“Food to Die for”

Cuisines: Greek
Good for: Large groups, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Neighborhood: Central Business District
Description: Messy Greek street food that matches your drinks – experience GAZI in Melbourne’s CBD Want edgy? Want rough? Want fun? GAZI is here.Named after and inspired by an eclectic neighbourhood surrounding an old gasworks in Athens, GAZI is a Greek restaurant in Melbourne CBD where anything goes.From the ink-splattered walls to industrial steel benches, GAZI is a no-frills, no-fuss bar-slash-Greek-restaurant where you can drink, eat and let loose – without the rules.Want to book? You can. Booking not your thing? Just rock up.We don’t mind what you do, as long as you get stuck into our impressive range of sensational cocktails. As the latest venture of renowned Greek chef and restaurateur George Calombaris, we offer a pretty impressive range of Greek food, too. So while you’re here, get your hands dirty with our tasty Greek street food – designed to soak up the alcohol while you soak up the fun. Join us and get lost in the cool and carefree atmosphere of the most eccentric neighbourhood in Greece, without leaving Melbourne’s CBD.
Reviewed April 4, 2014

We were big fans of Masterchef Australia over here in the UK & love George. So when we went over to Melbourne to visit our daughter we just had to go to his restaurant. We had lunch there on my 50th Birthday and the experience and the food was so fantastic we went back again a week later. Talk about a taste sensation, we were in food heaven.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,133)

Reviewed April 1, 2014

I booked in to Gazi on the Monday evening and they found it difficult to find me a solo table but they were very good about it and managed to get me one. Well this restaurant is a great Melbourne experience that I wasn't expecting. I arrived on time to find a couple in a passionate embrace just at the entrance way, I walked in with a crowd behind me only to find a noisy and large crowd also inside and for a Monday night! I was seated and ordered a cocktail, the barman came to my table to clarify exactly how I wanted my cocktail but alas it arrived after my first course. The service, while good is hectic as this is a very busy young crowd. Two guys were brought to the table directly beside me, the tables are so close that the fellow asked if I minded if they join me! We both lamented about how there was no greek salad on the menu and he was particularly disappointed that there was no baklava for dessert.
However the food is innovative and tasty if not a bit "junky" with the souvlaki that I ordered having chips in it. It is a good place for the 20 and 30 somethings in that respect.
It is a good place to meet people, I did enjoy my night and I may be back.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

We were surprised at how crowded it was on a Monday night. We sat at the bar and were amazed at how hard the kitchen staff worked in a bustling environment. The food is not classic Greek -- I would say it's more Greek-inspired (for example, no retsina wine) -- but what we had was excellent -- the dip selection, the chicken off the spit (seemed a signature dish) and watermelon salad. Very tasty and filling.

Reviewed March 31, 2014

A group of us dined at the second sitting recently and one could only describe the place as being an over crowded and noisy room that served over priced and terrible tasting food. We were crammed onto a long set of tables such that there was little room to move one's elbows and it was such that a number of times drinks were knocked over. In addition the wait staff, who were happy and did a good job in the circumstances, had difficulty in placing dishes on the table as firstly they couldn't get access between guests and secondly there wasn't enough room on the tables to place items. It was far too noisy to hold any semblance of conversation with anyone but the person sitting immediately adjacent - without yelling there was no hope of conversing with anyone across the table! The food on our set "ten course" menu was ordinary at best. The two dips we were served were coloured but tasteless but the pita bread was fresh and of adequate volume. We had a choice of souvlakia - I ordered duck which was tasteless and my wife ordered beef which tasted as if it had been boiled (yuk!!). Next were two types of grilled cheese - one was unidentifiable while one was possibly haloumi and the chicken dish that followed was tasteless. No vegetables were served but instead was a half lettuce that had been "dressed" with an oil and a cheese. For dessert we were served hard leathery honey balls without the honey and a pink coloured sickly sweet mousse (I think). There were ten items of food but it could hardly be called a ten course dinner. In addition the drinks were expensive for what you got. My advice is to spend your money wisely elsewhere!

2  Thank Keith-Di
Reviewed March 28, 2014

What a fun restaurant and the food was fantastic.

While we had to wait for a while to get in it was well worth it.

We were seated up at the bar which gave us a birds eye view on what was happening in the kitchen and ended up influencing our menu choices.

The Taramasalta, Calamari, Lettuce Salad, and the Soft Shell Crab Souvlaki were just fantastic, the right size and the tastes.... we also had the fetta and chips but that was just too much to indulge in to the end....

We also loved the various greek wines my glass of red was brilliant, and my friends glass of white was also very good. Not quite what I was expecting.

Love the service - it was efficient - without you feeling rushed, everyone knew about the menu and were happy to engage with recommendations.