“Nice place to stay”
Review of Oaks On William

Oaks On William
Ranked #49 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed July 24, 2014 via mobile

Great alternative to hotel style rooms. These are big and modern and have an apartment feel. I had a balcony overlooking Flagstaff gardens and enjoyed the views over Melbourne.
Only downside is that there is no restaurant and the "orderin" online food was less than acceptable. Plenty of places to eat in Melbourne so that's not a problem.
Reception staff were pleasant and made me feel welcome.
Good spot opposite the underground train station and trams stops are close by.

Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Stephen H
Hotel Manager W, Manager at Oaks On William, responded to this reviewResponded July 31, 2014

Thank you for posting your kind review. I am pleased to read you found our apartments a great alternative to traditional hotel rooms. All of our apartments are fully self-contained and each offers its very own private balcony. Your comments regarding our friendly staff are truly appreciated. We look forward to seeing you again on your next visit to Melbourne.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,540)

Reviewed July 24, 2014

I have stayed at Oaks on Lonsdale and decided to try their relatively newer property Oaks on William which is a year old. Oaks on William is located on William Street opposite the stunning Flagstaff Gardens. I stayed on the 17th floor - amazing! The room card used in the lift to gain access to floors is similar to 'payWave'. I can't begin to think how many times I've had to swipe magnetic cards over and over to gain access into a room. With the keyless 'payWave' system one wave and I was in.

Entering the park view studio room reminded me of a hotel I stayed at while visiting Paris, with a painted wall mural behind the bed, and chic contemporary furnishings. Walking onto the private balcony the view could be described as a blend of Paris, New York and London. In the distance the Melbourne Star Observation Wheel (similar to the London Eye), water views over The Docklands, traffic below reminiscent of a busy New York street, the stunning Flagstaff Gardens nestled next to Melbourne's historic buildings took me back to Luxembourg Gardens in the Latin Quarter, and the West Gate Bridge reminded me of London's Southwark Bridge. A symphony of horns heard from trams, buses, cars, motorbikes and even container ships at Docklands reminding me how 'alive' the city really is. The design of the balcony is enclosed so no other guests can see into your area. It's private, cosy and intimate. I enjoyed a glass of wine while soaking up the views over Melbourne. The bathroom has plenty of room with toiletries supplied and a Vidal Sassoon hairdryer. But best of all, nothing beats a rain shower. The lounge area has a full length mirror, big plasma TV, an iPod dock alarm clock, and a table that can be used as a work station or meals while taking in your very own city scape views. The queen mattress is so comfortable and of high quality, I woke in the middle of the night thinking I was in my own bed. Even the pillows selected will ensure you get a perfect night's rest. When I complimented the reception staff on my restful night's sleep, they said many guests return purely for the beds alone!

The kitchen has modern stainless steel appliances with tea, coffee and milk supplied. You can prepare your own meals, however with every type of food cuisine represented in Melbourne there's a strong culture of eating out. Next door you'll find Brother Thomas Cafe and believe me, the breakfast is exceptional. The complex has a gymnasium, but if you're like me and like to get out for a walk or run, having the Flagstaff Gardens at your doorstep is a bonus.

Oaks on William is walking distance from the Queen Victoria Market, the theatres, and Hardware Lane. The staff are always friendly, and ready to help with anything you ask.

I always stay at the Oaks, and will be checking out their other properties in the near future. This is my home away from home - just love it! I know you will too.

Room Tip: The park view room overlooking the docklands is breath taking.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
11  Thank AussieTraveljourno

Thank you for posting such a wonderful review of our property. I was truly delighted to read about your experience at the hotel. Your comments offer future travellers great insight in to all that Melbourne and our hotel has to offer. It would be our pleasure to welcome you back to Oaks on William again on your next visit to Melbourne. Thanks again for your kind comments.

