“Very nice, lovely complex”

Crown Promenade Melbourne
Ranked #24 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersSilver level
Townsville, Australia
“Very nice, lovely complex”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 31, 2009

Stayed for a conference that was on across the road at the conference centre. The hotel is by no means cheap but I think lived up to expectations. The porter greeted us at our car and was happy to leave at the front since we were returning to Europcar and gave us great instructions of how to get there. We had a arrived early and our rooms were not ready and did get a not to warm welcome from the lady who served us, but she was the first and last in our 5 night stay. Our room included vouchers for the buffet breki in the morning which was a pleasant surprise. We also dined twice for lunch at the bottom food court in the casino, and also took in a movie, what a great complex and all interconnected and building more!

The room was pleasant with a lovely bed, window seat and desk, mini bar and fridge stocked to full. The Tv however was not a flatscreen which is what the website said, not an issue. Bathroom was nice with a large shower, although the hot water took forever to come through. I did ask on check in if my room had a bath as nothing nicer after a day of shopping to have a soak, but apparently no rooms have a bath, somethin g quite lacking I feel in a 5 star hotel.

There was a paper waiting each morning and housekeeping did a lovely job on all bar one day.

Internet was $ 25 for 24 hour which I thought was outrageous, I travel a bit and wonder when Australia will catch up with the rest of the world on this issue. I just traveled around NZ for 3 weeks and the most I paid was $10.

Brekki was nice , the usual buffet.

The concierge helped us out on more than one occasion and was more than obliging.

Was a great stay and the location was fine, a little walk or tram ride over the bridge and you were in the city.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (527)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
Sydney
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 18, 2009

I recently returned from a trip to Melbourne for a conference at the Crowne Promenade. All in all, it was a great experience; the staff were friendly and helpful, the conference facilities very good (though the table covers were perhaps a bit tired, but not a big deal), and the room that I stayed in very comfortable. It's also in a great location for accessing the city/shopping and everything is in walking distance. As for value, I was on a "stay 4, pay for 3 nights" deal so can't really comment. However, there were a couple of things that slightly marred my experience.

It's a long time since I stayed in a hotel where the porter opens your taxi door for you and takes your bags... in fact, I think the last time was in Thailand. For me, that greeting set up an air of sophistication and luxury, so I was more than a little disappointed to enter my room and be met there by an overwhelming smell of stale cigarette smoke! The desk even had a couple of burn marks on it and outside the lifts is a sand "bucket" for stubbing out your cigarettes. I asked to move rooms but the hotel was fully booked so was offered an ioniser, which did help with the smell but wasn't an ideal solution.

Is it just me or does it seem odd that having banned smoking in bars and restaurants, a hotel allows people to smoke in the bedrooms? I'm not a smoker (obviously) so maybe I don't appreciate the nicotine cravings but can you really not go without a smoke for the few hours you're awake and in your room for? I'm also bemused as to how the hotel can even permit smoking indoors but people have said that the Crowne complex has a different set of rules because of all the money the casino brings in... nice to see where the Victorian government's priorities lie!

The other two downsides (not big issues but worth noting) were that in a hotel as luxurious and smart as the Crowne Promenade, why do the bedrooms still have the old style TVs, rather than modern flat screens? (The website says they do, so maybe I was just unlikely on two fronts!) Also, while the oversize shower was great, a bath would have been nice - I love having a soak with a good book so "had" to spend an hour in the spa to be able to relax and read my book (and the spa could do with being a bit hotter)!

Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed my stay and would go back, but will be sure to get a non-smoking room when I do!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank JVCSydney
Wollongong, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 20, 2009

