Mercure Melbourne Albert Park
Novotel Melbourne on Collins(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$130
$123
  • Restaurant
Treasury On Collins(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$165
  • Breakfast included
$87
  • Bar/Lounge
Pan Pacific Melbourne(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$201
$125
  • Room Service
$69
$67
  • Fitness center
Art Series - The Blackman(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$170
$126
Agoda.com
  • Room Service
The Hotel Windsor(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$158
Hotels.com
  • Restaurant
Art Series - The Larwill Studio(Melbourne)(Great Value!)
$137
$232
$230
$184
  • Pool
All reviewsst kildawindows restaurantqueens roadself parkaccor memberbusy roadroom upgradeaccor hotelschapel streetbuffet breakfastpool and gymcomfortable roompublic transportqueen bedenjoyable staytram stopcity
FilterAll languages
Reviewed April 7, 2014

I stayed here from 4 April until 7 April.

Star rating: In my experience the hotel is a 3.5 star property with Holiday Inn style rooms. Good beds, a good range of TV channels, tea & coffee making facilities and a fridge. And windows do OPEN!

Getting there: If you have just an overnight bag you can take a tram from the city (the 3, 5, 6, 16, 64 or 67) and alight on St Kilda Road at Stop #27. Get off the tram and cross the road towards Albert Park. It is a 7 min walk to the hotel. Enter where it says PULLMAN CONFERENCE CENTRE (the back of the building, way before you see the front of the building and the main entrance) and you will halve your walking time.

Otherwise it is a $14 taxi ride from Southern Cross Station. This is the interchange where the airport bus, called “SKYBUS” arrives. This bus from Melbourne’s Tullamarine Airport costs $18 one-way or $30 round trip.

Location: If your intended hotel stay is for a holiday, then proximity to the city or the beach or fun parks is crucial.

The tram stop on St Kilda Road (at High Street, also called “Stop 27”) is about as convenient a location you can find given St Kilda Road is the main traffic artery of Melbourne giving you easy access to both the CBD (10-15 mins away) and the south eastern suburbs of St Kilda (beachside), South Yarra and Prahan, amongst others.

Before you leave the hotel for the tram remember you need a prepaid card to use the tram called a MYKI which is sold by the hotel for $14 in a Visitor Pack. The card costs $6 and you get $8 of travel. That is enough for one-day travel in Zone 1. You can recharge the card at tram stops. The Visitor Pack sold by the hotel has all the details including a map of the trams and an explanation of the Zones. For most tourists, Zone 1 is sufficient. For more information see

There are no shops or cafés near the hotel. You can either take a short tram ride from the hotel or walk through the adjacent Albert Park (20 min) to Fitzroy Street in St Kilda where restaurants, bars and cafés not to mention a cinema and a supermarket are located.

If you like your coffee as much as I do then take the #16 tram to St Kilda (this is on the side furthest from the hotel as you walk to the tram from the hotel) and alight just before the beach on Fitzroy Street at stop 135. This is an 8 min tram ride. Walk 5 mins to Acland Street. About 150 meters into the road on the left you will see a warehouse like café called Il Forniao, which opens at 7:30am. It is just after the Prince of Wales hotel. See

One tip: if you like coffee please do not order the standard size. This costs $3.80 and is small. Maybe a small wine glass full. Instead order a large size coffee. This costs around $4.30 or $.4.80 I cannot recall. And this option is NOT listed on the menu. i suppose it is meant for insiders. It is 3x as large and enough to satisfy the coffee addict in you.

Amenities: The hotel has a pool and a gym, but as I didn’t try either I cannot comment. Wifi is available in the room but is both costly, about $24 per day and is very slow. I complained about the speed, but nothing was done even though a pretty staff member did say she will 'immediately' join me in the room to investigate.

I did not try the breakfast, but heard from a neighbouring room that it is expensive.

Value: I booked on a third party site for $120 per night, room only. At that price the hotel represents good value.

Gripes: Just one. I returned to my room at 8:45pm on Saturday and found the room was not cleaned.

I was very angry as I expected my partner to join me later that night. But what would she think looking at such a mess?

I complained to the front desk. And having had many problems in other hotels in the past, I made it painstakingly clear what I expected. I was firm but very polite when I requested the room be made up in the next three hours, as I was going out. I also asked for reasonable, not ridiculous, compensation. I suggested free wifi for my last two 2 days.

Given my politeness, the staff member, Andrew was willing to help me. I made it clear that even though I was unhappy, OF COURSE he, Andrew, was not responsible for the unclean room.