Victor Kondarios
Hotel Manager

Reviewed July 24, 2014

Reception on arrival and departure was very friendly and helpful. The rooms were beautifully decorated overlooking views of the park and city. ( loved the silver vinyl bean bag!) Undercover parking available.
Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Rooms with balcony are lovely.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you posting your short and sweet review. I am delighted to read that you found our rooms beautifully decorated and comfortable. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed July 24, 2014

Anywhere in Melbourne's CBD is a good location so good accommodation needs to offer lots more. Oaks on William did. The staff were friendly and helpful. The studio apartment we had on the 12th floor, overlooking the park, was very nice. The small balcony was not used but it was lovely to look out in the morning and see the water of Docklands and at night seeing the lights of the city. The king size bed was one of the most comfortable I have slept in. The kitchen was well appointed and had everything we needed for a couple of casual meals we prepared. Next door is Brother Thomas cafe which comes highly recommended. Only a 5 min walk to Queen Vic Markets and 12 mins to Etihad. Latrobe st is right on the door step allowing easy access to trams including the free circle line tram.

Room Tip: Definitely a park view is recommended.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled with family

Thank you for posting your kind review. It is a pleasure to read that your stay with us was most comfortable and enjoyable. Your comments regarding our helpful staff have been passed on with thanks. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Reviewed July 23, 2014 via mobile

Airport sky bus drop you off at Southern Cross station and it is 15 mins to walk to hotel. You can also take the shuttle sky bus service which stops & pick up from Radisson Hotel. From Radisson Hotel, it's a short 2 mins walk to Oaks.

Great service & check in/out was smooth & fast.

Room is amazing. Comes with full kitchen wares and utensils. There's 2 stoves, microwave, toaster, full sized fridge, oven & dish washer!!!

Gym is of good size with a good selection of machines. There's also a laundry room at AUD3 per load.

Wifi is free for 30 mins daily or you can choose to purchase 24 hours unlimited wifi at AUD18. Wifi is reliable.

There's also parking at the building located 3 mins walk from hotel. The parking fee is at AUD10 for overnight parking.

Short walk to Vic Market (5 mins), Crown Casino (10 mins) & Royal Arcade (10 mins).

Overall an extremely comfortable stay.

• Stayed: July 2014
3  Thank Mimidichi
Hotel Manager W, Manager at Oaks On William, responded to this reviewResponded July 23, 2014

Thank you for posting your wonderful review of Oaks on William. I am delighted to read that your recent stay with us was most comfortable and enjoyable. Your comments regarding the great service you received from our staff have been passed on with thanks. The staff and I look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back again on your next visit to Melbourne.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

Great boutique hotel walking distance to everything. Rooms are a good size and have all the gear to allow you to self cater (on holiday - I don't think so) and there is a great gym which you can have to yourself. Reception staff seem eager to help and check in was no problem. Bed was large and very good. Lots of pubs and restaurants nearby and also close to the casino and restaurant strip. Taxi from airport had an easy entry to the area. Second stay there and my preferred place when I go to Melbourne. Good value for money.

Room Tip: Great views from rooms overlooking William Street. Minimal street noise.
  • Stayed: May 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for posting your kind review. I am delighted to read that Oaks on William is your preferred choice of hotel when travelling to Melbourne. Your comments regarding our staff, location of the hotel and standard of accommodation is truly appreciated. I look forward to welcoming you back to the property yet again.

Reviewed July 22, 2014

This is our first time visit Melbourne, but we were really enjoy our stay as we were upgraded to the studio deluxe room. Room was very clean, modern and very comfy. Nice views from the private balcony, good size king bed and huge TV. Also, fully equipped with kitchen facilities. Staffs were very professional, helpful, and friendly. Plus, there are a gymnasium and self-service laundry on level 3A.

It is close to Queen Victoria Market to get some fresh food and the free city circle tram is just around the corner or either train station is only across the street.

Many thanks for looking after us. We'll definitely be back next stay.

Room Tip: Higher floor will give you a better scenery.
  • Stayed: July 2014, traveled as a couple

Thank you for posting your kind review. I am pleased to read that your first trip to Melbourne was most enjoyable and that you found our hotel ideally located. Your comments regarding the professional and friendly service you received from our staff is truly appreciated. I look forward to welcoming you back again on your next visit to Melbourne.