh and lastly, if you love purple this place is for you! We were quite surprised to see the corridors were painted completely purple with mirrored elevators and windows everywhere so the styling is definitely....err.....unique!

Overall we were happy though and we'd stay here again.

Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank Magdalena Q
Antony_Roberts-1, Front Office Manager at The Sebel Melbourne Docklands, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Hi Magdalena Q,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with us, we sincerely appreciate your feedback. I am glad to see that you enjoyed your stay with us, it is great to know that everything went well.

I note your feedback on the staff, and will certainly ensure everyone is back on form and offering our normal enthusiastic and friendly service straight away. Everyone in the team has a very clear understanding of the level of service required at The Sebel & Grand Mercure Docklands.

Again, thank you for taking the time to review your stay. I sincerely hope that you will allow us another opportunity to show you our true level of hospitality on your next visit.

Many thanks,

There are newer reviews for The Sebel Melbourne Docklands

Reviewed June 18, 2014

Enjoyed 3 nights here. Nice surroundings, handy to Etihad Stadium, easy 25min walk to the centre of Melbourne. Good pub nearby. Rooms are new, inclusions are excellent, TV huge with all the pay channels.
Really easy and quick to get to with the new freeways around Melbourne. 100km/h to within 5km of Sebel, Docklands.
Not much in the way of cafes nearby if you want a quick good coffee.

Room Tip: We faced west, which had some noise in the morning due to surrounding buildings putting out garbage...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank mckenry

Hi Mckenry,

Many thanks for your review of your recent visit - I do appreciate you passing on your thoughts. Thank you for the kind feedback on your enjoyable stay - it was our absolute pleasure to look after you. Thank you for your thoughts once again - and we hope to see you back with us soon.

Kind regards,

Reviewed June 17, 2014

The Sebel Docklands apartments are very new and furnished in a very swanky modern style - when you enter the apartment this style complements the theme established in the reception and the impressive 6-storey atrium adjacent to the swimming pool. The kitchens are very well equipped - ideal for a longer stay - with quality appliances including a gas cooktop and draw dishwasher, the bathrooms feature a large walk-in shower, and there is also an internal laundry in each apartment. Most importantly, the beds are very comfortable (without being TOO soft), with quality linen and plump, soft pillows. The location, in the heart of the Docklands New Quay precinct means an abundance of restaurants at your door, and trams (including the free city circle) just outside to connect with the rest of the city.

Having stayed here several times now, I find I am warmly welcomed back each time and am particularly pleased that management really listen to feedback - for instance in my latest stay I noticed the compendiums had indeed been placed in the rooms now, which are a very helpful guide to the local amenities. In fact this helped me select a local restaurant - and I was not disappointed. I had provided feedback on a booking issue after my first stay, and the manager personally contacted me and resolved the issue.

I really cannot think of any major negatives - they could improve the WIFI though by 1) making it free for guests and/or 2) remembering your device as it became a little annoying having to keep re-entering the login code throughout the stay.

Room Tip: Most, but not all rooms have balconies - ask if you particularly want one.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank Sydneysider01

Hi Sydneysider01,

Many thanks for your recent review of your stay with us, we appreciate the time you have taken to pass on your thoughts. I was delighted to see that you rated your stay with us so highly - I will certainly pass this on to our team who will be equally as grateful for the feedback. Once again thank you for your review, and I do hope we get to welcome you back very soon.

Regards,

Reviewed June 3, 2014

Very chic up market motel close to all amenities. Rooms decorated well, beds and pillows comfy as. Pool a bit cool, but spa great. Negatives- no information in the room on services at motel, ie where is the pool, lounge, how to access services such as reception. Lots of card swiping security required for everything!
Had a great breakfast at Cargo as part of the deal, food was fantastic!

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled as a couple
Mark R, General Manager at The Sebel Melbourne Docklands, responded to this reviewResponded June 14, 2014

Dear Bonnie93b,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay with us at the Sebel Melbourne Docklands.
I am please to read that you found the apartments comfortable and well-appointed. I have also taken your feedback on board regarding the temperature of the pool and will be speaking to the building manager regarding this matter. We have just completed the placement of compendiums in all of the apartments.
The team and I look forward to welcoming you back to the Sebel Melbourne Docklands in the future.

