“Perfect Apartments”

Birches Serviced Apartments
Ranked #42 of 155 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Reviewed September 16, 2008

Very comfortable and in superb location of Melbourne, friendly and welcoming staff – and so pleased our dog could stay too!

Have stayed with at Birches Serviced Apartments 5 times now and plan to again each time for my annual visit. Thank you!

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
2  Thank blukav

Reviewed October 12, 2007

We stayed at Birches for 7 days while our house was being renovated. The hotel was very basic and did not feel clean. It is an old apartment building converted cheaply into a hotel. It was very noisy, the rooms were serviced badly and the bathroom was old and basic. It was not a comfortable and relaxing place to stay at all. The service staff did not clean dishes and the whole room was often barely cleaned. Though advertised as pet friendly there was rat bait under the kitchen sink that I was not informed about until I found my cat sniffing it.
The worst thing about Birches is the staff. They are incredibly rude and were even abusive when informed I would be leaving halfway through my planned stay because I was unhappy with the service. I cannot believe they are in the service industry and I have never had such an aggressive response to making a complaint.
I was very disappointed in their service and would strongly recommend that you do not book a stay at this hotel unless you are looking for very basic (2-3 star feel) accommodation.

• Stayed: October 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank slynch5
birches1, Manager at Birches Serviced Apartments, responded to this reviewResponded September 4, 2012

Dear Sir/Madam,

Further to your stay in 2007, we would like to inform you that the new management of Birches Serviced Apartments have conducted some renovations in 2011 and again in 2012. The apartments have been refurbished and are in no means as you portray it. Some of the works which we have carried out are: new awnings, new carpets and new sofa beds. The property is definitely well maintained. Please feel free to pay us a visit to experience the difference.

Reviewed September 15, 2007

When planning a Melbourne trip for a friend & myself I did a LOT of research, looking for a place that was affordable for the both of us, yet was comfortable. I found it!

The price is pretty much average for a 1 bedroom apartment, the plus was the free, secure parking.

We stayed in a twin, one bedroom apartment for 5 nights. The apartment had a fully equipped kitchenette/dining area combined with the lounge room.

It was very clean & comfortable. The apartment looks exactly like the pictures on the website. We felt at home & not like we were staying at a motel.

I would definitely stay here again should I find myself in Melbourne in the future.

Hope this review helps. :)

Read on if you are after more detail......

--------------------------------

LIVING ROOM

A recent reviewer said the LCD TV was small, this was one thing I thought as soon as I walked in too, but it was perfect for our needs. We watched TV & DVDs & felt completely at home.

One thing that was a disappointment was that there was only 1 general interest Foxtel channel (Arena) but in the scheme of things, I guess we didn't go there to sit and watch cable TV.

The couches were comfortable & the living area was well lit & was flooded with sunlight in the morning - I love this.

The windows were huge. There were sturdy curtains to cover the windows for darkness or privacy if desired, we closed them at night.

BEDROOM

The bedroom was seperated from the living room with a wall divider with a door length gap at the end. There were 2 blankets on the bed, and a couple in the cupboard. We used the air-con heater sleep function at night & were completely warm. The beds
were very comfortable.

BATHROOM

The bathroom did show some age but was quite clean & usable. I didn't notice any smells (mentioned by a previous reviewer). It surprised me that they do not have an exhaust fan as this would probably lead to lots of frequent cleaning for them, but it didn't bother me - the window had enough ventilation, we just left the venitian blind up. The bath/shower was comfortable.

NOISE

There was noise occasionally, as you would expect, but it was nothing that really bothered us. Mostly guests coming & going. Once or twice one evening we heard footsteps from the room above us but it wouldn't have been enough to wake us up if we were sleeping.

There was a bit of traffic outside during the weekday mornings (ppl going to work I presume) but again, not enough to wake us up. The windows were double glassed so once you close them any noises outside are muted if not eliminated.

LOCATION

Birches was about 3 moderate blocks away from the City, so it's about a 15 to 20 minute walk if you choose to walk. The walk back is a bit easier as it's downhill. We would alternate walking through Fitzroy Gardens - beautiful -, walking straight up Albert St or up Victoria Parade.

There is a Tram stop about 1 and a half minutes away, right across the road which was fantastic on the days we didnt feel like walking to the City or back.

We purchased the tickets at a newsagent in the City but you can buy them right on the tram if you have change. It's a good idea just to buy a couple in the city to keep in your pocket & use when you feel like getting back quickly (eg when we got takeaway from the city - we got back to the apartment on the tram & it was still hot!).

PARKING

The parking was free! You need to put in a code to drive into the parking area. It was a relief to not park on the street, or pay a daily fee for parking. The parking spots were quite close together (angle parking) and I did worry once or twice about careless people parking too closely but all was OK.

STAFF

We didn't really have many encounters with the staff other than checking in, checking out & getting a couple of extra towels. They were always very nice & helped with any questions we had.

GENERAL INFO

Another reviewer mentions that there were no elevators, in my experience they arent nessesary here - there are only 3 floors of apartments & it was quite easy for us to bring our luggage up to the 2nd floor.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled with friends
5  Thank KeLStrr
Reviewed September 3, 2007

Just returned from a short stay in Melboune..... this is actually an old type block of units transferred into apartment accommodation. No lifts, and carrying two massive suitcases was a nightmare to get up and down... the bathroom was very old and there was this distinct BAD smell coming from the bathroom the whole stay, was not nice! The bed was so uncomfortable, no proper doona - just blankets. It was freezing, the heater was located in the lounge area and that had to be kept on all night with inside doors open to stay warm at night. The kitchen was 'just' a kitchen, no mini bar and there was an 'ant' problem... couldnt keep rubbish in the bin overnight - ants would invade! The lounge area, was okay - the lounges were uncomfortable and old... the tv sure it was a flat screen - but was tiny. The traffic was loud and heard from the bedroom... no trams or public transport close by.... about half an hour walk into the city hub. and the nearest supermarket was about a 5 mins walk away..... not the best place to stay if you do not have a vechile as Melb weather is not always reliable .... we were both so tired from working OS previous that we just wanted to relax - and felt we could not do that here..... it is advertised on the road signs it is 4* - it is most definatly not. I would only recommend for budget accommodation stayers - that want extra room and dont want to be in the hub of the city.

I wish i knew all this before we stayed there - but ah well now..... '

Im writing this as honest feedback to others that may consider this accommodation.... it is worth paying the extra $30-40 per night in Melb city to have a comfortable, secure stay...

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Minky_Adel
Reviewed April 18, 2007

Had really good time in Melbourne and at Birches apartment during Grad prix. Apartments was clean, staff was very nice. Very reasonably priced.

• Stayed: April 2007, traveled on business
Reviewed December 12, 2006

Stayed for 3 days, will never stay there again, rude staff, room was not clean when we checked in, even though we had been told it was ready, then took 3 hours for the room to be cleaned, upon check out, counter staff attempted to over charge us, and then made out like it was our fault that we had not stayed in the 2 bed room appartments that they were attempting to charge us for, we had stayed in the 1 bedroom appartments.

My recomendation is find somewhere else, this is not worth the bother.

• Stayed: November 2006, traveled as a couple