“Bird Watching day trip”

Melbourne Birding Tours
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Full day and extended birding tours near Melbourne, Australia and beyond. Small/private groups with all birding levels catered for. Friendly, personalized service which includes all meals and hotel pickups and drop offs. A professional, knowledgeable guide with a passion for all Australian wildlife. Tours can be customized to your needs or to target specific species. Use of a Swarovski spotting scope, field guides and binoculars.
Leongatha, Australia
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 26 helpful votes
“Bird Watching day trip”
Reviewed December 18, 2013

We had an exceptional day's birding with Paul Hackett around The You Yangs and Werribee Sewage plant . He collected us from our hotel and we saw over 102 species of birds .We also watched a brown falcon attacking an Eastern brown snake too .Very knowledgeable with vast experience about birds and their calls .Lunch included which was very good .Bonuses were kangaroos and koala .No hesitation recommending Paul most highly.We shall book again with him later in 2014 .

Visited December 2013
1 Thank Alan S
Paul H, Owner at Melbourne Birding Tours, responded to this review, April 20, 2014
Look forward to seeing you both again and thank you for the great review

Linkoping, Sweden
“enjoyed every minute...”
Reviewed December 14, 2013

I had a great time birding with Paul Hackett last week and, I really enjoyed every minute of it. He guided me in the 4 habitats tour and we saw 104 species! We also saw kangaroos and opossum! Paul was very kind and lead me gently into the knowledge of Australian Birds. He has a great professionalism and I highly recommend a tour with him.

Visited December 2013
1 Thank 494margareta
104 species in a day, excellent! Glad to help and thanks for the great review.
Boston, Massachusetts
“Melbourne Birding”
Reviewed November 21, 2013

We had a great time with Paul Hackett during a Saturday in Melbourne. He was waiting for us in the lobby for an early morning pick up. We ended up seeing 8 lyrebirds, which was way beyond our expectation, and saw many more species in the water treatment facility. We even saw a juvenile practicing the mating dance in front of a few other males! And got some good pictures of it!!!! It was a highlight of our entire trip to Australia.

We just recently got into birding and Paul was very accommodating to our skill level, but still giving us the full experience with many details on the birds and the habitats. Paul was very dedicated to making sure we saw as much as possible, and he was very pleasant to be around for the 12 hour tour! He had a constant intensity throughout the tour, and when we started to fade Paul was there with the coffee and snacks. Lunch was yummy, but didn't get in the way of seeing as many birds as possible (we ate aside the car as we viewed a menagerie of waterbirds). He also gave us a checklist which we filled out during the ride home.

Knowledgable, enthusiastic, good sense of humor…Paul is the way to go!

1 Thank bcmormino
8 Lyrebirds is a great birding day! Great to meet you both and thanks for the lovely review.
Jupiter, Florida
“Expert Guide”
Reviewed November 5, 2013

My husband and I had the most delightful day with Paul of Melbourne Birding Tours who not only is an expert, knowledgeable bird guide with terrific local knowledge and access to habitats not available to the ordinary explorer, but he is also great at catering to his client's individual needs and provided us with a wonderful experience of birds and natural Australia. We picked his tour from his website and feel very fortunate that we did. I would highly recommend him as a guide to any birder, expert or amateur.

1 Thank Stephanie G
It was a great day with you and your husband birding, thanks for the great review
Stockholm, Sweden
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Birding southwest of Australia”
Reviewed November 3, 2013

I was on business in Australia last week and I contacted Paul Hacket. Fortunately,he had the opportunity to take me out for a whole-day birding tour two days later (Friday Nov, 1, 2013), southwest of Melbourne. We first headed at a forested, slightly hilly landscape and spotted quite a number of bird species. Several of them would have gone undetected if I had tried on my own since Paul is very good at different bird calls. We also saw an anteater just a few meters away, and small flocks of eastern grey kangaroos. We later headed toward the water conservation area west of the bay and spotted very large numbers of whiskered terns, sharp-tailed sandpipers and red-necked stints. Thanks to Paul´s access to the gates, we could reach good birding spots in the marshlands that were very productive. I was provided a tick-list that helped me remember all species. In total, I saw 92 bird species, hence increasing my Australian bird list from 251 to 271, including 13 lifers. I was offered lunch, fruits and beverages, and certainly enjoyed chatting with Paul, who is very knowledgeable regarding the wildlife in Victoria.

1 Thank Henrik D
13 lifers is a good day! Glad to help and thanks for the review.