Reviewed May 25, 2014

This was our 2nd stay at the Sebel Docklands and would definitely stay again. Located in the heart of the Docklands with easy access to all the restaurants and attractions in the area and also only a few steps to Melbourne's free City Circle Tram. We booked a motel room and received a 1 bedroom apartment with full kitchen, separate bedroom and balcony. Well worth the money and the staff were welcoming and helpful. The apartment was spotless and the decor is lovely. Very well appointed throughout.

Room Tip: Great for a night in the City or for a week away!!!!
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled with friends
2  Thank Macedoncat

Dear Macedoncat,

Firstly I would like to thank you for taking the time to place your feedback on TripAdvisor. I am very please to see that this was your second stay with us. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed the well-appointed apartments.

We look forward to welcoming you on your next stay to Melbourne

Reviewed May 20, 2014

In general this hotel was fine, modern, clean, reasonably quiet, well appointed & located close to many bars & restaurants as well as major sporting venues.

However I needed an accessible room as I am a wheelchair user. When booking I was not able to book one of the cheaper studio rooms as none of them are accessible so I had to pay significantly more. Accor should institute a policy whereby people with disability can access the cheapest rate even if the hotel does have accessible rooms of that standard.

The bathroom was very well set up for people with disability. But the rest of the room showed a complete ignorance of the needs of someone in a wheelchair. The fridge was blocked by the dining table, too much furniture making it difficult to move around, all the kitchen cups, plates, glasses etc were up in high cupboards that I simply could not reach.

The worst feature was the bedroom. I use a very small wheelchair & still had to push the bed to one side simply to have enough room to get beside it. Someone in an electric wheelchair or even a larger manual wheelchair would have had a great deal of difficulty.

A chain as large as Accor with all their resources should have a much higher standard of accessibility & inclusiveness.

Room Tip: Definitely not recommended for people with disability who rely on electric wheelchairs or are not th...
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled on business
Mark R, General Manager at The Sebel Melbourne Docklands, responded to this reviewResponded May 27, 2014

Dear CrippAdvisor
Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with The Sebel Melbourne Docklands. I appreciate your constructive feedback regarding our disable access rooms. In light of your feedback regarding all the furniture in the disable access rooms, I have started to conduct a review of all the access rooms that we currently have to establish what furnishings that can be removed to maximise the space so that they can be better accommodating to a person with disabilities. My team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Melbourne in the future.

Reviewed May 13, 2014

I recently stayed at the Sebel Apartments in Docklands, Melbourne. My wife and I were attending a function at one of the adjoining wharves so chose to stay close to the venue. The Sebel staff were friendly and helpful during our 3 day stay. The apartment was spacious, had all the mod cons and was stylishly appointed.The Sebel Apartments has a gym, an indoor pool and free wifi areas.

It's easy to get to The Sebel via the bus from the airport (20 mins) then a complimentary hotel dropoff from the Southern Cross Buslink (5 mins) - in all 25 mins from airport to hotel is pretty quick anywhere. Ditto for the return trip to the airport - easy to arrange a pickup from your hotel.
The tram stop was located about 100 metres from The Sebel and the City Circle tram is complimentary (aimed at tourists to Melbourne but also used by locals). It's very easy to get around around Melbourne and you really don't need a car. Etihad Stadium is across the road from The Sebel so handy if you're planning to attend major sporting events.

In winter the Docklands area can be a bit cold at night as the wind blows straight in from Port Phillip Bay - probably even from Antarctica - so evening walks along the quay were a trifle chilly - it's Melbourne's version of Sydney's Darling Harbour. It was a bit quite when we were there - quite a few restaurants but not many people.
We booked The Sebel online and found it to be excellent value, well appointed with friendly staff. We would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple
Mark R, General Manager at The Sebel Melbourne Docklands, responded to this reviewResponded May 15, 2014

Dear DiggerChrystal,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay with The Sebel Melbourne Docklands. I am pleased to hear that you and your enjoyed your time with us and I’m also pleased to hear that you were able to get out and explore all of what Docklands has to offer; except for the chilly weather in the evenings. I look forward to welcoming you and your wife back to The Sebel Melbourne Docklands in on your next visit to Melbourne.

Best regards,