“Great location, new property”
Review of Oaks On William

Oaks On William
Ranked #48 of 161 Hotels in Melbourne
Reviewed March 22, 2014

I regularly use Oaks and this one reminded me a little of the Oaks Hyde Park in Sydney. It's much, much newer but the location is great - park right across the road, Flagstaff train stop on the corner, tram out the front, great little breakfast/coffee shop adjacent to the foyer and within easy walking distance of Victoria Markets, the shopping strip and the CBD. There is a good sized gym on site which has modern equipment and is well equipped.
The rooms are well laid out - a kitchenette with a medium sized fridge, microwave, dishwasher, cooktop. I note people complaining about supplies but quite frankly if you are going to use the cooking facilities then you are probably shopping for food anyway so it is pretty easy to purchase the 'extras'.
The interior design is probably best described as 'modern industrial' - clean, basic, bright, some nice touches like the multiple USB charger right near the bed, a pretty comfy bean bag and wonderful reading lights. The balcony is small but functional. The bathroom is an okay size, they have very wisely done away with a bath and provided an oversized shower with a really good showerhead. I'm not sure about the comments around towels - there were two of everything and with the room serviced daily I had no problems. Honestly the staff are so accommodating I'm pretty sure they would send up more if you simply asked.
On that, the staff were fantastic, very friendly and patient, I stayed for 3 nights and noticed them often giving help to overseas or interstate tourists. I arrived well before check in (10.30am) but a phone call the day before with a polite request to see if they could get me in earlier was clearly acted upon - I was checked in straight away, no problems - really good customer service. The only downside was the lack of free WIFI- it is definitely something all Australian hoteliers could take note of - it is a standard now just about anywhere else in the world - I'd rather have that than cable TV!
All in all, a clean, modern, well located property that I would stay in again.

Room Tip: Park view is lovely but you will pay extra. If noise isn't your thing then request one to the ba...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank cooksjourney
Hotel Manager W, Manager at Oaks On William, responded to this reviewResponded March 23, 2014

Thank you for your wonderful comments and great to hear from one of our regular guests. I am delighted to read that your recent stay was most enjoyable and that you found our services and facilities to your liking. Your comments are invaluable and all is taken on board in our efforts to ensure the ultimate guest experience. I certainly look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back to Oaks on William again in the near future.

Reviewed March 21, 2014

My wife and I have stayed at the Oaks on William on two occasions, the second day it opened for 2 nights and then 3 months later for 4 nights. This is a place that we both like, the staff are great, with the proximity to the centre of Melbourne and the surrounds makes it an ideal location. We were able to either walk or catch the tram services running close by. The rooms were great and clean and the balconies permitted the access to the surrounds.

Room Tip: The park view rooms provide a good outlook over Melbourne's south west.
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Ian U

Thank you for your wonderful feedback and great to read that your stay was most enjoyable. Your comments regarding the great service you received from our front office staff as well as the standard of cleaning you have seen have been passed on with thanks. We look forward to welcoming you and your wife again on your next visit to Melbourne.

Reviewed March 18, 2014

We booked our room at the Oaks and made sure to pay extra for the Park View. Unfortunately our flight in from Sydney had us arriving in Melbourne at 10AM and check in isn't until 3PM so we called ahead to see of we could have an early check in and were told that they would try to accommodate but old not make any guarantees. When we arrived at the hotel we were told that we could not check in early unless we were willing to take a room with a "partially obstructed" view of the park. Even though we were exhausted fom waking up from our flight at 4AM we declined as we wanted the park view that we had paid extra for.
We returned to the Oaks at 3 to check in (by this time, thouroughly exhausted), got up to our room and low and behold we had a "partially obstructed" view of the park (the apartments on the end of each side are set back thus allowing only a 45 degree view from your balcony). I was livid. I stepped back into the room from the balcony only to find my girlfriend passed out already on the bed. At this point we sucked it up and were robbed of our view rather than grabbing our bags, going down to reception and haggling over a better room.
In addition, there is no free wifi in the lobby as advertised and worst of all, at a brand new establishment the mattress was extremely uncomfortable. No cushion whatsoever, like a pile of straw.

