“Clean, efficient, excellent location”

ibis Melbourne Swanston Street Hotel
Ranked #99 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed July 6, 2014

Everything in this hotel is new and clean. It was excellent value (I think I averaged $80/night for 5 nights). However, remember that everything costs extra (towels, TV, Internet). I had these things included in my special (no breakfast).

You can catch a tram about 50m down the road that will take you to the centre of the city in about 5 minutes. Trams run along this road every 1-4 minutes until late at night. It's a couple of blocks over from the Italian restaurants along Lygon St.

My only complaint was that the air-conditioner temperature control was broken and it kept the room at about 24C. This is a nice temperature but it means that you have to take off layers of clothes (it was about 12C max outside when I stayed). They offered to move me to another room but I decided it was too much trouble to move. As compensation they gave me free storage of my luggage after checkout (normally charge a fee).

Overall, the hotel was very good value for the price.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Robert G
NathanCopsey, General Manager at ibis Melbourne Swanston Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 8, 2014

Hi Robert G,

Thanks so much for your review. Glad you enjoyed the value we offer!

Sorry to hear about the air con, This was noted by our Front Desk Team and has been rectified.

Hope to see you again soon

Reviewed July 3, 2014

It's a plane? No. It's a bird? No. It's Superman? No. It's TUNE HOTEL MELBOURNE!

They saved my pocket from being burnt, literally and figuratively. Cheap but packed with goodness from the moment you enter into the building. Although decorations are kept to minimal, they did not compromise on the bed, amenities and ESPECIALLY, their signature power shower. After a long flight from Kuala Lumpur, the first thing you will crave for is probably a good shower and TUNE HOTEL MELBOURNE did not disappoint.

After a good shower, you might wanna grab a quick nap before hitting around the city. The bed might be smaller than those of the average but they certainly did not compromise on the comfort. Double thumbs up to everything within the room. Couldn't ask for anything better within the price range.

Now on the location, I will give Mark Lancaster and the TUNE team a pat on the back because TUNE HOTEL MELBOURNE is located at such a strategic point that literally if you try to throw a stone with all your might, you might just hit the CBD. It is that near! Like if you run, you will probably reach the city in say... 20 seconds? It's so near to the city and it's so easy to access anywhere and everywhere. Tram access is approximately 2 minutes of walk from your doorstep and if you need to grab some stuffs, 7-Eleven is just 3 minutes walk or less away (don't forget to grab a cup of hot chocolate at just 2 dollars!).

I won't spoil further about the hotel. Go and experience it yourself. If you didn't at least try a night in TUNE HOTEL MELBOURNE, mark my words, you will regret it, especially if you're a budget traveller.

Nothing less than 5 stars to them and kudos to the team for the hospitality. If I ever go back to Melbourne again, I won't choose anything other than TUNE HOTEL MELBOURNE. Period.

Room Tip: Don't have to worry about the noise from the tram; the rooms are adequately protected from noise...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank andy_koay
NathanCopsey, General Manager at ibis Melbourne Swanston Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 6, 2014

Hi andy_koay,

Well what a fantastic review you have left us! We are so glad we could add to your Melbourne experience. How good are those power showers?!!

Glad you enjoyed our convenient location as well, so easy to get around!

Myself and the team can't wait to welcome you back here :)

Reviewed June 30, 2014

The hotel was in a fantastic location, we practically walked everywhere or took the free tram located on Lygon/Swanston St stop. It's a great little space for those that only need a hotel room to sleep, rather than spend a lot of time in. The beds were amazingly comfortable, and the shower exceptional! The staff I spoke to were very friendly and helpful. Overall Tune Hotel suited our 3 night getaway to Melbourne, I will definitely be back in the near future!

Room Tip: Our room was street view twin room on the third floor. We stayed from Thursday to Sunday (a total of...
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled with friends
4  Thank Emily K
NathanCopsey, General Manager at ibis Melbourne Swanston Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 30, 2014

Hi Emily K,

Thanks for your kind words! We are so happy we helped make your holiday experience even better, that's what we love to hear!

