“A really great orientation to Melbourne”

I'm Free Walking Tours
Ranked #3 of 264 Tours in Melbourne
More attraction details
Fee: No
Owner description: Discover Melbourne, on a Free Tour at 10:30am and 2:30pm everyday. Join your friendly and knowledgeable local tour guide as we reveal the history, stories and secrets of Melbourne. This 3 hour easy walking tour meets everyday at the statue of Sir Redmond Barry in front of the State Library of Victoria on Swanston St. Rain, hail or shine, no booking needed, just show up and there will be a guide in a bright green T-shirt to show you around. How are we Free? We work on a tips only basis, so everyone can enjoy Melbourne as much as we do, whatever your budget.
Reviewed April 19, 2013

I was really glad to have had the opportunity to go on this tour. Daniel the tour guide was very informative, friendly, and he did his best to answer every question and provide funny anecdotes from his own experiences. It's a great way, especially for a solo traveller, to see the sights of Melbourne's CBD area, as I'm pretty sure I would not have seen it myself, or even have known what I was looking at. I particularly liked the second half of the tour, which provided more contemporary description about Melbourne culture and lifestyle.

1  Thank pinkchocholate
There are newer reviews for I'm Free Walking Tours

Reviewed April 19, 2013

It's worthy to spend 3 hours on the tour around central Melbourne You might miss out some interesting area if you are on your own. Very informative and friendly Daniel. Highly recommend.

Reviewed April 18, 2013

Decided to go on the wlking tour after an excellent experience in Sydney with Ross. This time we were guided by Dan who was friendly and knowledgeable. He was very open to questions and did a great job with the content and pace of the tour. We really enjoyed ourselves and it gave us a great base for deciding what to do next during our time in Melbourne. Thoroughly recommended.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

I don't often expect a lot from free tours, but this tour was amazing. Our tour guide, Daniel, took us on a fascinating 3 hour journey around Melbourne. He was very knowledgeable, funny, and made every effort to engage with the group instead of just rattling off stories. I hope more people take advantage of this great deal as it was the perfect way to kick off our stay in Melbourne.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

We *really* enjoyed this tour! Within 24 hours of arriving in Melbourne, we were well informed about history, culture, and cool places to go. Of course all tours depend heavily on the tour guide, but we lucked out with Daniel. We walked a block from our hotel and met up with him and about 30 others in front of the Library. From there we walked for about 3 hours with several breaks, stopping at many places of interest where we learned about the history of Melbourne, the central figures, rivalry with Sydney, street art, shopping, neighborhoods, bars, and more. It was quite fascinating and engaging. At the end, they simply ask for a donation of what you think the tour is worth. Yes, the cheapskates can dash off without paying a thing, but we donated and felt it was not even enough. It is nice that it is free w/o strings and your results can be voted by what you pay at the end. In any case, it was a total win for us!

1  Thank SalsabyJake