“Awesome porridge”

Ranked #242 of 4,330 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Cafe
Dining options: Breakfast
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: Hip spot for coffee roasted on-site, plus cakes, mini pies, and light meals in a smart, simple cafe.
Reviewed November 3, 2013

Stayed at the Oaks on William next door and just wanted a quick breakfast but am a foodie so was a bit wary of just going to the cafe next door and using the 10% discount the hotel offered. But wow, was I glad I did. This cafe has great coffee, loads of fresh made breads and a great cook. Highly, highly recommend the porridge. It was thick, flavorful and loaded with fresh ingredients. I've never had some tasty and hearty porridge before. A real treat. Also had eggs on toast, an Aussie favorite and it was perfectly cooked. I will definitely be back. Loved it.

Reviewed October 26, 2013

Really enjoyed the breakfast I had at Brother Thomas - Smashed Avocado and Fetta on toast. The food is very tasty and the coffee is great. Good sized place with a nice modern decor. Very convenient for those staying next door at The Oaks. I only wish it was open later.

1  Thank Leena F
Reviewed October 22, 2013

This little cafe is off the foyer of a new hotel , the Oaks on William. I wondered it it could possibly be any good......the only restaurant.....so convenient....so close....could it be worthy...? YES...it's wonderful! Tired and hungry, I checked in to the Oaks, ditched my bag and dashed back to the cafe off the foyer. Close to closing time, few customers, most of the fare had been eaten. I ordered coffee and a quiche. Delicious. Coffee is without fault, and the quiche very interesting and quite delicious. I went back there for breakfast and had a lovely meal that arrived at my table hot. Sparkling water served in carafes, what a bonus! Added to that, the place is new, clean, and roomy, enough room to have my bag there as I was then off to catch a train. I'll be back.

1  Thank Paula M
Reviewed October 14, 2013 via mobile

A new business that will go far. Great coffee (I believe roasted themselves) and nice fresh food for our breakfast stop. Quiet, comfortable and modern, a great place to escape from the wind and busy streets! Awesome staff.

Reviewed October 3, 2013

We were staying at the oaks and had a good coffee here well worth a try if passing by and need a hit