Hope to see you back with us again soon

Reviewed June 26, 2014

A great little well priced hotel in Swanston Street, approximately 5 minute walk to CBD, 5 Minutes to Lygon, Victoria Markets and free city circle tram. Walking distance to MCG and Etihad allow minimum of 30 minutes, or catch tram that runs past hotel.
Service excellent, check in all handled efficiently. Room on 3rd floor was quiet, very clean, small but functional, would recommend for single persons staying or couple short stay.
There are several packages for your stay. Basically you pay extra for add ons such as tv, wifi etc. Café onsite. Excellent value for money but would recommend booking early to get best prices through Expedia.

Room Tip: Take extra coat hangers. Great for single people.
  • Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank shazhunter
NathanCopsey, General Manager at ibis Melbourne Swanston Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 26, 2014

Hi shazhunter,

Thanks so much for your review. We love hearing all the feedback from our guests.

Glad to hear you enjoyed our location and value, 2 of our key values!

Hope to see you at one of Tune properties again soon

Reviewed June 25, 2014

Pros:
- Friendly staff
- Hotel is well located
- Clean room
- New hotel
- Free Wifi
- Laundry room available

Cons:
- Small room
- Had to pay for early check in

Overall, we had a comfortable stay at the hotel

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled as a couple

Hi Shimal S.

Thanks for taking the time to review us, we do appreciate all the feedback!

Early Check in is one of the extra's we offer through our concept. As we say though, you're more than welcome to go and explore our great city and come back and check in at 2pm.

Hope to see you again soon

Reviewed June 25, 2014

Great location, easy walk down Swanston to get to the main areas of Flinders street and Federation Square, was roughly half an hour walk to south bank, also really easy to walk to Queen Victoria market about 10 minutes away. Easy access to the trams, there's a stop about half a block away, there's a stop for the airport shuttle on the opposite corner and I only took this out bound which I booked with he reception desk at no charge.

The room itself was small but perfectly functional, I travelled alone and it was just fine but I think with 2 people and 2 suitcases it would be really cramped - especially as there's only 4 hangers and no where to put a second suitcase.

I like the fact that you can choose what you want to pay for, if you're only staying for 1 night its a great way to save - I spent a week there and had the comfort package which was internet, TV and towels - I did however expect the towels would've been changed at least once during a 7 night stay?

I used the laundry at the hotel which is really hand when travelling, it was $6 to was and for 40 mins drying which in my opinion is expensive.

I didn't try the coffee bar but there always seemed to be a few people there.

Overall a great experience and I wouldn't hesitate to recommend.

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank Helen T
NathanCopsey, General Manager at ibis Melbourne Swanston Street Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 25, 2014

Hi HelenFromUK T,

Thanks so much for your review. Glad you enjoyed your stay with us and embraced the concept.

In regards to the towels, you can pick fresh ones up at the desk any time you want if you have them in your package every night. As not everyone does buy the towels we don't replace them in your room. I will brief my staff to make sure they are explaining this to everyone at front desk when they check in, which should be the case. There is also plenty of room under your bed for your suitcases too!

Hope to see you again at one of our properties!

Reviewed June 24, 2014

My husband and I stayed at Tune over three nights.
We checked in at 12.30am in the morning and was greeted with a friendly man at reception, I'm a light sleeper so when we got into our room and realized it was on the tram line side of the hotel I was disappointed but very surprisingly despite other reviews I found the double glazing really blocked out the road noise, that and the super comfortable bed equalled a great nights sleep.

It's in a great location, walking distance to the Vic markets, & a very short tram into the mall or you could easily walk it.

Some reviews mention that there isn't any bag room but there is heaps under the bed & on the desk or on the fold out luggage thing. We didn't find the room cramped at all.

The shower - awesome!

My only negative is that there is only one power point which is in the bedroom so when I wanted to use my hair straightener I had to stand on the bed to use the mirror haha
A power point(even single) in the bathroom would have made our stay perfect.

Thanks Tune - we will definitely be back!

• Stayed: June 2014
1  Thank TasCouple

Hi TasCouple,

Thanks so much for your kind words! Glad we could help you out with your accomodaiton needs.

I will pass the feedback onto my nights team and make sure they hear it :)

Can't wait to see you again at Tune Melbourne