WINNER WONDERLAND

Review of Oaks On William

Oaks On William
Ranked #32 of 157 Hotels in Melbourne
Ballarat, Australia
“Nice but not great.....”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 14, 2014

This was our second stay in a 3 week period. The hotel is new, clean and modern and that is why I decided to give it a go. We travel a lot and I'm very fussy especially about cleanliness. I enjoyed our stays but I can't get excited! Our first stay was for 2 nights in a king park room, we were on the 17th floor overlooking Flagstaff Gardens, great view at night with all the lights. Our second stay was for my birthday we had a king park room on the 13th floor again overlooking the park.

Location was easy, and convenient. There were a number of negatives nothing big though, not enough towels or places to hang towels and robes in the bathroom. Body wash would be better than a bar of soap. The bare concrete roof was bizarre. Didn't fit the decor but I'm not an interior decorator. The staff were courteous but not overly friendly!

I can't quite put my finger on why I'm not loving this hotel as it fits most of my must haves. Will we stay again, maybe!!

Room Tip: Book a room with a view over the park.....
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank Ashjay40
Hotel Manager W, Manager at Oaks On William, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Thank you for your feedback and great to hear that you have found our hotel to be in a great location for you with clean and modern apartments. I am delighted to read that you have chosen to return to our hotel and I can assure you that we would love for nothing more than to see you back again on your next trip to Melbourne. On your next visit I recommend one of our brand new one bedroom apartments which have been beautifully thought out and offer stunning views of the city. I look forward to hopefully welcoming you back to the hotel again soon.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (434)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
Hamilton, New Zealand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

Stayed three nights recently. The booking was part of a package.

The checkin staff were all very good and knowledgeable. We stayed in a room on the 12th floor. Our room was very funky. It was new and had all the gear one would need. Would have scored top marks except for a bit of a lack of spare towels in the bathroom, and some kitchen stuff e.g. detergent, and cloths etc.

Wireless. Man, these guys need to pick up their act. I have travelled in the US and Europe and wireless is free. Just comes with the stay like the toaster and fridge. Oaks still restrict you to 30 (continuous) minutes for free per day, then $5.00 per (continuous) 30 minutes. Come on guys, we live in an age where everyone has a wireless device in their pocket and it is a dammed inconvenience to be charged like this. When you come from another country and don't have a local SIM (that is another story) then looking up things to do on your device is essential. I don't want to pay a fortune for it! You don't restrict the use of anything else in the room e.g. the TV, the kettle or toaster - why the Internet!! You should pay a flat rate as a corporate - don't profiteer.

You would have got a good five star rating other than this, but you really need to sort it.

After that rant, I would still recommend it as a place to stay. Walkable to most places in the CBD.

Room Tip: Make sure you go up to the top floors and get a view.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Onlinegeezer
Hotel Manager W, Manager at Oaks On William, responded to this review, March 11, 2014
Thank you for you feedback regarding your recent stay at Oaks on William. I am pleased to read that you found our staff friendly and knowledgeable and our rooms funky and well equipped. As a brand Oaks is committed to offering great value to our guests and as such we recently introduced a complimentary 30 minutes free Wi-Fi service daily for our guests to browse the internet. We are continuously working with our suppliers to bring you even greater value and invaluable feedback such as your will ensure we continue to do so. Thanks again for your recommendations to others and we look forward to having the pleasure of accommodating you again in the future.
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

Great hotel with good service in a convenient location in the Melbourne CBD. Stayed two nights and the room was very clean, nicely decorated and a good size. Would recommend to others staying in Melbourne.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank 000CST000
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay and it is a pleasure to read that you enjoyed the service, décor, location and cleanliness of the hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Townsville, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014

I stayed at Oaks on William for 5 nights, and had booked a Studio Park unit, which are supposed to be the rooms on the front of the tower overlooking Flagstaff Gardens. I was dissapointed to find however, that my room was set well back front the front of the building, and although I had great views of the skyline in one direction, I could see very little of the eponymous park because a wall was in the way. There are two of these rooms with compromised views on each floor (one on either side of the tower).

This dissapointment aside, my stay was good. As other's have mentioned, the ceilings of the rooms are exposed concrete, which is not a good look in my opinion, but otherwise the room was very nice and all the facilites were top quality. I paid for the hotel wireless internet, and didn't have any issues with that. I had an afternoon flight, and was able to leave my suitcase with reception for several hours after checking out.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank oriolus84
Thank you for your feedback regarding your recent stay at Oaks on William. I am pleased to read that your overall experience at the hotel was enjoyable. As mentioned in your review two of the rooms on each floor have limited views of the park, however as they are corner apartments they are slightly larger and offer a more open plan style apartment. You will be pleased to know that we have recently released brand new studio view and one bedroom view apartments all with uninterrupted views of the city. I look forward to having the opportunity to welcome you back to our hotel again in the near future.
London
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 9, 2014 via mobile

We stayed two nights based on the Tripadvisor reviews and found it to be very good indeed. Our room was immaculately clean, well presented with a huge bed, flat screen tv, aircon and balcony. We heard no noise whatsoever either from outside or neighbouring apartments. Would definitely stay again if in Melbourne.

Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank Travel_Lion_10
Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Oaks on William. I am truly delighted to read that your experience at the hotel was most enjoyable. The team I look forward to having the pleasure of welcoming you back again soon.
England
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

Allowed us to check in early which was much appreciated. Located next to Flagstaff park and near to CBD trams. Really well equipped rooms and great view overlooking the park from balcony. Everything very new and fresh looking. Would get higher marks if lobby was bigger with more atmosphere, bar etc but only small niggle as not generally expected with apart hotel. Would definitely stay again!

• Stayed February 2014
1 Thank androidsdream
Thank you for you kind comments regarding your recent stay and great to read that our staff were able to arrange an early check-in for you on arrival. Our staff would be delighted to assist you with information on the many bars and restaurants closely located to the hotel. We look forward of having the pleasure to welcome you back again soon.
Wenatchee, WA
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2014

Our room was modern, spacious and had a fantastic view of the gardens and the water. At night we could see the ferris wheel all lite up. Having the kitchen was nice for take away food. The appliances were new, clean and the kitchen was stocked with all the dishes and utensils that you would need. In another review someone complained about the cement ceiling in the rooms. The ceiling fit right in since the room was modern architecture. There is a grocery and plenty of restaurants just a few blocks away. The front desk staff was professional and very helpful with any questions we had. We felt this was an excellent hotel.

Room Tip: Pay for or ask for a higher floor room facing the gardens. We were on the 13th floor with a wonderfu...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank hester56
Hotel Manager W, Manager at Oaks On William, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
It was a pleasure reading your review of our hotel and I am delighted to see that your stay was most enjoyable. The newly lit up Ferris Wheel from is quite a sight to see from our studio park and park deluxe apartments and I am glad you were able to enjoy this as well as the many other aspects of your stay. I look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel again soon.