I booked the Crown Promenade on the basis of the reviews here before travelling for the first time to Melbourne. When I got here I was hugely impressed - check in was efficient and slick and the staff were helpful and friendly. I was given a room on the 15th floor with spectacular views over the city. The room was large, with two Queen beds and the decor modern and stylish. It was very clean and the spacious bathroom with its large walk-in shower oozed sophistication.
I ordered room service on the first night which was quick, tasty and reasonably priced.
The proximity of the Crown Casino complex means that you are never far from some great places to eat, shop and be entertained - even if you never head into the casino (which was not my thing). Unfortunately, the elevated walkway between the Promenade and the Casino complex was being repaired at the time of my stay so I had to cross the road to get to it - but this was no big deal. There was also a lovely pool, sauna and a small gym within the hotel on the third floor.
I guess the only thing I was a bit disappointed with was breakfast at the hotel restaurant (Mesh Restaurant). It was expensive at $28 and whilst there was a good selection I felt that this was poor value (no way you can eat $28 worth of food - or at least I couldn't!). As with many hotels, I would avoid this and head across the road to the Casino complex where there are lots of eateries open for breakfast on the ground floor, at much more reasonable prices.
High speed internet is in all the rooms but comes at $25 for 24 hours.
Location wise, it was on the Southbank where there were lots of shops and restaurants; to get across the river was a 5-10 minute walk across any of the numerous bridges. Very handy for sightseeing. They apparently run a free shuttle bus to the city (but I didn't need to use it as the walk was so easy).
Getting there from the airport was also relatively easy; taxis (of course) but also the Skybus service ($16 one way to get into the city) was also quick and painless. When I booked the Skybus, I hadn't realised that the hotel transfer was thrown in for free, so was pleasantly surprised when we disembarked at Southern Cross Station and they asked us all for our hotel destinations and assigned us to different buses. I don't think the hotel does its own airport transfers unless you've pre-arranged something like a limo.
I would definitely recommend it and stay here again.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
4 Thank Serena A
Sydney
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 3, 2009

Stayed here in April, got a room a the end of hallway.
The king bed was huge and comfy - got great sleep.
The TV was small - not flat screen.
I loved the bathroom, it was large, very clean and shining.
But the thing I liked the most is the bathroom has a ceiling to floor glass.
Well you can see the cars on the highway, buildings - whenever you are in the bathroom.
I was bit worry if they can see me doing ... hmmm ... you know what I mean ...
There was also a scale in the bathroom but no toothbrush or toothpaste. You have to buy it, around $3 - $4.

I love the location, whenever I get hungry at night I can go to the restaurant sor food court in the casino. The dumpling at a chinese shop in the food court was delicious.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank SydneyPilot
Valletta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2009

Fantastic hotel. The bedroom was very big and had the most comfortable king size bed I've ever slept in. High level of cleanliness. Bathroom spacious. Loads of light and fantastic views. Casino, shopping, restaurants, bars and a food court next door. The only thing is that the in-room Internet connection you have to pay for and it was about $25 (not completely sure). Overall a great and comfortable stay. Highly recommended.

• Stayed January 2009, traveled as a couple
Warrnambool
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 7, 2009

The service was fantastic and fast, l loved the valet parking, it was great value for money, and has secure air bridge to Crown Cassino. We loved our stay and the staff, well done. We would never stay anywhere else, ever - cheers Glenda Levett

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with family
Perth - Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 6, 2009

Travelling in a group of three, our planning for this weekend away began in January. Through TripAdvisor, numerous searches for the right hotel/apartment accommodation were undertaken when on a day of searching I stumbled upon the Crown Promenade Hotel.

Using the TripAdvisor links, I was able to check accommodation rates and was was absolutely blown out of the water with an offer through Hotel.com. that I felt was far too true to be correct. Hence a booking was quickly made and confirmed.

Long story short - the Crown Promenade Hotel staff upon arrival were great. They treated you with care and respect and explained all the processes in and around the complex. They ensured that your stay with them was going to be well remembered. In addition to the great serivce, we received a free daily morning paper, two complementary bottles of wine and a $35 tab on the mini bar...how fantastic is that?

We had booked a "triple room" and were guessing that we were to be confronted with three single beds, however we were delighted to have the standard two queen beds in a very clean and comfortable sized room.

The minibar was ample in selection and quantity. The size of the bathroom was excellent - as I was so often reminded by my partner and her travelling buddy. Foxtel channels together with local free to air television were available.

Overall, this Hotel is recommended for all travellers to Melbourne. It's location is a short stroll over the Yarra River into the City and all the attractions and the trams only a minute from the door.

Friendly staff, clean, comfortable rooms are all part of a return visit.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple