“Great”

Ranked #42 of 158 Hotels in Melbourne
London, United Kingdom
“Great”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 18, 2013

Ok, so I don’t usually write reviews but thought I would in this case.

I stayed at Oaks on William for 2 weeks in November, in a studio apartment overlooking Flagstaff Park (15th Floor).
I've read a number of reviews saying the view wasn't all that, all I can say is those people should have looked up. As well as the park directly below, you also have a great view over the city and docklands. Which is particularly stunning at sunrise/sunset.
The room itself was lovely, nicely decorated… apart from the ceiling, which was bizarre… almost like it had been forgotten. The kitchen is fully equipped with a fridge, oven, microwave and dishwasher. You are also provided with dishwasher powder and washing up liquid each time the room is serviced. One thing I will say about the appliances is the lights on them are quite bright so if you need complete darkness to sleep, you may need to cover these. You are given the basic utensils, which suited me fine as I only really ate breakfast in the apartment. If you're looking to cook a 3 course meal then yes, you will probably have to go out and buy more but there are so many nice places to eat out so why bother! There is room service available, which you can order online or over the phone, as well as selecting when you would like your order delivered - perfect when you've been on a tour all day and want your dinner as soon as you get in! The food isn't amazing, its not by any means bad, you get what you pay for really.
If you are planning on spending a lot of time in your room then either go for the bigger suites or go somewhere else. It has the all the basics you need for an apartment in a city (That's right, City - so go explore!). For me, I spent most of my time out of the room so for somewhere to sleep, shower and relax in for short periods, it was perfect.
Also, the staff are very friendly and helpful. A credit to the hotel.
In terms of issues or rather annoyances… the doors on each of the rooms are very loud when being opened and closed. Most mornings I was woken up by my neighbours leaving for the day.
Housekeeping was completed early in the morning, so if I did fancy longer in bed, I had to go without bins being emptied etc.
The Wifi charges. This was an issue and a big one for me. You get 30mins of continuous use of Wifi free a day. After that you have to buy a package. The prices were not reasonable and most were based on continuous use, which isn't helpful, for anyone. Free Wifi is a very common thing nowadays and in my opinion should be standard. Luckily many of the shops, restaurants, pubs and public areas have caught onto this so you can avoid paying by just going to these places.

Ok, logistics. If you leave the hotel, head left and then left again down La Trobe St, follow the road for about 10 minutes, on your right will be a shopping centre. This has a Coles (equivalent to Tesco) so you can stock up on all the important items, right next door to this is a liqourland so you can stock up on the essential items! If you are looking for a cheap way to stay in contact with people then whilst you're in the shopping centre, pop to Opus and pick up a pay as you go sim card. You can get calls, messages and data for just $2 a day. Also, whilst you are in the centre, look out for a Myki sign. This is the equivalent to the Oyster Cards in London. Get them as pay as you go and you can top them up in any of the stations. This makes getting back to the hotel easy as the train station entrance is right by Coles or you can just step outside and hail one of the many taxi's driving past. As well as this shopping centre, there are 7 Elevens pretty much on every block where you can buy your basics.

Just outside the hotel are two tram stops - one for the free city loop tram, you can just jump on this and it will take you to most places you need (it’s the maroon coloured one), for the other trams, these take you to various different places depending on which number you get on and you can use you Myki card for payment.
These is also Flagstaff train station just across the road if you're not keen on the trams!
I have to say though, everything is in walking distance. You can walk to Federation square in 20-30mins. This is surrounded by lots of touristy places. If you cross the river from there you can visit the Casino and many lovely restaurants. Plenty to do and see in this area.
I mostly used cabs if I was too lazy to walk as they are everywhere and occasionally the train when travelling out of the city.

All in all, not only was the hotel perfect for me, Melbourne is full of interesting places to see and the people are extremely friendly. Book it and enjoy it.

Room Tip: Spend the extra for a view of the park
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
7 Thank ts201387
Hotel Manager W, Front Office Manager at Oaks On William, responded to this review, December 18, 2013
Thank you for taking your time writing a review on your recent stay with us at Oaks on William. I am delighted to read that you enjoy your overall experience and found our studio park room met your expectation. I am also happy to hear that my Front Office team were friendly and helpful during your stay.

I have passed your feedbacks to our relevant departments in regards to the door noises, as well as servicing of the room. I will also pass your feedback to our room service provider.

As always, guest’s feedbacks are invaluable for us and thank you again for taking your time. My Team and I look forward to welcoming you back to Oaks on William in the near future.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (466)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
London, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 17, 2013

Hotel is new but if you don't pay for a park view upgrade you will be given a room round the back which is surrounded by numerous apartment towers which block out all direct sunlight - a 10min reflection of sunlight off another tower is the only light my room got! Apart from needing lights on at all times the fit out was ok, bed was pretty cheap though and already had a huge groove which required me to sleep the other way around, feet first. Internet is $10 per hour for wifi which is ridiculous in 2013 and disgusting for a brand new hotel which has been NBN Fibre enabled (which is just switched off!) TV was ok, some Foxtel channels but many were just blank screen... Overall I would not recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Park view rooms whilst expensive, will give you natural light which is essential!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank wilrc1
Thank you for taking your time to comment on your recent stay with us at Oaks on William. I am sorry to hear that your stay in our Studio room has not met your standard. Our Studio Park view room can be booked prior to arrival and the rate is around $20 more then our studio room.