Of course problems come up in hotels. The secret to resolving them and keeping customers happy is having a sympathetic member of staff do his or her best to fix the problem. I still don’t know if Andrew was the manager on duty or just one of the team members, but I do know he fixed the problem to my satisfaction.

All in all this isn’t the Four Seasons, but then neither is the price. For value for money I’d give it a 8 out of 10.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled solo
1  Thank JA-From-Sydney
MercureAP, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Melbourne Albert Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 10, 2014

Dear JA-From-Sydney,

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Melbourne Albert Park. We are delighted that you have taken the time and put so much thought into your review. I’m sure other travellers, will be appreciative of your attention to detail.

I do apologise for the downfall of your room not being serviced in a timely manner, and ampleased that Andrew was able to resolve the issue swiftly for you.

Thank you for taking the time to share your observations with us. We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Kind regards,

Reviewed April 7, 2014

Location is great if you want to spend the night at St Kilda. The entrance to the hotel looked very inviting but the rooms did not meet expectations, the bed was an uncomfortable double bed, the bathroom terribly old and run down, we were excited to be getting a spa bath in our room but neither of us used it, it was the tiniest spa bath we had ever seen and looked very uncomfortable. The staff were friendly and helpful but unfortunately it didn't make up for the disappointment of the room.

Dear Wynita B,

Thank you for your recent review. I agree our hotel is perfectly located for a night out in St Kilda.
I am pleased that you found our staff friendly and helpful during your stay. Our staff pride themselves on making all of our guests feel welcome.

I was disappointed to learn that the room did not meet your expectations on this occasion but hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back for a more memorable stay in the future.

Reviewed April 5, 2014

We stayed one night (29 March 2014). Room was very hot when we entered, heating turned up to full and it took about an hour to reach a comfortable temperature. The room was very clean, good bathroom facilities, comfortable QS bed. Good TV etc. Didn't have time to check out the other "out of room" facilities. Guy that brought our bag up refused a tip, not sure if that hotel policy?
Room was very quiet.
Only complaint - Mini bar prices are over the top.

Room Tip: The hotel is only 100 metres from a tram stop on St Kilda Road which has trams coming along on regular intervals - very handy. Put the car in the underground car park and leave it there and make use of Melbourne's great public transport system.
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
MercureAP, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Melbourne Albert Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 7, 2014

Dear Family_Traveller_...

Thank you for your recent review of the Mercure Melbourne Albert Park. We are pleased that you enjoyed your one night stay with us and that you found our room clean and comfortable.

Our Housekeeping team have been advised of your comments regarding the temperature of the room on arrival, I appreciate you bringing this to my attention.

We hope to welcome you back in the near future.

Reviewed April 4, 2014 via mobile

Stayed here expecting a 4 star experience.... After staying in several hostels around Australia I was really expecting something fantastic but it is very over rated.
Firstly, the reception was so noisy I could not hear the man on the desk. Although fair enough the guy was most polite and did the check in promptly and efficiently.
So there wasnt much atmosphere at the bar. The waiter took soooo long to make cocktails for someone else that I waited over 10 mins to be served and then my drink choice was not available.
Room was ok - had everything we needed although the room was booked for 3 people and there was only a double bed set up. When we contacted reception they sent someone up to pull out a sofa bed. The next night this wasnt made again. And there was only enough glasses/tea cups etc for 2 people.
Parking quite expensive
Good location though - you can get a tram on st kilda road into the CBD.
Breakfast is pretty extortionate I would recommend going into at kilda or into the cbd and having something in a cafe

Stayed: April 2014
MercureAP, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Melbourne Albert Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 6, 2014

Dear holiday602,

Thank you for taking the time to provide detailed feedback on your recent stay at the Mercure Melbourne Albert Park. I was disappointed to hear that your stay with us was not as expected. I am extremely apologetic in regards to not having your correct bedding arrangements and amenities fulfilled during your stay. This was obviously a mistake and I can understand the frustration this must have caused you.

With regards to your experience at our bar, your comments have been noted and will be reviewed by our Food and Beverage Director.

Holiday602, we do hope to welcome you back and perhaps restore your confidence in the Hotel with a future stay.

Reviewed March 30, 2014

Our weekend stay was very comfortable, affordable and conveniently located to CBD, St. Kilda & South Yarra. The staff were very welcoming on arrival and very friendly & efficient on departure. Highly recommend this motel!

• Stayed: March 2014, traveled as a couple
MercureAP, Guest Relations Manager at Mercure Melbourne Albert Park, responded to this reviewResponded April 2, 2014

Dear simlid,

Thank you for your lovely review. It is delightful that you found our staff engaging and friendly at every interaction during your stay. I will be sure to pass on your comments.
We look forward to welcoming you back again.