“Excellent Value for your Buck !”

Ibis Melbourne Swanston Street
Ranked #87 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“Excellent Value for your Buck !”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

True to their business model - Five Star Beds with no frills amenities in the hotel.
Check in staff were very friendly and helpful.
Booking online was easy, but requires a bit more explaining when selecting fringe benefits ie internet for 24 hours x 2 days. TV was literally switched off after 24hours.
I give Sleep Comfort Factor about 8/10
Highly Recommended for people who spend little time in their hotel rooms
and appreciate a good night sleep

PS: Tune .. Please keep it up !

Room Tip: Rooms away from the lifts are less noisy. TV literally shuts down after 24hours. Requires a bit of t...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
NathanCopsey, General Manager at Ibis Melbourne Swanston Street, responded to this review, January 7, 2014
Hi Bluemonkey07,

Thanks for your review and feedback on our staff and facilities. We are glad you enjoyed your stay and can't wait to welcome you back. We will certainly "keep it up"

Regards

Nathan Copsey

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (186)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Thai first
Tasmania
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

I stayed here for two nights during December in room 404. Upon arriving at the front desk my first request was for a quiet room away from the noise of the elevator. Room 404 was the best they could do at the time, and was located towards the back of the building, looking onto the courtyard. I realised soon after that the fire station was located not far away...and was very loud. Luckily this did not keep me awake at night - I don't know if this was because there were no call outs or if the glazing was excellent.

The only extra I ordered for my stay was a toiletries pack, which I was handed in a re-usable carry bag at reception. It contained a white towel, shampoo (which I did not use) and a small bar of soap, which was lovely and frothy but very, very drying on my skin.

The room was small, but more than adequate, but I wouldn't like to be a second person sleeping in the bed - very small amount of room on one side. I liked that the beadhead was foam, it was nice and soft. The pillows were adequate but nothing to write home about. I appreciated the luggage rack. To my surprise, the room had a opening window! Fresh air, hooray. The sink in the bathroom was also huge, and had more than enough room to re-fill my 1 litre water bottle. I found the shower head also excellent, it did a great job of disguising what was obviously low water pressure - although the tap in the sink seemed to suffer from too much pressure if you turned it on all the way. I liked that there were lots of lights - directly inside the door, main, bathroom, desk lamp as well as a switch on the other side of the bed for a reading light across the top of the bedhead and one for the main light too.

On my return to the room on the second day of my stay, I was surprised to discover that housekeeping had visited. The bed was made (sheets not changed), floor swept, toilet and sink cleaned (same towel). This was a rather nice surprise considering I did not pay for housekeeping.

The main problem I had was a housekeeping one. Upon my arrival I noticed there was hair in the shower drain. When I took my first shower I noticed tiny bits of the last occupant's shower products on the shower wall. When I checked out I told reception and they were very apologetic, and double checked my room number so it could be sorted. I hope it was. For the duration of my stay I also found the hallway carpet to be quite messy - needed a vacuum and had a lot of muddy footprints.

The room was reasonably quiet. I could hear a lot of hallway noise - people talking and doors closing but I find you get that at most hotels. Lucky for me it didn't happen too often. As for outside noise with the window closed, I really didn't hear anything.

Overall I found it a decent hotel. I will be staying again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank Melbournefan
NathanCopsey, General Manager at Ibis Melbourne Swanston Street, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
HI Melbournefan,

Thanks for your review.

The glazing on the windows is something we really concentrated hard on so that definitely keeps any external noise to a minimum.

Housekeeping will visit your room everyday (except Sunday's) and tidy the room. They change the sheets after the second night. I was made aware of your room number by my reception staff and have investigates with Housekeeping.

Melbourne
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

Great location, Great value. Our room was at the back and was very quiet. Beds are comfortable and room was very clean. Staff were very friendly and helpful. If you are looking for somewhere central to sleep and don't need the extras, this hotel is worth a chance. Will definitely be back, thank you Tune Hotels.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends
Hi Martinoaus,

Thanks for your review. We appreciate your comments. We certainly are very central! We are glad you enjoyed your stay and look forward to seeing you again.

Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

Great value for $. Have stayed often mid-week. Rooms are always clean with great bed and cotton linen! Bathroom is generous with large shower. And there is an opening window for natural ventilation!! Rooms towards the rear of the complex can be disturbed by the emergency services dispatch service located on the adjacent rear block, (i.e.fire and ambulance). However, I sleep with window open, and quickly became accustomed to this! Overall, a great budget stay on the edge of the CBD.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
Hi Jamed58,

Thanks for your review. We are glad you had a comfortable stay.

