New! Find and book your ideal hotel on TripAdvisor — and get the lowest prices

Ranked #23 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
Melbourne, Australia
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

We recently stayed 1 night check in staff were most helpful our room was ready early which was fantastic.
Very comfortable beds and clean room.
We asked for some extra glasses as we had 4 adults in the room, no problem promptly had them to our door
Check out fantastic would highly recommend this hotel

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank Cherrie M

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (481)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Upon receiving a gift certificate for a nights accommodation for my birthday, I decided to make a luxurious de-stress veg-out weekend of it and pay for a second. The intention was to order room service and watch movies with a do not disturb sign for two whole days! Josh in reservations amazingly helpful in making this happen.

Upon arrival, the valet was helpful. Check-in staff on the other hand were rude, uninviting, disengaging and yet they are the faces of an otherwise decent hotel where myself and other family members have stayed before for work purposes.

How hard is it to make eye contact and say "I won't be a moment" before finalising the previous transaction without leaving other guests in a line feeling unwelcome and uncomfortable?;
To say "hello, how are you?" with genuine interest rather than having yours guests stand in front of the desk like stunned mullets and having to initiate the conversation themselves?;
To accommodate guests rather than make them feel at fault and embarassed for banking with the wrong bank or not having enough credit cards when there is an issue with the banking systems and offer a room "but you won't be able to charge anything to it until we verify your details tomorrow' am I to starve on my seemingly not so luxurious de-stress veg-out weekend?

All of the above was experienced today which may have been avoided if your staff member had communicated that the hotel was experiencing difficulties with my preferred banking partner prior to me transferring all monies to the VISA which I did in front of her (I could have paid eftpos). There are certainly better methods in handling these situations and I was most unimpressed on how the check-in agent, the duty manager, and absolutely disgusted with the actions of the front office manager.

Not open to being treated as second-rate, I packed up and drove home with no real motivation to re-book.

Promenade, you're check-in staff are lacking the basic courtesies and interpersonal skills expected in a hotel of your calibre. I've stayed in better hotels worldwide and yet couldn't even get through the doors of yours and am hesitant to roll up again - I would much rather cross the road to towers where the service is faultless end-to-end. Perhaps it may be an idea to ship some of your check-in staff over also to re-cap on some basic training.

Would anyone like a gift certificate?

• Stayed February 2013
3 Thank Michp01
Greg M, General Manager at Crown Promenade Melbourne, responded to this review, February 11, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to review our hotel.

I was concerned to learn of your experience which is certainly not characteristic of the service provided by our team. As we discussed with you unfortunately when you arrived at the hotel we required a bond for the room which I understand caused some discussion with our staff. I’m sorry if we didn't clearly explain the options available to you for payment of the bond, including withdrawing cash from the ATM which is located in the lobby.

I notice you have re-booked for March and we will ensure you have a more positive experience. Please do not hesitate to contact us on (03) 9292 8160 at your convenience so we can discuss this in more detail.

Kind regards,

Greg Moore
Crown Promenade
Shanghai, China
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013 via mobile

Stayed for three nights and was impressed by ability to give me an early check in .i had to pay a bit extra for the room but the view from my corner room was worth it. Breakfast room was a bit of a barn and service a bit hit or miss. Other hotel staff were pleasant but the hotel does seem to be heavily weighted toward the hordes visiting the casino. Another downside was the cost of wifi which was extortionate

Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank jock1957
Geelong, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

We stayed here in December and it was our second visit. I just love this hotel! The beds are king sized and superbly comfortable, the pillows to die for and the linen is perfect. I found out on checkout that all can be purchased online! Those pillows can't come soon enough! All this means you have a perfect night's rest. I particularly like the day bed which lies along the huge picture window which overlooks the city. The rooms are very clean and the bathrooms are well maintained. We never dine here so I can't comment. The position is great. The hotel links into the casino on the second floor via a fairly private walkway. Within the Casino and along the Southbank Boulevard are a huge selection of restaurants and if you don't mind a bit of a hike, forget the stilettos, you can continue over the road into another large dining precinct. This also joins up with the Performing Arts Centre and then if you cross the bridge you have Federation Square with a wonderful collection by some of Australia's greatest artists and more restaurants.
If you have more energy you can head into the heart of Melbourne with it's funky lane ways and many quirky eating places serving sensational food of every cuisine. I love Melbourne! The swimming pool at Crown Promenade is glorious! I had the pool to myself and it over looks this magnificent city! So much to do and see in Melbourne. Book a show if you have advance knowledge of a visit. I forgot to mention that there is quite a good craft market winding around the theatres during the day on weekends. Quality reminders of your visit to Melbourne!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Savoy88
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Centrally situated on the Southbank and handy for most attractions especially using the free city circle tram. Room and leisure facilities are of a very high standard. The hotel is part of a huge entertainment complex including extensive casino facilities. On arrival we were given directions to the city using an internal walkway which took you into the casino. Some may find this off-putting however this can be avoided by exiting via the hotel lobby. Overall a good choice.

Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Lily136
Aylesbury
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 3, 2013

We arrived quite late in the evening from New Zealand feeling tired, I asked for a good room and my wish was certainly granted. Magnificent views. Comfortable bed, powerful shower. Staff on front desk were very helpful. In the morning we tried to use the ATM in the foyer which swallowed our card, only to be told that it was not the property of the hotel, though they did try to contact the company for us.

Room Tip: Ask! It worked for us.