“Modern and Clean”

Ranked #26 of 160 Hotels in Melbourne
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed April 5, 2008

We stayed for one night for our Wedding Anniversary,
the room was very clean and the bathroom had a nice big frameless shower and the amenities were very nice.

I didn't find the room to be that big compared to other standard hotel rooms but I guess I might be a little fussy.

The bed mattress was soft and was worried I would wake up with a sore back but surprisingly I didn't.

We swam in the pool and had it to ourselves we did find a couple of cigarette butts in the pool but the pool was lovely and warm, the spa was out of order and not working.

The Buffet was fantastic with plenty of variety eggs cooked to your liking, really fresh crossiants, pastrys, breads, fresh fruit and yoghurt and plenty of coffee.....

Otherwise a great stay but wouldn't stay too often because it cost more than we would normally spend.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank busybeemk
There are newer reviews for Crown Promenade Melbourne

Reviewed March 30, 2008

Arrived early and the room wasn't ready (we didn't expect it would be), but straight away were offered the shower facilities at the gym if we wanted to freshen up (lovely after a 24 hr flight from London).
Spent the afternoon having beers on the pool deck in the sun!!
Great gym, pool and deck.
Rooms were great. Nice to have a hairdryer that is of salon quality and not stuck to the wall.
Choice at buffet breakfast was superb. Very helpful attentive staff. Concierge was able to answer all our questions! Exceptionally polite reception staff, who gave us the option of settling the bill in ££.
Will stay again (in fact we did return before the end of our trip)!

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Emma U
Reviewed March 21, 2008

I stayed here for a girls weekend with my sister and had done a lot of Trip Advisor research before I went. We managed to secure a twin room with river views thanks to a last minute cancellation and we weren't disappointed. The rooms were luxurious, the pillows amazing (I tried to buy some for a cool $200 each from the hotel). tUnfortunately there was a mixup with the price - i think we may have been under quoted, but after a bit of faffing they happily sorted it for us. The views from our room were amazing with wall to ceiling windows, the location is awesome in terms of access to the river front, restaurants and all the vibe it offers and only 15 mins from the main shopping area, although i live in Sydney and was pretty underwhelmed by the shopping here. Also word of warning, don't go down Chapel Street on a Sunday morning- totally dead apart from the drugged out day clubbers opposite the cafe where we had sublime corn fritters with entertaining viewing with our dining!

Go The Crown Promenade - worth all it's stars!!!

• Stayed: November 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank Boyos
Reviewed March 20, 2008

What else can I say? The nicest (and largest) standard hotel room I have stayed in in Australia, with the most comfy bed. Great location only 5 minutes walk through the casino to the tram stop. Room 1776 had great views across the city to the water - gorgeous! Would never stay anywhere else in Melbourne.

Stayed: March 2008
1  Thank Tickentash
Reviewed March 20, 2008

I stayed here for 4 nights on my own, I actually booked 5 nights as I had an early arrival from UK, the hotel gave me an excellent deal on the additional night. The rooms are very comfortable, lovely view (albeit across 2 freeways which seem to be everywhere in Melbourne) towards Port Phillip Bay.
I picked this location as I was on my own, the choice of restaurants around this area was fabulous so I did not have to venture out into the city of an evening on my own. Plus the casino was great for an early evening drink - always full of people playing the 'pokies' - slot machines to us!
I had a room service snack on one evening and it was fine - excellent steak in the sandwich, which is unusual. Staff very friendly and helpful.
I won't be staying again, unfortunately, as Australia is too far away for another visit - but it was great to see again after 38 years! Melbourne is unbelievable now, so huge and the river Yarra area very well developed - plus I was there for the Chinese New Year, so entertainment was everywhere in the streets. All in all, a great stay.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled solo
1  Thank BYRONIC
Reviewed March 14, 2008

We stayed here as part of our honeymoon trip around Australia. On arrival we checked in to our room on the twenty fifth floor, where we had a large room with great city views. Although we asked on check in for a non smoking room, we were given a smoking one, which did smell of smoke, but this didn't bother us too much. The rooms are great - with a huge bed, a great double shower and a lovely standard of furnishing throughout.

The hotel is part of an entertainment complex which has a number of great restaurants, so it is easy to eat out when you are staying there. The pool and gym are also really nice and we visited them frequently.

Would definitely reccommend this great new hotel!

Stayed: February 2008
1  Thank DeeMooner
Reviewed February 26, 2008

I stayed for 2 nights as part of a weekend getaway and this hotel made for the perfect place to crash after enjoying all Melbourne has to offer.

The hotel has great facilities. You will find restaurants and cafes available, although I preferred to venture out and sample Melbourne's great restaurants and cafe lifestyle. There is also a fitness centre with a lap pool and a small gym. It can get quite crowded in both the pool and gym if you go at the wrong time, as both are quite small for a hotel of this level. There is direct access to the casino on level 1, which may not be good for the addicted gambler.

The room itself is fabulous. Space is not an issue, with a desk, a lounge, coffee table and a king size bed all comfortably fitting into the room. With floor to ceiling windows, I was able to enjoy the view of South Bank from the comforts of my lounge chair. I found the bathroom to be equally spacious, with the shower large enough for four people at once (if you're into that sort of thing). As expected, quality bathroom amenities are supplied and refilled on a daily basis. Overall, the room is spotlessly clean and tastefully decorated, with everything you would need for a comfortable night's rest. Most importantly, the king size bed is a true king size bed, rather than 2 singles pushed together. This definitely made for a good night's sleep.

Staff here are all professional and helpful. You will find them to be most attentive to your needs, even if they may not have all the answers. They sincerely attempt to help you in every way they can.

The hotel is conveniently located in South Bank. It is a short stroll to Flinders St station, making for an enjoyable stroll into the city. If a tram is more your liking, tram 55 stops just outside the hotel and can take you to the city area, although you may need to change trams to get right into the heart of the city.

Overall, the hotel has all that you would expect from a 4 star hotel. The public areas and the rooms give the feeling of a well maintained and modern hotel. The only thing I would've liked to have seen is wireless internet in the room. This would've made it perfect to use the internet whilst soaking up the views from the comfort of the lounge, especially since I had to do a few hours of work during my stay.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled with family