“28 Southgate Apartments”

Ranked #52 of 132 Specialty Lodging in Melbourne
Sydney, Australia
“28 Southgate Apartments”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

I recently booked for a one week stay at 28 Southgate Apartments in Melbourne. I booked and then cancelled my booking within 24 hours as I had changed my mind about staying here - I hadn't had confirmation of my cancellation for a few days and rang them and emailed them again but still without a response. When they did respond some 3 days after I had cancelled they advised that they would charge me a 25% cancellation fee and then decided to only charge me 10% of my deposit put down - yes they insist on taking a 50% deposit when booking!. Be warned about booking with this company - they will not repay my deposit in full and they will not reply to my emails or phone calls. I have lodged formal complaints about their operations. They say the cancellation fee is to cover bank fees and admin expenses. Can you believe it? There are many other apartments around that will not charge a 25% cancellation nor demand a 50% deposit upfront - my opinion is to go elsewhere!

Stayed October 2013, traveled with family
4 Thank Lizzie20132013

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 14, 2013

Had a great stay, the apartments were fantastic, the lady who checked us in was excellent. She rang us a couple days after we arrived too make sure everything was ok. She then rang us the day before we left to make sure we enjoyed our stay. I would recommend Southbank Apartments and we will be staying again.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Mel C
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 2, 2013

My experience was a very enjoyable one. Amazing views & the apartment's decor was beautiful. (Comfy beds)
The lady who checked us in was very helpful; explaining how to use the facilities in great detail and recommending fun things to do in Melbourne.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Louise V
Singapore
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 2, 2013

I initially made a booking at the same building via another company, but there was a misunderstanding, as they could not find my booking. In the end, all they had was a single bedroom loft (which I couldn't accept as my mom injured her knees and stairs was a no-no). So just a few days before our trip, I chanced upon this website and then I received an email that a 2 bedroom 2 bathroom apartment was available in 1 Freshwater Place. No time to waste, I pounced upon this availability and it was a steal at AUD250/night, right across the street from Crown - a mere crossing of a road.

The view of the apartment was amazing, and the location was ideal. Parking was just an extra AUD10/day, and it was one swanky place to stay for 5 nights. The Wifi that was also charged on a daily basis (I cannot remember but it was pretty affordable), was dependable and had a strong connection.

I arranged with Helmut on our arrival time, but was about 45mins late as we got lost driving in the city. When we finally arrived and I called him again, he apologised and said that he would be there in 10mins, having already waited a while for us from the pre-arranged meeting time. Helmut quickly took me up to our assigned apartment, showed me where the washing machine and dryer were, and how to operate the heater/air-conditioning, the TV, and the entrance to the carpark. We did not have any problems during our stay as he pretty much covered everything.

The apartment was very spacious, with an open space in the middle where the fully equipped kitchen, living and dining rooms were. The couch was very comfortable and that was where my brother chose to sleep for the 5 nights. The view at night over the river was fantastic, and the skyline over the city was breathtaking. The windows were from ceiling to floor, the apartment entirely carpeted, everything was clean and spotless. 1 queen bed in each room, not to mention that the beds and pillows invited a deep sleep every night!

The walk in the evenings along Southbank was nice, with many eating options and the city was just a 5min cross over any of the many bridges near this building. Right downstairs you have Subway and Macs, and across the lobby was a supermart. There really isn't anything that we could fault this stay on. Except that the walls were pretty thin, and you could hear noises in the night, and the winds howling too.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
3 Thank bizarrebeings
Blenheim, New Zealand
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2013

OMG did we just get lucky? We booked on not 1 night for Southbank Apartments. Off season, so we got such a great bargain. You don't know which of 3 apartment blocks you will stay in until you arrive. The lady we contacted on arrival was not very friendly but Helmut made up for this with his charm and obliging nature. We were lucky enough to score 1 Freshwater Place and were totally spoiled with a 2 bedroom apartment for 2 couples on 39 floor. Gorgeous marble bench tops in the kitchen and bathrooms, comfy beds (most important), quiet, even with the Lions in town!,views to die for. Location was perfect & pool and gym facilities a bonus. We would book here again at the price we paid. Concierge desk staff were awesome, thanks so much. Note: if you have a car-you need to book your park!
Fab that the owners of this apartment are happy to share (yes, we get that they are paid, but all the same...). For a long weekend in Melbourne we couldn't do better, thank you so much.

Room Tip: I guess it depends on the apartment you get, ours was the best! Lady who deals with bookings not so...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Julie D
Perth, Australia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 3, 2013

Stayed at Freshwater Place in a 2 bedroom, 2 bathroom apartment for 3 weeks. The apartment had amazing views, comfortable furniture, good kitchen/laundry facilities and comfortable beds. The location was also fantastic, with views both east and west along the Yarra.

The booking process was below average in that Andrea, Manager of Southbank Apartments, guaranteed me an apartment on the 39th floor as I wanted access to the higher floor facilities (Skyline Club). Over the next couple of months I emailed a number of questions and enquiries to Andrea but got no reponse. Upon check-in, Helmut met me in the lobby and took me to the 19th floor. I explained there had been a mix-up and that I was to be checked into the 39th floor apartment. He told me that wasn't possible and that someone else was currently staying in the 39th floor apartment.
I was able to produce the written confirmation that Andrea had provided me months before, but was told that she was away on Leave and there was nothing he could do until she got back. Helmut was sympathetic but took no accountability for the mix-up, blaming it entirely on Andrea, so to diffuse the problem he offered me access to the pool and gym on the higher floors. He then took me up to show me where the pool was located, and to both of our surprise the pool had been totally emptied for repair. We agreed that given the pool was out of order there was no point in accessing the higher floors and he left saying that Andrea would be in contact with me to explain the change in apartment. Needless to say I have still not heard back from either Andrea or Helmut with an apology/explanation or offer of compensation for the facilities at the Skyline club not being available.

So to summarise:

I think it is disappointing that:
a) I received no responses from Andrea regarding my post booking questions;
b) I was not allocated the agreed upon apartment
c) I was not contacted regarding the change of apartment
d) I was not contacted regarding the higher floor pool being out of service.
e) Andrea never contacted me during or after my stay to apologise or explain the mix-up.

I think the apartment itself was great because:
a) fantastic central location
b) amazing views
c) comfortable furniture
d) spacious well laid floor plan.
e) safe & secure building