Room Tip: Make sure you remind reception when checking in that you expect a full view from your room if you pa...
2  Thank SLPY
Hotel Manager W, Manager at Oaks On William, responded to this reviewResponded March 18, 2014

It is most disappointing to read that your stay was not as expected and I apologise for this. I would really appreciate you contacting me directly about the room you stayed in as all of our beds are brand new and we normally receive great feedback on our bedding range. Regarding check-in this is guaranteed at 2pm. I trust that you will consider staying with us again in the future as I am sure we will be able to deliver beyond your expectations.

Reviewed March 15, 2014

We stayed four nights end of February. The hotel staff couldn't have been nicer, all were so helpful with restaurants, directions, services. They went out of their way to be helpful. The room was clean, modern, with full kitchen, balcony with view of the park. The cement ceiling was odd. We would definitely stay there again and will recommend to friends. Great location in CBD.

Room Tip: Get view of park
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
Hotel Manager W, Manager at Oaks On William, responded to this reviewResponded March 17, 2014

Thank you for your kind comments and great to read that our staff were able to ensure your experience at the hotel was most enjoyable. We look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back again on your next visit to Melbourne.

Reviewed March 14, 2014

This was our second stay in a 3 week period. The hotel is new, clean and modern and that is why I decided to give it a go. We travel a lot and I'm very fussy especially about cleanliness. I enjoyed our stays but I can't get excited! Our first stay was for 2 nights in a king park room, we were on the 17th floor overlooking Flagstaff Gardens, great view at night with all the lights. Our second stay was for my birthday we had a king park room on the 13th floor again overlooking the park.

Location was easy, and convenient. There were a number of negatives nothing big though, not enough towels or places to hang towels and robes in the bathroom. Body wash would be better than a bar of soap. The bare concrete roof was bizarre. Didn't fit the decor but I'm not an interior decorator. The staff were courteous but not overly friendly!

I can't quite put my finger on why I'm not loving this hotel as it fits most of my must haves. Will we stay again, maybe!!

Room Tip: Book a room with a view over the park.....
1  Thank Ashjay40

Thank you for your feedback and great to hear that you have found our hotel to be in a great location for you with clean and modern apartments. I am delighted to read that you have chosen to return to our hotel and I can assure you that we would love for nothing more than to see you back again on your next trip to Melbourne. On your next visit I recommend one of our brand new one bedroom apartments which have been beautifully thought out and offer stunning views of the city. I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

Stayed three nights recently. The booking was part of a package.

The checkin staff were all very good and knowledgeable. We stayed in a room on the 12th floor. Our room was very funky. It was new and had all the gear one would need. Would have scored top marks except for a bit of a lack of spare towels in the bathroom, and some kitchen stuff e.g. detergent, and cloths etc.

Wireless. Man, these guys need to pick up their act. I have travelled in the US and Europe and wireless is free. Just comes with the stay like the toaster and fridge. Oaks still restrict you to 30 (continuous) minutes for free per day, then $5.00 per (continuous) 30 minutes. Come on guys, we live in an age where everyone has a wireless device in their pocket and it is a dammed inconvenience to be charged like this. When you come from another country and don't have a local SIM (that is another story) then looking up things to do on your device is essential. I don't want to pay a fortune for it! You don't restrict the use of anything else in the room e.g. the TV, the kettle or toaster - why the Internet!! You should pay a flat rate as a corporate - don't profiteer.

You would have got a good five star rating other than this, but you really need to sort it.

After that rant, I would still recommend it as a place to stay. Walkable to most places in the CBD.

Room Tip: Make sure you go up to the top floors and get a view.
2  Thank Onlinegeezer
Hotel Manager W, Manager at Oaks On William, responded to this reviewResponded March 11, 2014

Thank you for you feedback regarding your recent stay at Oaks on William. I am pleased to read that you found our staff friendly and knowledgeable and our rooms funky and well equipped. As a brand Oaks is committed to offering great value to our guests and as such we recently introduced a complimentary 30 minutes free Wi-Fi service daily for our guests to browse the internet. We are continuously working with our suppliers to bring you even greater value and invaluable feedback such as your will ensure we continue to do so. Thanks again for your recommendations to others and we look forward to having the pleasure of accommodating you again in the future.

Reviewed March 9, 2014

Great hotel with good service in a convenient location in the Melbourne CBD. Stayed two nights and the room was very clean, nicely decorated and a good size. Would recommend to others staying in Melbourne.

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled with friends
1  Thank 000CST000

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay and it is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed the service, décor, location and cleanliness of the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.