We believe in giving our guests the best available room rates comparing to our competitors who might have included internet costs within their room rate; Due to this we have opt for our guest to either use or not use this internet service to keep our price competitive.

I am disappointed that we were unable to meet your expectation. If you wish to discuss further in regards to your recent stay, please don’t hesitate to email me directly at FOMWilliam@theoaksgroup.com.au.

Thank you again for your feedback.
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2013

Oaks on William is a new(ish) apartment style hotel in a great location across from the Flagstaff Gardens and a few blocks for iconic Queen Victoria Market. We got a great rate and were pleasantly surprised with how clean, modern and spacious our room was. We had a lovely view of the gardens and enjoyed sitting on the patio with a glass of wine. The sliding glass doors were a great sound barrier and we slept very well. We loved it so much we tryed to stay an extra night & our only criticism would be we didn't find the front desk staff overly helpful with that. Other than that, we recommend Oaks on William St as a good value place to stay in Melbourne.

Room Tip: Spend the extra $10 to upgrade to a park view
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
Hotel Manager W, Front Office Manager at Oaks On William, responded to this review, December 16, 2013
Thank you for take your time writing a feedback for your recent with us. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Oaks on William and found our Studio Park room clean, modern and spacious. I sorry to hear that we were not able to extend your stay with us however, my team and I would love to welcome you back in the near future.
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

We spent two nights here in December. We booked mainly because it was just $125/night and we were after anything special. As it turned out we were pleasantly surprised! To start with it was easy to get to the hotel from the airport using the Skybus service ($28 return). Once there getting around was easy. Right out side the door is a free Tram (Tram 35) which circles the CBD area. If you didn't want to take the tram or use the other public tram services its not fr walking to most places of interest.
We were given room 1103. The room itself was more than we expected for the price. It was quite large very clean and included everything you want as well as kitchen facilities which we didn't expect. Largest fridge I've ever seen in a hotel room! Our room overlooked an office block which wasn't very scenic but we didn't care. We could have paid more for park views but we were only there a short time and that wasn't a priority for us. The extra cost would have been worth it if it was a romantic stay!
All in all we were very happy and would stay again.

Room Tip: Cost a bit more but a park view would be nicer!
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Rodney K
Hotel Manager W, Front Office Manager at Oaks On William, responded to this review, December 15, 2013
Thank you for your kind feedback for your recent stay at Oaks on William. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you found our location was very accessible. The hotel location is ideal if you would like to explore some of Melbourne popular attractions via the public transport system or by foot. I am also pleased to hear that you found your room very clean and will pass your feedback to our housekeeping team. Once again thank you for your feedback and we look forward to seeing you at the hotel again in the near future.
Canberra, Australia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

Stayed here for 3 nights in December. The location was fantastic and price competitive. One one huge problem was that the gym had no AC - it was boiling! I'm normally a cold person and I found it hot, my partner found it unbearable and couldn't do his daily cardio due to the complete lack of air in the gym. There were no staff around to ask for help either. I appeal to Management to fix the temperature problem in the gym because otherwise it's a good hotel.

• Stayed December 2013
3 Thank Coffdock
Thank you for taking your time to comment on your recent stay with us at Oaks on William. I am glad that you found our location fantastic and that our price was competitive.
I am sorry to hear that you found our gym temperature was not ideal. I have asked my maintenance office to check the AC setting in the gym area and the temperature is set at a constant 21 degrees. The temperature can be altered by reception staff and reception is open 24 hours. I hope this won’t deter you and your partner from choosing Oaks on William for your next stay in Melbourne and we do hope we can welcome you again.
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 14, 2013

Spent three days here in December 2013.lovely to be remembered by the staff members on front counter who had taken my booking over the phone from interstate several weeks prior.
Made my stay a treat by checking me into my requested Flagstaff Gardens view room on the end on the complex with views of the Yarra.
Staff we're very pleasant and helpful with advice over my stay.

Room Tip: Views over Flagstaff Gardens is very nice.
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled solo
2 Thank southwestern006
Thank you for your kind feedback on your recent stay with Oaks on William. My Staff and I are delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the services provided by my staff were very pleasant and helpful.
Our Studio Park and Studio Park Deluxe rooms offer great view of the Flagstaff Garden and Dockland and I am pleased that you get to enjoy the view on your recent stay.
My staff and I look forward to your next stay with us.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 13, 2013

Location of oaks on William is good, towards the Northern part of the CBD, but close to Spencer street station. Its about 10 minutes walk to bourke street mall and swanston st. Trams are available right outside the door, including the free CBD tram (tram 35). The room was large and clean, and the decor has a modern feel to it. It does appear a bit bland though, missing a certain something, the x-factor to make it feel truly welcoming. However we only stayed one night and got a good rate, so we didn't mind the fact that it seemed a little bland. Would stay again.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank bas17
Thank you for taking your time to comment on your recent stay with us at Oaks on William. I am glad to read that you found our location convenient and that your room was large and clean. Our hotel location provides excellent access to Melbourne public transport facilities as well as the Free City Circle Tram and the Tourist Shuttle. I look forward to welcoming you back to Oaks on William again in the near future.