“Light Lunch and Dinner on the same day!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Captain Melville

Captain Melville
Ranked #550 of 4,058 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Bar, Pub, Australian, Gastropub
Good for: Bar scene, Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Brunch, Outdoor Seating, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Largs, United Kingdom
“Light Lunch and Dinner on the same day!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 14, 2014

We were very taken by the light lunch we had and later went back for dinner. We were disappointed with nothing - wine, food, or service - all were excellent. We really enjoyed ourselves and would go back again / recommend.

• Visited February 2014

Melbourne
“Captain Melville was fine, but I don't think I'll visit again”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 17, 2014

Captain Melville is really not a place for couples. It might work better with a large group, but the noise levels, the way the long bench style tables are set (with couples sitting opposite one another, about a metre apart), the music and the relatively friendly, but haphazard service, just made it not the best pub experience.

I get the whole "lots of noise makes creates a great buzz" idea, but I'm not sure the medium to high pricing really matches the vibe. I was actually quite exhausted after I left, and the level of noise meant that I didn't order another drink, nor stick around for additional courses (which probably would have gotten them another $50 or so out of us).

I may not be the target market. It is in a backpacker area, although I think the backpackers tend to be in the pub area, rather than the restaurant. I guess I'm not saying that they shouldn't have music, but combined with all the hard surfaces, the music and the noise was just a bit too overwhelming for me.

• Visited January 2014
“Great service”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 11, 2014 via mobile

I has been telling my friends about a great pub I had been to for a while now, and during the end of the Christmas break we were a free to catch up on a Saturday night. Although the night got off to a rocky start, we were very impressed with the service staff, and the food was magnificent as usual. The quinoa salad was delish, and the unexpected desserts were yummo!

Melbourne, Australia
“Marvellous meals at Melville's”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 8, 2014

My family recently dined at Captain Melville's for a birthday celebration. We ordered starters and mains. We loved the food, the chicken parma I had was the best I've ever eaten.
We were there on a Friday night, so it was quite noisy.
The service provided by the blond male waiter was excellent!

• Visited December 2013