“Fantastic way to see Melbourne A MUST DO!!!!!”

I'm Free Walking Tours
Ranked #3 of 280 Tours in Melbourne
More attraction details
Fee: No
Owner description: Discover Melbourne, on a Free Tour at 10:30am and 2:30pm everyday. Join your friendly and knowledgeable local tour guide as we reveal the history, stories and secrets of Melbourne. This 3 hour easy walking tour meets everyday at the statue of Sir Redmond Barry in front of the State Library of Victoria on Swanston St. Rain, hail or shine, no booking needed, just show up and there will be a guide in a bright green T-shirt to show you around. How are we Free? We work on a tips only basis, so everyone can enjoy Melbourne as much as we do, whatever your budget.
Reviewed June 19, 2013

Did the sister walk in Sydney last year and found it fantastic, so decided to see what Melbourne had to offer. It was equally fantastic. Our guide was Charlotte who just oozed enthusiasm and provided some fantastic insight into the history of Melbourne. Did this walk with some Melbourne friends who learnt so much about their beautiful city. This is a must do activity if you are interested in seeing and hearing Melbourne's history.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,533)

Reviewed June 18, 2013

This is a must to do tour !
wether ur are a visitor or staying here.
its a awesome insight into the history of Melbourne.

I met my guide Matt (he's easy to spot "guy with the bright green t shirt" ) at the State Library ,extremely friendly and gives u loads of info about the lanes and their historic relevance .

This tour is free and one can tip the guide as per ones wish.
Begin a Doctor myself I throughly recommend this trip as it's good for your health(a three hour walk) and equally good for your pocket:)

Thanks Matt am definitely doing the tour again before I leave Melbourne.

To all my Indian friends do not miss this tour

Cheers

Dr Aditi Kamat

Reviewed June 9, 2013

We decided we would try the free walking tour of Melbourne. It takes about two and Half hours. The guide was sensational and it was great to get local knowledge and also to hear of the early history. The laneways and the route of the walk we had never been on before. Well done Melbourne. the guide asks for a donation but it is well worth any money you pay for it.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

I've been living in Melbourne for a few months but still rather ignorant to my surroundings. Theres so much to see and learn about a new city. My friend and I went on the free afternoon walking tour of Melbourne. It lasts about 3 hours and combines history with culture. It was great, our guide (Daniel?) was very informative about the history and quirky culture of the City. He was easy to understand and had a great rapport with the other people in the tour group. I highly recommend this tour if you're new to the city or even a local!
At the end you pay "what you feel the guide is worth". Which is a great concept however I could of given more money if I could of afforded it :)

Reviewed May 29, 2013

This is a must-do as an opening overview to seeing Melbourne. A good way to use this tour would be to get an executive summary of Melbourne and make notes on what sections to explore in greater detail later.

I took this tour last week and Emily a student did a remarkably good job with delivering on the tour plan and the script. It is an excellent review of city of Melbourne over three hours, on your feet, across the business centre, Chinatown, local history, parks, arcades, the Yarra riverside - all rolled into one.

It is not a freebie. You pay as you like at the end of the tour. Of course, many paid just AUD 10 - a sharp discount to what others who charge price their tours at. I would strongly recommend an AUD 20 payment.

2  Thank RoadwarriorS25