“Thai all the way”

Pok Pok Thai Restaurant
Ranked #2,655 of 4,219 Restaurants in Melbourne
Cuisines: Thai
Reviewed April 7, 2014

It is one of my favourite Thai restaurant in Melbourne serving very authentic Thai style street food and more. I love the food and cannot complain about the quality and the quantity at all. I lived in Thailand for about an year few years back and the place does remind me of Thailand in many ways. If some of you have experienced, non touristy places in Thailand somehow do not come across as the most friendliest souls on Earth. However once you get to know them, they are lovely people. This tiny restaurant keeps everything in order by making sure that they do not entertain requests to alter any dishes on the menu. Most service is straight faced and matter of fact. and please do not expect freebies or replacement dishes.
These are few nuances of a culture which is different to an usual Aussie world. But nevertheless, I actually love this attitude of keeping the Thailand alive in little restaurant. I just make sure I warn my friends before I bring them along to this little food heaven.
The food is simply delicious and divine. And if you love the Thai flavours, you cannot stop going back there again and again ..
All in all though a great overall Thai experience in the heart of Melbourne.
Definitely recommended.

Reviewed March 13, 2014 via mobile

How hard can it be to get 12 simple breakfast meals to a table? It took a full hour to get the last serve of eggs on toast to us.
Pathetic!
Of the many issues I could list, the worst was that they served a normal latte to one colleague who had asked for soy milk due to allergy issues. Despite being asked to double check twice they assured her it was soy when it wasn't. Now she has to suffer for their lack of professionalism.

Reviewed October 6, 2013

I love a place with a plastic table when it's obvious the emphasis is on the food instead. If you are looking for wonderful flavors, this place delivers. Brekky is not fabulous, but if you are around this way at lunchtime I'd definitely recommend a bite. My favourites are the drunken noodles with beef, lamb curry and chicken cashew. If you love an authentic green papaya salad, they have one of those too.

Just get there early. My experience is that you need to get there bang on midday to get a table.

Reviewed September 10, 2013

A friend and I went for a quick lunch and we did not realise they had a big seating area upstairs. The place is clean and has lots of natural light. Service was great food came out fast and was DELICIOUS! We will be back again and again!

Reviewed August 15, 2013

I found this quirky little place on a recent trip to Melbourne. I was staying in Docklands on my own so didn't want to wander too far from my hotel alone at night. It's in a good spot that's easy to get to and close enough to Etihad Stadium for a pre-game meal without being too close.

The food is billed as 'Thai street food', which in practice is a mix of classic Thai and Malaysian-inspired dishes. There's a choice of small tables for two or four or two long communal tables. As I was flying solo, and didn't have a booking on a fairly busy Friday night, I was seated at the communal table between to groups which allowed me to sneak a look at their food (and hear their verdict, which was universally positive).

I wasn't feeling particularly well, so I just ordered one dish of the not spicy variety - Old Favourite's Chicken with Cashew Nuts - and it was absolutely delicious. I was actually surprised by how much I enjoyed this dish, it had nice strong flavours that weren't overpowering and a good amount of chicken to go with the vegetables. I would have loved to try the roti for dessert but I was too full to even contemplate it.

The prices were also quite reasonable, given the quality and portion size. The wine was a tad on the pricey side at $12 a glass but the beer wasn't not too bad, around $7-9 for a range of imports.

What a great find this place was - I may even seek it out next time I'm in town just so I can try some more of the menu!

1  Thank garneresque