We hope to see you again soon.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 12, 2013

Shower has low water pressure. Staying here on 13 Dec, advised reception and they really didn't care. Other ppl on level two have the same issue. Otherwise the room is okay except for no fridge in the room.

• Stayed December 2013
Hi Tripausdude,

Thanks for your review. I'm sorry to hear about the issue with the water pressure. If you could email your room number through to frontdesk@melbourne.tunehotels.com I will ensure Maintenance looks into it.

Subang Jaya, Malaysia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 10, 2013

Stayed at Tune Hotels @ Swanston Street, Melbourne for 5 nights with my parents during my trip to Melbourne. The location is GREAT, just within walking distance from Queen Victoria Market, RMIT and the shops and eateries along Swanston Street and the State Library of Victoria.

We arrived at the hotel early but we were not able to check in early unless we pay AUD 22 (standard practice at other Tune Hotels for early check-in's before 2pm). We decided to wait it out for about an hour and a half before the front desk started to check other waiting guests in.

They also have two small common areas on the ground floor which can be used as a small gathering place for friends - one indoor beside the computers with Internet access (not sure if it was free, but I think a fee is applicable) and another courtyard outdoor which was nice as well.

The room was small and cozy, true to the nature of other Tune Hotels. The bed is comfy and the sheets feel somewhat luxurious (we got a queen bed on the fifth floor). There is a small table (with a table lamp) to the side of the bed, sufficient for doing some work on a laptop if required. 2 power sockets on the wall (one of which is used for the table lamp). The room window can be opened slightly to allow some fresh air in.

The bathroom is small, but still ok with a separate shower enclosure (which was definitely better than shower curtains). The water pressure was good, so no complains there. Actually the bathroom was better than expected. A hairdryer is also located in the washroom.

There is a safe in our room (located below the bed) which was accidentally locked when my bro was operating the safe (there were no instructions on how to operate the safe, and being on the floor it would be hard to read anyway). The TV with a wide range of channels are mounted on the wall. There is no wardrobe/cupboard in the room - just a set of hangers mounted on the wall railing to hang a couple of shirts/jackets.

Maybe being new the housekeeping wasn't as regular as expected - the bed in my parent's room weren't made on the second day but mine was. On some days the floors were not vacuumed. The bathroom mats weren't replaced daily unless we notified the housekeeping staff. And NO housekeeping services were available on Sunday!

There are coin-operated washing machines and dryers located on the ground floor. To wash a load it will cost AUD 4, and you can buy your detergent from the front desk at AUD 1 per packet. The dryers are AUD 1 per cycle/use.

I was informed that parking was AUD 15 per day. And from the website, a nominal fee will be charged for storing your luggage on a daily rate.

I would advise to pre-purchase the Room aircond + Wifi (up to 2 devices per code) + TV + Towel Rental in advance (is cheaper I believe). The basic room amenity add-on bundle for the above comes with only 1 towel (you will need to add another towel if you are traveling with another companion/friend/spouse). The basic toiletries provided with the towel are a tube of shampoo and a small bar of soap (no toothbrush etc).

There is a cafe at the lobby, but didn't try it and can't comment.

Verdict: Will I come back again? Definitely :)

Pros: Value for money, FANTASTIC location, great service from staff. Comfy and clean room. Quality sleep ensured. Quiet location. Fast wifi connection. Self-operating washing machines and dryers.

Cons: Small room.

Tips: Rooms on higher floors will have better view, request for the rooms with window facing the roads (could be a little noisy though).

Room Tip: To pre-purchase the Room aircond + Wifi + TV + Towel Rental in advance. Rooms on higher floors will...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank youngwolf2k
NathanCopsey, General Manager at Ibis Melbourne Swanston Street, responded to this review, December 10, 2013
HI youngwolf2k,

Thanks so much for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us.

The safe instructions should be out next week, We have just finished putting them together.

In regards to Air Con, at Tune Melbourne (unlike some other Tune properties) the air con is included in your room rate, it is not sold as an add on. The computers in the lounge can be used for 15 mins complimentary per day for every guest. Should you need to use your own device, then small charges do apply.

I have noted your comments on Housekeeping and assure you we are working on the consistency.

Central Coast, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 6, 2013

Hotel is located nice and close to CBD, just a walk or tram ride away. Rooms are clean and modern, a little small however. A bar fridge would also have been nice.
Room was quiet, bathroom was decent size. Great value for the cost.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Sean P
NathanCopsey, General Manager at Ibis Melbourne Swanston Street, responded to this review, December 7, 2013
Hi Sean P,

Thanks for your review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay.

A Fridge is one of the items in the rooms we don't carry, as the less energy costs for us, the cheaper room rates for the guest!