“Our new favourite in Melbourne ”
Review of Ombra Salumi Bar

Ombra Salumi Bar
Ranked #209 of 4,065 Restaurants in Melbourne
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Reservations
Neighborhood: Chinatown
Description: Ombra Salumi Bar is based on the ideals of preservation and enjoyment. Inspired by the ‘Salumerie’ of Italy Ombra will focus on delivering highest quality cured meats. This preservation refers to the produce as well as the preservation of lifestyle and culture. This makes the most of nature’s abundance by using techniques that for centuries have prolonged nature’s bounty through processes like drying, smoking, salting, fermenting, pickling and candying.
Brisbane, Australia
“Our new favourite in Melbourne ”
Reviewed February 22, 2014 via mobile

We love food. We love Melbourne. This place is incredible. The pizzas are the best we've ever had. The small tasting plates of amazing Italian food is just amazing but the lamb ribs... My god... Worth a trip from where ever you are to get those babies.
Seriously good food in a food capital. Service is incredible. Nicest people and very thoughtful. You must go here

• Polish first
Jakarta, Indonesia
“Love this place”
Reviewed January 4, 2014 via mobile

We live overseas so came for lunch on our trip home for Christmas. As usual the food, wine & staff were all great!

Melbourne, Australia
“Out of the shadow, into the limelight”
Reviewed December 17, 2013

Ombra is a fun, more affordable addition to the Grossi group of Italian restaurants. Despite its name (meaning "shadow"), it seems that just about everyone in Melbourne knows this place and likes it, so the small space often gets packed. On my first visit a big group of Italians suddenly filled the restaurant in the middle of our meal, which increased the feeling of authenticity (as well as the volume level) - anyhow, a good sign. On my second visit I arrived early (6 pm) and the place was more relaxed.

The "inspiration" food here is the cured meats (salumi), but I have yet to try them. I did try the cured snapper with orange, which unfortunately wasn't my favorite - some of the slices were stringy, and the orange didn't blend well. Much better for me were the "fritto" dishes, like the eggplant and also the baccala (codfish). The succulent lamb ribs were really good, too, although not quite the best that I've tried in Melbourne so far. For those leaning more into Italian staples, there are several types of pizza (but no pasta).

The best dessert that I tried here was the "zuccotto", which the waitress informed us is like an inside-out tiramisu. The bread and butter pudding was rather dry (and rather un-Italian), while the gelati were fine without being special (it's hard to be, in this gelati-crazed town). Two other things I loved here are the friendly service and the wine list, which is cleverly categorized (they even indicate if a wine is particularly "challenging"). But it would be great if more of those challenging wines were available in the glass.

I'm sure I will be back here for more visits - it's that kind of place where it is easy to relax and feel welcome - and I hope that the food keeps getting better. Almost (or already?) one year since it opened, Ombra is well in the limelight of Melbourne's dining scene.

• Visited December 2013
Ferntree Gully, Australia
“Ombra Italian !”
Reviewed December 15, 2013

We had a work do here last night, and in one word , delicious!
It was a set menu of tasting plates , so many little tasty morsels that everyone enjoyed.
I have read that the food is authentic Italian, I wouldn't know , have never been there.
All I can say is , the food was fresh, tasty, a little different, so very very good.
Also our service was outstanding.
Well done Ombra !

• Visited December 2013
1 Thank marilynjoy
Sydney, Australia
“Like being in Italy”
Reviewed November 26, 2013

In the middle of bustling Melbourne is this gem serving authentic Italian food with service to match. All the salami etc is made in house so the freshness and quality is superb. Well worth visit if casual dining is required

• Visited November 2013